Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Center channel question
#6323 10/10/02 12:50 PM
OP Offline
I recently purchased a new center speaker (an Axiom VP150). When sitting in the listening position, the speaker is pointed slightly over my head (about a foot). I was thinking of getting two different size rubber feet from the hardware store and putting the larger ones in the back so the center would be pointed lower. The center currently has the 4 small rubber/platic stick on feet.

I have two questions: 1) Do you think this would improve the sound, 2) would there be any negative side effects?

Thanks for the help,
John Flegert

Re: Center channel question
#6324 10/10/02 01:02 PM
veteran
veteran
John, when you say will it improve the sound, meaning will it make it sound better or improve the sound levels?

With respect to will it harm the speaker, No. I have done the same thing with my VP150 since it sat on top of my set and was like yours above the height of my listening position. By tilting it forward it really did not make any difference to the sound. The dispersion of the speaker is wide enough that a foot off axis when given the distance to your listening position should not make any audible difference.

Could you describe what specifically if any are the concerns/problems you are having? There are a lot of very knowledgeable people participating on the message board that will be able to give some very good insight into your concerns.

#6325 10/10/02 01:15 PM
OP Offline
John,

In reply to:

Could you describe what specifically if any are the concerns/problems you are having? There are a lot of very knowledgeable people participating on the message board that will be able to give some very good insight into your concerns.

I don't have any specific concerns, I just thought this might be a simple tweak that would make a difference. Maybe the included "feet" are specially designed and using different feet would cause a problem?

I guess I was hoping for a response like "Yeah, I did that and it extended the bass response, tightened the bass up, and cleaned up the midrange!".

Thanks for the reply,
John Flegert

#6326 10/10/02 02:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Using different feet would not cause you any problems. I personally made a wedge shaped block to sit under that back of the speaker to tilt it down towards the listening area. In my case it did not really make much if any difference, none that I could detect anyway.. My personal feeling was that aimed towards the viewing area directly that I would get some benefit from the fact of being directly in line to the vocal point. In reality it did not make much if any difference in my room setting. Now having said all that don't forget that different rooms have different characteristics and maybe in your area by changing the angle of the speaker in your listening room you will find that it has altered some of the reflective energy maybe bouncing off a wall or the ceiling and will make more of a difference to your setup. You will have to experiment, you won’t harm anything and if you don’t like it then you can always put it back to how it was.

#6327 10/11/02 03:56 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I too, have to decide where to put my center, either above the tv quite a bit, or maybe on its side next to the tv. Has anyone tried putting the vp's o their side next to the tv? or is the shielding not enough?

ayien

#6328 10/12/02 05:55 PM
veteran
veteran
I would leave the VP center channels lying down, as they were intended. They disperse sound fairly well, so don't worry about putting them a tad higher than your listening position.

I used to have my VP150 about 3 feet above my listening position, and it played just as well as it does now staring me right in the eyes.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup