Print Thread
Rate Thread
How far behind me , for QS4's?
#6408 10/12/02 04:12 AM
J
JayB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi Guys, Been seriously thinking about updating my old Yamaha home theater speakers. I think I have narrowed it down to the 22Tis up front, VP150 center and QS4's in the rear.
Question is, with my living room setup, my couch is up against a railing, and then there is a wall about 10 feet behind the couch. I currently have my yamaha surrounds up on stands at the edge of the couch on each side. I would love to place my new speakers behind me...and not on the side of the couch. ( I am hoping to improve the surround effect) but it may be too far away. (I would be sitting about the same distance to the fronts as the rears...10 feet to front speakers, 10 feet to rear) The rears would be wall mounted but its actually a foyer with steps going upstairs and down. Would this be a bad idea? My house is a Split Entry design, if that helps paint a better picture of where I would like to install my rears.

Thanks for the help.

Jay Boudreau
jboudreau@net1plus.com

Re: How far behind me , for QS4's?
#6409 10/12/02 06:23 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jay,the QS4s are rather flexible as to placement and what you describe should give acceptable results. The most commonly suggested placement for surrounds, however is on the side walls about opposite or just a little behind the listening position and about 3 feet above ear level. If this would be feasible in your situation, you should consider it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#6410 10/12/02 12:55 PM
J
JayB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Unfortunatly, on the side walls is not an option. The living room is open to the dinning room and kitchen.

Does anyone use any stands for there QS4's? If I used stands, they would be directly on the side of me (when sitting on my couch)...and probably would only be able to go out as wide as the couch is. I always thought surrounds should be slightly behind you.

The QS4's have front and rear or side to side firing woofers correct? So maybe placing them on stands would be pretty good (with on woofer firing toward the TV, the other firing behind the listening area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jay

#6411 10/12/02 01:50 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Jay B.

I have my QS4's on stands. Works pretty well. The stands have a fixed height of about 33".

I have them just behind and to the sides of my couch. Works very well. I fell I have very good envelopment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,324 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup