Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: which subwoofer to purchase
#6394 11/06/02 10:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
19BASSPLAYER45: Definitely will have to try it out. Thankfully the fiancee has some stuff from her so it would definitely not a be a waste of a purchase. Shell love me just getting a copy .. if I can find it.

MIKEY:I think you answered the questions that I left unanswered. Firstly I do not have the time to demo all the different subs. So my first criteria is based on how many "hits" I get from reviews out there on the net. Like I did when I found the M22ti vs. Paradigm Studio 20's. I ended up with the M22Ti.

I did not want any negative remarks on the Axiom subs..I just did not see much reviews or praise on the sub. Secondly I always look for technology in products. The AMPs in the other sub have been noted. My preference is first music more than movies. That is why I have a Rotel Home Theater amp not a Denon. So based on things I've heard a smaller tight driver moves faster and cleaner than a bigger slower driver...hence the dual 8 inch driver. For sub you want as much bass extension than just in one place ... hence the bipolar idea. Before the mirage I was going to setup 2 x 8 inch subwoofer ... one in the front and one in the back..to disperse a nice tight evenly distributed bass until I found the dual firing Mirage. All high end home theater and properly configured ones actually have 2-3 subs. The use of having 2 small 8 inch sub was a good idea until I actually thought that 2 x 8 inch sub will cost me $1500 cdn. The last years Mirage BPS-150i is being offered to me by my local supplier for $700. I can't complain. Also take a look at the Energy 8 sub...it is sooo tight..great for music..and has a very heavy magnet. Unfortunately 2 x$700 is better spent on the next Rotel amplifier I need to make my 5.1 to 7.1 plus another purchase of 2 x QS4.

Hope this make sense.

#6395 11/07/02 11:53 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Ahh, the plot thickens.. Ok, two drivers, one box.. Will the effect be the same (or close) to that of two subs located in two different locations within the room ? I don't know why I never really gave this much thought before? I'm a firm believer of multi subs within the same room, but finding a nice out of the way place for two cabinets has been a chore.. Hit me over the head with a 2 x 4, eh ?
I also agree that two smaller subs are better in most cases, than one or even two larger ones.. Quality of product being the deciding factor here.. Those mega buck subs are sweet, but down here in the real world, must of us have to beg borrow n beg some more (read wife here) just to keep the lights running in the old home theater, right ?
One last point: You have only one amp, driving one cone, with the 2nd being passive, correct ? Wouldn't you have a bit more to work with given two amps ? Or does the passive set up meet most of those demands ?
Thanks in advance for any additional imput on this..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#6396 11/08/02 01:38 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
No Mikey, this is simply two smaller drivers instead of one bigger driver. Both are actively driven in phase. The claim is made that since they're on opposite sides of the enclosure, vibration is reduced, but I don't know that this is very significant.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#6397 11/09/02 12:06 AM
P
old hand
old hand
P
my vmps large sub -(1ea)12 inch carbon fiber-(1ea)15 poly woofer, bolth front mount-(1ea)15 inch down firing passive-carverpm-350 amp(350wpc)wired in stereo and running off the stereo lfe channels on my reciever.it dont get any better for under a grand-a budd sold his new svs because my vmps out classed it so much( hes doing research on doing a infinate baffle sub with four 15 inchers)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters