Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is the ideal acoustical environment?
#65338 10/26/04 01:33 AM
veteran
veteran
Well, Ray, as you may have already guessed, there really is NOTHING that you can do with an Emu hide. really, an Emu is a large chicken with a very strange snake-like head that likes to bite you. That said, it's "hide" is mostly made up of large feathers that are good for almost nothing. The parts of its body not covered with feathers (feet) are covered with a sort-of-leather that may make a nice pair of boots but is probably too tough to make a couch out of (and besides, it would take a LOT of Emu's). By the way, an Emu is smaller than an ostrich and has a smaller "plumage" of tailfeathers in the back. Plus their heads are really freaky what with the snake-like-ness and their like to try and bite you.

That said, mostly you throw an Emu hide in the garbage.

and don't ask me why I capatalized Emu every time I wrote it, it's that whole LSOB (lazy sob) thing that people have been discussing in other posts...I am actually in the middle of writing a paper for an English class so I like to get away from proper spelling, punctuation, etc...)

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#65339 10/26/04 05:20 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

What DOES one do with an Emu hide

its the poor mans ostrich skin leather!! for real...

emu skin is very popular in texas for making all sorts of leather goods. boots, purses, wallets, check book holders, portfolios, brief cases, and even pocket protectors. the emu leather is very similar to ostrich, which is very expensive. but both are very durable. i have an ostrich skin wallet that my wife bought for me 7 years ago, and it still looks great. a little frayed on the edges, but still in great condition.

looks like this

they get much darker after use, mine is almost black.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#65340 10/26/04 05:54 PM
veteran
veteran
The emu story is actually kind of a sad story (at least in Saskatchewan) quite a few people got into the livestock end of Emus because, apparently, there are many great uses for an Emu, including its "oil" and its leather. (what its oil can be used for I do not know, supposedly cleaners or deoderizers can be made from it) The actual meat is quite lean but tastes rather like copper. Anyways, there were several Emu farmers but no-one invested in any systems to actually make anything out of the Emus and so they were mostly slaughterd and made into jerky... I know this because my father's shop is one of the few in Sask. that is federally inspected and will actually book slaughters for this type of thing. (And, if you want to sell any meat that is processed in Saskatchewan in any other provinces it must be federally inspected while being slaughtered to prevent the spread of disease, etc...) He also does a lot of bufallo for people who sell that kind of meat in farmers markets and the like...

Man, this has to be the strangest thread hijacking I've ever seen, nevermind taken part in :-)

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#65341 10/26/04 06:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
So, would a slaughterhouse be an ideal acoustical environment?

#65342 10/26/04 09:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Well, I can't say that I've tested this out, or that I've seen very many slaughterhouses, but I would say no.

Simply put, the floor is bare concrete, the walls are covered with tin (for ease of cleaning) and the celing is about 20 feet high (not to mention that the slaughter room is rather squareish) and it almost always VERY loud in there (I'd say that Alan's 90-95dB very loud in his discussion of amp power is about right at times).
On the plus side, he does have 3 phase 220v power, and it IS right next door to the transformer station...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters