Speaker Positioning
#6522 10/23/02 03:54 AM
A
acgman Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A
I have some M3Ti's I may want to put in "odd" positions. I know orientation changes the sound but I do not understand the theory behind it. Assuming my speakers are on 24" stands as the reference, what is the effect in layman's terms of:

o moving the speakers on their sides, tweeters in.
o moving the speakers on their sides, tweeters out.
o keeping the speakers directed at the listener, but moving them closer to the floor (say from 24" down to 6").

The best bet is for me to just play with it... I would be curious about *expected* results though. Thanks!

Re: Speaker Positioning
#6523 10/23/02 02:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Acgman,

Axiom speakers are designed to produce the widest possible lateral dispersion, because NRC research has shown that the more consistent the sound is at increasing lateral angles from the speaker (off-axis), the more spacious and open the speakers will be judged in blind listening tests. At least half the sound that reaches your ears is comprised of secondary reflections from walls and objects to the sides of your speakers, so making the response off-axis as similar as possible to the on-axis (in front of the speaker) response is one of the main design goals.

Now, sit and listen to your M3ti's with them in a normal vertical position. Play music with wide frequency content and lots of treble and high frequencies. Listen carefully as you slowly stand up--the tonal balance will change to a greater or lesser degree.

This is caused by cancellation and lobing effects between the woofer, the tweeter, your particular room, and the tweeter's vertical dispersion characteristics. If you then lay the speakers on their sides with the tweeters in, the dispersion of the tweeter in lateral directions will be uneven and the aforementioned cancellation effects will be imposed on the speaker's lateral radiation. So it will sound different if you move to one side or the other, just as it did as you slowly reached a standing position.

Placing the M3ti's with the tweeters out will introduce a similar set of interference and cancellation effects which may or may not sound all that different than with the tweeters in.

You can conduct these tests in mono with one M3ti vertical and one horizontal in each position, ideally on stands out from any walls. Switch between them as you play the same musical content. They will sound different, I assure you. You may accept the changes to the spectral balance and find them inconsequential. It depends on the particular speaker and your listening room, and where the speakers are positioned. Placing the speakers on shelves in a horizontal position introduces even more effects from adjacent surfaces. Reflections from these surfaces cause cancellatios and emphasis at different frequencies, causing the tonal balance to change and almost always worsen.

This happens when you place any speaker on the floor as well. Typically you will get a 3 dB increase in bass and upper bass emphasis. Male vocals may sound "full", fat or chesty. If you tip the speakers back, these effects may lessen somewhat.

I have done blind listening tests in the past to some very expensive floorstanding speakers ($7,000/pair in the '80s) that had a large woofer very close to the bottom of the speaker's front panel. The speaker sounded very boomy and fat. When we raised the speaker off the floor by 18 inches, it sounded far better, and got much higher scores in the listening tests.

When you change the orientation of any speaker to something other than the designer intended, you are basically undoing all the careful engineering that went into adjusting the speaker's dispersion to yield the smoothest tonal balance and consistency over a broad horizontal angle to the front of the speakers.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Re: Speaker Positioning
#6524 10/23/02 03:52 PM
A
acgman Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
A

Thanks a lot Alan for your response. Some questions that arise for me are:

o are the dispersion characteristics of the Axiom woofer and tweeter "similar". I assume there are frequency dependencies, but is the pattern identical whether vertical or horizontal (my main speakers are electrostatic speakers with a well defined beam... it is clear how much better they sound on stands than the floor).
o regarding drivers and other surfaces "interfering" with each other. I was once given the analogy of throwing two stones in a pond for bass cancellation with subwoofers. Is this essentially the same thing that occurs at higher frequencies, or are there other factors involved?

I have very limited knowledge of this area.. thanks for helping (I will also do the tests you suggest...).

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044