Print Thread
Rate Thread
contemplating purchase
#6436 10/14/02 06:02 PM
S
stolli Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am currently upgrading my audio set-up from 2 channels to 5.1. I just received a HK AVR320 which I am happy with at this point. I currently have a set of Paradigm Mini Monitors which I am also happy with. They were previously powered by a 14 year old Sony ES series Integrated amp (105 W/ch). I need to fix the power switch and this amp will be available for other duties along with my NAD tuner.

At this point I need a center channel speaker and a pair of rear speakers. I will get the sub in a couple of months. I have been reading a bunch of reviews for Axiom speakers and reading through some of the posts on this message board. I originally intended on getting a Paradigm CC370 for center and atoms for the rear. However, I am thinking that I could potentially move the mini monitors to the rear and buy Axioms for the front left, right and center. Choices for the front left and right would be one of the following: M3ti, M22ti, or M40ti. For the center I could use a single M2ti or M22ti (I have noticed some people have done this with good success), or the VP100. I think the price would be similar in the end to getting the all Paradigm set-up.

I will be using the set-up for about 75% music and 25% movies. My room is about 18' deep x 15' wide with the left side completely open to my kitchen and dining area. There is a stair case behind the couch in the main listening position. The couch is about 8' or so from the 27 inch TV. I listen to music (blues, rock, jazz, pop) at moderate levels, sometimes a bit louder. The rear speakers need to be placed slightly behind the listening position and mounted on the wall. I am not sure if this will be possible with the mini monitors. I hope so if I decide to go with the Axioms.

My main question is whether or not I will notice an improvement in sound on moving to an all Axiom front set-up over the paradigms. I am not a huge bass fan, meaning if there is bass I want it tight and not muddy or boxy. I think the m22's may be a good fit and if so what center speaker? The VP 100 does not seem to get the same level of praise as some of the other axiom speakers. I think the VP150 would be a little more than I want to spend if I get the m22's.

Any advice provided would be greatly appreciated.

Take care

Stolli

Re: contemplating purchase
#6437 10/14/02 09:51 PM
shareholder in the making
Stolli, you should significantly improve your sound with an Axiom setup across the front. Assuming that you'll be getting a good sub, the M22s would be excellent for mains combined with a M2 for center. If the budget is a bit tight it would be worthwhile to consider 3 M2s,since the low bass(or rather, the lack of it)on the M2 wouldn't be a problem if a good sub was handling it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#6438 10/16/02 01:34 AM
S
stolli Offline OP
OP Offline
S
JohnK, Thanks for the advice. I think the m22's would be more feasible since the sub purchase would be several months away. Most of my listening would be music.

Have you actually tried the m2i as a center channel with Axiom left and right? Have you ever had the opportunity to compare the m22's to speakers from paradigm line? Monitor 5's could be another option for me.

One problem I may have even if I stick with Paradigm is that my mini monitors are version 1 and retail is now selling the CC370 version 3. Don't know if this would matter. It may not be an issue because I am leaning to the Axioms at this stage.

#6439 10/16/02 03:37 AM
Stolli, my previous reply was intentionally brief and I thought some others might add more details. I have the M22s, but my suggestion of a M2 center is based on logic rather than experience(note the "M2i for center channel" thread here on 10/9 which reports favorably). I'm unenthusiastic about horizontally arrayed center channel speakers and in my experience a small vertically oriented monitor as similar as possible to the mains has sounded better. The M2 has the same drivers as the M22(the M22 has two of the mid-woofers, of course)and should provide a good match. The SoundStage review and NRC measurements of these speakers(which you can find at ecoustics.com if you haven't studied them)tend to confirm this.

I have listened to the MiniMonitor, although not in direct comparison with the M22. You have reason to be happy with them but my impression is that the M22 has a clearer, more revealing mid-range(in fact, I've never heard a better mid-range in any speaker regardless of price). The bass isn't outstanding without a sub, but is adequate in my opinion for nearly all music. A 50hz test CD tone is quite strong in my room and a 40hz tone is still usable, although significantly reduced in volume.

I think that you would be quite pleased with a M22/M2 front, but again don't be expecting great bass until you get a sub.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020