what are the competitors to the M60's
#65283 10/21/04 03:32 AM
L
laring Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
Ok, I know there are so many speakers, and so many threads covering some of this stuff. I have listened to the Paradigm Monitor 7's, and loved the seperation of the music, and how clean, accurate and warm they sounded.

In another store, I listened to the Polk Monitor 70's (and why do these speakers have almost the same name?), and I liked them, but not as much as the axiom.

What other speakers are out there at the pricepoint of the M60's that are worth a listen.

I'm stilling trying to find someone in the Phoenix, AZ area that I can get a listen to the axioms.

Re: what are the competitors to the M60's
#65284 10/21/04 05:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Tough call. I never had the cahnce to listen to the Axioms before I dropped a chunk down on my M60's, VP150. and QS8 setup. From my research (which I had to do a lot since I couldn't listen to Axioms and wanted to be confident about buying something I hadn't heard), you are right in thinking that the Axioms are a more accurate and better value than the Paradigms and Polks that you mention. A bunch of my Parasigm info comes from my brother-in-law who had me sold on Paradigms a couple of years ago, but even he, a die hard Paradigm fan, switched to Axiom. He had the Monitor 7's and went with the M60s and thought that they were considerably better. It is too bad that I have not been to his house (he lives way too far away) since he got the Axioms, but it sure helped getting his feedback.

As for the Polks, I listened to them at a local shop, and I was not overly impressed. They were a lot better than my last set of speakers, but then again, those were KLH's from 1992. Just about anything sounds better than they did. I just expected to be blown away by the Polk Monitor 70's, but I wasn't...

As for other competitors, good luck. I know that you can find better products out there, but not for the price.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#65285 10/21/04 05:22 AM
M
local
local
M
Hey Laring, by all accounts the M60's sound very much like the B&W 703's. Give those a listen and you'll have a good idea of what you need to find in a sub 1,000 tower to match the M60's ( its going to be a hard task ). I've heard the M22's ( and waiting for M60's ) and they really are as good as people say.

As far as competitors I don't think you will find anything that can equal the price & performance offered by the Axiom line in any retail store. Other online competitors would by Rockets by Onix, Ascend speakers. I haven't heard either of these but others may beable to comment.

Cheers, Jag

#65286 10/21/04 05:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Laring,

If you wanna give the B&W's a listen, I would recommend this shop in North Phoenix. It's part of the Desert Ridge shopping plaza. I believe the name of the place is "Sounds like Music" or something to that effect. I've been there and they have very nice gear ranging from Krell, B&W, Rel, Velodyne, Marantz, Meridian, and Rotel. Sorry I can't be of more help.

#65287 10/21/04 06:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Have you PM'ed "gibaholic" ?

From the "Auditioning Axioms in your area" thread :

Phoenix - M60s, QS8s, VP150 - (gibaholic)

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#65288 10/21/04 12:52 PM
L
laring Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll go over and have a listen to the B&W's today. I have 4 mission 701 bookshelves, and an old B&W bookshelf for my center now. I know it is kind of a patched together setup.

I'm hoping to do this in stages, since I know I won't have the $8k or so for the TV, receiver, speakers and DVD player (along with getting a nice in-wall entertainment center built) all at once.

My first thing is the TV. Then I'm hoping to get a HSU sub. Then maybe the speakers, and then the receiver. I figure the longer I hold out on a receiver, the better the receiver will be, since they change every 8 months or so.

I'm hoping to have all of this done over the next 12 months or so, but I would like to pull the trigger on the tv and speakers in the next 6 months (another 3 months on the TV, when the house we are building is complete, and then the speakers 3 months after that).

If you want to help my cause, let me know if you or anyone you know needs a highly professional web site built. That's what hopefully will be funding this whole thing (www.digitalsoybean.com is my site)

Thanks again for the info, and I'll let you know what I thought of the B&W's.

Larry

#65289 10/21/04 01:40 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't think there ARE any......considering the... sound quality,... price,... service,... and custom finishes..... (most speaker companies seem to offer only black or some shade of cherry finish).

In fact, I sometimes wonder why for $400.00 dollars.... (or less) these days, what people expect...........egg in their beer?
It is kinda funny to picture all these people lugging all kinds of speakers home (in the lower price range), and then returning them because they don't sound good enough).

Seriously, ( unless maybe in the "furniture appeal" area), I think without going WAY up in price, the Axiom line has a huge advantage.

IMO, one would perhaps have to go to..(for example) Electrostatic type speakers.... ($$$$$$$$$$), to find an advantage over "box" speakers.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#65290 10/22/04 01:50 AM
L
laring Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
Jag,

Well I listened to the B&W 703 fronts, DS6 surrounds, HTM2 center and a Rel Q150 sub. WOW that was impressive. Granted, the total cost of that would be more than triple the price of the Epic 60 set up. If you are saying that the M60's are even in the same ballpark (let alone on the same level of sound quality, clarity and sepration) as the 703's, then I'm sold sight unseen/unheard.

I also listened to some Kef speakers that were twice the price of the B&W703's, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with those compared to the B&W, especially since the Kef's were even more money.

I'll try and see if I can have a listen around here, but worse comes to worse, I'll buy them and if I don't like them (which from all the good things I've heard, I don't expect to be the case) then I'll return them.

Thanks for all the feedback!

#65291 10/22/04 04:20 AM
M
local
local
M
Sounds like a Plan!

Be sure to report back on how they work out for you. It always nice to hear how impressed new owners are. I can't wait for mine.

Good Luck, Jag

#65292 10/22/04 04:51 AM
local
local
Jag had already mentioned it, base on what I read I think the best competitor to M60 is the Onix Rocket 750, if you get the B-stock they cost about the same as M60. If you don't mind bookshelf then you should audition Dynadio Audience 52SE.

But the customer service from Axiom is second to none, they never pressure you to buy their higher end stuff, nor would they ever recommend something you don't need. I wanted to upgrade from M2i to M22ti, Amie said no problem, and the upgrade was gladly sent my way no question asked. Then I found a woofer has dents on it, most people probably would ignore them but I wanted all woofers to be perfect, and Joe said no problem, he'll send a new woofer right away, again...no question asked, and guess what? it was here infront of my door in 2 days. Personally, I think the customer service alone worth almost half of my speakers cost!! sure, there might be better products out there at the same price point, but you'll be hard pressed to find better customer service. And no, I do not work for Axiom nor am I on commision, I'm just another very satisfied and happy M22ti owner. :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters