Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Another Freakin' Sub Question!
#64201 10/12/04 09:50 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mark, buddy, in the words of Bernie Mac - Chillax. We'll talk you in. It will be okay.

Sometimes, freaking out IS the appropriate response. This is not one of those times. Enjoy the journey.

I'm pretty sure you used up your "just one more sub question"

Here's my experience (albeit limited and amateur) relative to your question on how much truly low frequency content there is. This is just my opinion - anybody who wants to convince me otherwise is welcome to bring good quality beer to my house and give it a go. I think for most (non-electronica) popular music, there is not much activity below 25Hz. The only music I really notice being "wowed" by my sub contains acoustic bass, but I don't really listen to classical or organ music. Relative to HT, it really depends on the movie, but you might be surprised how frequent and persuasive the LFE stuff is. Did you scan these charts?

I'm sure the Axiom subs are brilliant. Smashing. Wicked pissah. Insert colorful adjective here.

It's a personal choice, of course. You expressed some fairly strong desire to NOT have a big black box (or fabric-covered water heater) in your current listening space. I personally think that is a completely valid concern, especially since you will give up little (if any) quality by choosing Axiom over those other brands.

If I were you (and heck, I don't even play you on TV, so what do I know?), I'd buy the EP175 like Alan suggested, enjoy yourself, drink a beer, read the entire beer thread, smoke a cigar, play some tunes, and well, chillax some more. If you move to the attic, buy another one. Live happily ever after.

Or you could continue to torture yourself over this decision. Strictly up to you, of course

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#64202 10/13/04 12:58 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Apparently it falls to me to help add confusion for you. That's usually Jack's job, but he is napping. I concur with Tom - future proof if you know you are going to larger digs; at the very least, plan on the 2 EP175s. (little known fact - 2 subs gets you extra credit on your Man Card).

However, I must take umbrage to your comment about not much going on under 25hz. It is a secret and active place, especially in some DVDs that have been mentioned on the board. the 20-25 space is WHY you get a sub. Embrace the dogma that one cannot have too much LFE. It is good to bleed your ears once in awhile.

#64203 10/13/04 01:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#64204 10/13/04 05:12 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Embrace the dogma that one cannot have too much LFE. It is good to bleed your ears once in awhile.

Hmm.. strange - those sub-audible tones never make my ears bleed (that's why Chad Kroeger was born)... they just make my junk jiggle in only the most delightfu... er, never mind.

Bren R.

#64205 10/13/04 08:43 AM
shareholder in the making
[Mary Poppins]... in a most delight-ful waaaay![/Mary Poppins]

#64206 10/13/04 11:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! Many years ago, in another life, I was the sound tech for a local/regional country rock band. My brother, who is 9 years older, and thus of another generation, always used to sneer derisively, and say "the only reason young people like to go to clubs where the bands are playing at a ridiculously loud volume was because all that low bass rattles their (insert obvious body parts here)." I do believe Bren and Peter have proved him correct!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#64207 10/13/04 11:22 AM
OP Offline
"all that low bass rattles their (insert obvious body parts here)."

OK. New Sub Question, forget everything I've asked before about measly, puny, "ordinary" subs: Where can I get a sub Big enough, Low enough, and Loud enough?

I figure if the quote above has any truth to it, my wife might encourage AND PAY for lots more upgrades to the system!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ordered the 350.....
#64208 10/13/04 12:42 PM
OP Offline
Just so I can stop bugging you guys, I placed my order. Well, really, it was because my clients' finally check cleared and I actually ordered my VP150 and my QS8s as well.

Some recommended that the 175 would be enough for my room, some (basically) said "you can't have enough bass and you should look to a deep, loud SVS". I thought the 350 would be the best compromise between the two: Keeping the finish of my other Axioms, it falls between the 175 and some of the SVS and HSU stuff in performance.

There. Settled. I'm hoping it will reach a little deeper and yet not overwhelm the room.

Now I just have to sit here waiting for them all to come in. Man, that other poster who said he was like a kid at Christmas really nailed it. I buy lots and lots of expensive stuff for my video production business all the time, but I really can't remember the last time I was this psyched for something.

Not to hijack my own thread, but what happens at this point? I ordered my M60s (outlet) about 10~12 days ago, and now ordered the rest via the outlet as well.

Does Amie (listen to me: on a first-name basis already!)send an e-mail to confirm that the order has been sent, or, as I _think_ others have said, do customers get some sort of an estimate when the whole thing is a week or two away or something?

I swear I already hear reindeer on the roof!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Ordered the 350.....
#64209 10/13/04 04:49 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

There. Settled. I'm hoping it will reach a little deeper and yet not overwhelm the room.

There's the great little level control on the back to keep it from overwhelming the room. Let your wife set it.

Bren R.

Re: Ordered the 350.....
#64210 10/13/04 05:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You did great. That will probably be more than you'll ever want, and if you find you do want more you can always order another 350.

So what color did you get? Huh? Huh?

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082