Rate Thread
Home Entertainment -Receiver / Integrated Amplifier / Speaker
#62792 09/30/04 02:49 PM
romeo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi,

I'm coming out of audio/video hibernation. I'm in Toronto Canada. This is a long post. You may go straight to the questions if you don't want to look at my backgorund. Actually, I've sent several emails to Axiom or private mails to some users for questions.

To make the story short, I used to be a 'hi-fi' hobbist long time ago. I still have my Threshold SA3 (Class A 25 watt each) amplifier, Threshold Fet 10e Pre-Amp, Mission Cyrus II I bought 16 years ago with KEF 105.2, 103.2 speakers with Luxman /Philip CD player for my music listening. I've a Pioneer VSX-9500S for Receiver, Yamaha / Pioneer Laserdisc (remember this?), JVC super vhs for home entertainment. It's all been put aside when my second child was borned 13 years ago. You may have the experience that with 2 little kids around, you've to work hard to make the end meets and find no time to enjoy the music.

Since then, I bought 3 sets of JVC mini hi-fi system each for my 2 children and my wife for easy listening. They still don't ready to appreciate the 'real' music. I don't mean they don't like music but they just couldn't distinguish a good system from an ordinary one. However, I'm fine as long as they enjoy it.

Now my first one just starts her first year university this September and we're back from Hong Kong for vacation (had wonderful evenings with my old hi-fi friends - we migrated in late 80's), I'm planning to revive my interest again. I also want to set up a system so they can compare with thier mini and hope they can raise their listening level.

My intention is to make use of my Threshold again. I know my Pioneer Recevier is old and outdated for HT. I'm aiming for M60Ti for music listening (though my Kef 105.2 is still okay), M40Ti as front speaker, VP150 as centre, QS8 as rear(?) for HT. My music listening room is 14 x 12 x 10(h) and my HT room is 12 x 12 x 8 (h) which open to the kitchen.

Questions:

1) What's the difference between M60Ti and M40Ti?
I've read some reviews and they said it's 'almost' the same except for mid-range and bass. Of course I know the bigger is better normally. Does it worth the $300 different?

2)Will M60Ti be too 'big' for my music room (14x12x10h)? One thing I'm worry is the one of the characteristics of Axiom speaker is clear (but this may mean sharp, hard and dry). I never audition an Axiom Speaker. Do you know anyone have Axiom speaker and wiiling to accpet 'stranger' for hearing in greater Toronto area?

3) Will I be better off to get M40TI plus a Sub for music listening? (money wise is more or less the same)

4) I'm pretty sure to get M40Ti as front in Home Theater? However, some reviews suggested to get another M40TI as centre instead of VP150. Can I put M40Ti horizontally on top of my Panasonic 53" projection TV? Will it affect the sound image?

5) Can I use my Kef Ref. 103.2 speaker to put in the rear? I'm thinking of 5.1, not 6.1 or 7.1 for the time being. Will I gain (other than money) or lose (sound quality, etc.) something if I don't go for QS8?

6)I know most of you talking about receiver. Are there a lot of choices for Home Thearte Integrated Amplifier around? My understanding of the receiver is you just add the Tuner part to the integrated amplifier to call a receiver. I never used the tuner function.

7) Can I use my existing Mission Cyrus II and Pioneer VSX-9500S to drive centre and rear speaker separately?

I apologise for such a long post. Thanks for your time.

Romeo Au

Re: Home Entertainment -Receiver / Integrated Amplifier / Speaker
#62793 09/30/04 03:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome aboard!

On to the questions:

1) The M60ti is more forward sounding, the M40ti is more laid back...a bit more mellow.

2) How far apart will the speakers be, and how far away will you be sitting from them? The M60's do enjoy some space. I'd say you want them at least 6' apart and you should be able to sit back about 10' away from them at best. Your room isn't all that big, a pair of M22ti's and a sub may be a good choice as well.

3) see last comment

4) I wouldn't lay a M40 on it's side, and it's also far too large and heavy to put on top of your tv. Not a good idea.

5) You can use your current speakers in the rear, but tonaly they may not match the Axioms. I also have to say that the QS8's are BY FAR the best surround speakers I've ever used. Use your Kef's now if you need to, but save some money up and get the QS8's eventually.

6) As far as I know nearly all recievers have a tuner. No harm in having it, even if you don't use it. You could always get separates if you want. I have the Rotel RSP-1066 processor and RMB-1075 amp and love it.

7) Yes I believe you can, but why would you want to?

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get plenty more advise.

Re: Home Entertainment -Receiver / Integrated Ampl
#62794 09/30/04 03:47 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
What spiff said. Welcome to the board. If you are in Toronto, you may have a good opportunity. If memory serves me correctly (always a speculative conclusion), Axiom may have some speakers available at a couple of stores/dealers in Toronto. That would give you a chance to do an audition. Give them a call and ask. If not, they aren't very far north of Toronto and they are always happy to have folks show up at the factory and give you a listen.

Good luck with it.

#62795 10/01/04 03:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I live in Toronto and don't mind an "open house" if you give me a week or so. Just have to clean the house a bit after a few years of frequent travel and weekend sloth

I'm out in Scarborough, near Markham and Lawrence. I think there are a few other active posters in the Toronto area.

John

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#62796 10/01/04 03:28 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Don't worry, John, as long as the sound is clean.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: Home Entertainment -Receiver / Integrated Amplifier / Speaker
#62797 10/01/04 12:58 PM
romeo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks.

2) Most likely I'll be sitting 8 feet away from the speaker and I intend to have them 6-8 feet apart.

4) Then I cancel my idea.

6) At first I think I shouldn't spend the money on feature that I seldom(never) used. However, I may have to pay more if go separately. I don't have a AV receiver in mind yet (mostly among Marantz, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer or Yamaha).

7) At first, I think I can buy a 'less powerful' AV receiver and use it to drive the front speaker only and using my old equipment to drive the centre and rear (just want to save some money).

Thanks for sharing.

#62798 10/01/04 01:04 PM
romeo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
It's good to hear someone is aorund the area and is willing to share.

I'm also in Scarborough (Steeles and Pharmacy). I'll send you a private email to give you more information for arrangement.

Thanks for Ray3's suggestion. I contacted Axiom and they welcome us to go. Their office hours is Mon - Fri 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. It's 3 hours drive from Toronto.

I appreciate all your help.

#62799 10/01/04 10:14 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Take your checkbook!!!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics