Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: M80ti: Problem with Harman / Kardon AVR520
#6263 10/11/02 03:18 AM
veteran
veteran
If you have followed Marc's suggestions and checked the connectors for any shorts and you have done everything to verify you have a good power source (which I see that you have) then I would say it issafe to assume that you are dealing with a problem in the unit. At this point like I said before, if it is new unit take it back and get them to either service it; or if it is brand new get them to replace it. Don't waste any more of your time.

Now that aside, when you the level would blow the other speakers. How loud are you taking about here. I would ask Marc to help you here as I am not familiar enough with your unit as to the volume levels you can drive this at. But any unit if it is being driven hard or starts to heat up too much will go into protection mode. How long does it take for this to happen?

#6264 10/11/02 03:53 AM
D
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
D
Many thanks for your assistance John. I would say that anything louder than -16 places the unit in danger of going into standby mode. More bass, or turning the bass up, makes it worse. As far as how long it takes - *usually* it is rather fast, within seconds of cranking it up past -16 db. I have listened to nearly an entire CD at this volume however without it kicking into standby, but this is rare. Generally the AVR520 does not have nearly enough time to even get warm before it goes into standby mode. I have not tried listening to it for extended periods at low levels however. I suspect that at lower levels it won't happen.

BTW I got the unit at BrandsMall.com for $630 shipped if this makes any difference. The service was good and the unit was shipped quickly but I've never dealt with them before on a problem item.

Doug

#6265 10/11/02 04:06 AM
veteran
veteran
Doug, you very welcome

I think that unit should be happy playing all day at that volume setting. I was thinking you were going to come back saying somewhere in the plus. I think you should give them a call and they more then likely will exchange the unit. Given that this is new. If not then you would be looking at sending the unit too an authorized HK dealer to look at it under the products warranty.
Good Luck and I hope everything gets resolved for you quickly. I know how frustrating this can be.

Regards
John

#6266 10/11/02 04:10 AM
D
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
D
I'll be calling them tomorrow, and you're right it is indeed frustrating. This type of thing wouldn't bother me nearly as much on a $200 receiver. For me, defects become less and less acceptable as price goes up. I know one can never expect perfection but after a certain price point, anything less just fries me up.

Best,

Doug

#6267 10/11/02 04:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with you there Doug.
After a certain price point, one would expect some superb customer service and strongly performing equipment.
However, my 13 month old Maytag washer (just below their top of the line Neptune series) crapped out. It is just past the 1 year warranty for labour so it just cost me $110 for repairs (parts were free). Took nearly two weeks to get a guy to my house due to their tight schedule.
Do you know what its like to recycle your clothes for 2 weeks?
Ya, its frustrating.
By the by, the cable in my washer was 22 ga lamp cord.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#6268 10/12/02 02:10 PM
buff
buff
I have an onkyo receiver that was hooked to a pair of older 4ohm vegas and I could crank the hell out of them with no problems.picked up a pair of m-80's after being told by axiom my receiver would be abel to handel them no problem.......WRONG!turned up the volume to a moderate level and triped off the auto protect.a little bit of heavy bass and off went the protect.talked to the members of this board and got the same results,you should be o.k. check this,check that,it must be this,it must be that.wrong!the answer is quite simple,the m-80's are power hogs!you're receiver will not be able to handle the power consumption of the m-80's.the correct solution is to either pick up a 400 watt/channel power amp or sell the speakers.for some reason these members on this board and the company it's self keep steering unsuspecting consumers to to the m-80's telling them thers no reason you should'nt be able to power these speakers with you're a/v receiver.on the other hand I did pick up an outboard amp and I'm extremly pleased with the results because my m-80's now can finaly sing.

#6269 10/12/02 02:59 PM
veteran
veteran
Murphyman,

I think that your comments are a little out of line. The M80's are not power hogs, they are actually a very easy 4 ohm load for receivers to drive. You do not need 400w per channel to drive a speaker just because the rating says it can HANDLE 400 watts. A measure of how hard it is to drive a given speaker is reflected in the efficiency rating of the speaker such as 95db@1w/1m. the lower the number for example 85db@1w/1m the harder (more power it takes) to drive that speaker. The M80's are actually one of the easier 4ohm speakers to drive. You should really try to understand ratings and specs before you spout off. There are lots of people running these speakers on lesser amps with no problems, and on the same amp as Doug has with no problems. I have run these units off a Yamaha RXV995 a Denon 3802 and now off the Denon 5800. I have even tried them on an old Sansui G5700 just for the hell of it, that is not even rated for 4ohm speakers with no problems at any level.

#6270 10/12/02 04:07 PM
buff
buff
it seems that alot of people have no problem running their 80's off a 50 watt per channel receiver.I'll even bet you I can run them off a cheapo 25 watt receiver but whats the point of even buying these speakers if you can't get them to stand up!I bought the m-80's for power and sound.take a good look at them on axioms web page,six drivers and a power rating of 400 watts!these speakers are not for mellow listening and for small rooms there built for power.sure they sound good at low levels but my point is most a/v receivers can't handel these speakers.my 787 could'nt as for alot of other people on this board who seem to have the same problem.I feel the m'80's are an awesome speaker but this company in my opinion dose or has misrepresented these speakers to the customer on what kind of equipment you can use with them.I don't recall any posts saying my auto-protect keeps going off on my m40'm-50'or m-60's and their sensativity ratings are lower then the m-80's.I feel that I"m not out of line here and only stateing what I have experienced.I would recommend axiom speakers to any one but tell them you need some serious power to run the m-80's.

#6271 10/12/02 04:24 PM
veteran
veteran
Murphymann,

Your own argument defeats your point. Power handling is not a measure of what is required to drive the speakers. The 60 with less sensitivity require more power to equal the SPL of the 80's.

#6272 10/12/02 04:30 PM
buff
buff
try reading it again......the m-60's are less sensitive so they do require more power but they don't seem to be triping off peoples receivers because they don't draw more power from the amp..higher ohm rateing....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup