Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Home Theater Master MX-700
#65476 10/21/04 11:49 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Anybody have one? I’m curious about the build quality and the longevity of this remote. I would love to hear any feedback on this. It seems like it would do the job and more .
If anyone is interested I found a good deal on one.
http://www.trendsandgadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=5551&osCsid=510e818a0337a6585fb8797163be1c73

Thanks,

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
Re: Home Theater Master MX-700
#65477 10/21/04 11:51 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Oh, you'll get feedback. Certain people are rather in love with that remote.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#65478 10/22/04 12:43 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm too lazy to do a search, but I'm sure we've discussed it some.

Ray3, his wife and the remote have this living "arrangement". He's the resident evangelist, and I thank him. He helped both me and Jack to see the right path (and not stumble too much while following it).

The remote rules. I'm very happy with the functionality and the build quality. Good software, too. Highly capable, and very user friendly. I was astounded at how easily it swallowed up all the functionality in the much-touted Tivo remote when I added that device to our HT.

Some people like the Prontos, too. I'm a satisfied MX-700 customer.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#65479 10/22/04 12:53 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm hoping the remote will help simplify certain tasks (I make it sound like it’s work ) like watching a DVD or the Dish. My wife is totally intimidated and frustrated by the current system and I really don't blame her. I’m trying to make it user friendly for her mainly. I don’t want to spend a fortune trying to automate my system like I do for my customers.

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#65480 10/22/04 01:13 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Tom, that is EXACTLY why I bought the thing, and it has paid off in full. You set up macros for, literally, whatever device functions you want. If my wife wants to watch a DVD, all she has to do is press/hold the DVD button from the main screen. It doesn't matter what the system is doing at the time, or even if any of the components are "on". The macro turns on the receiver, TV and DVD player and sets everything to the right sources and settings - with one button. It is magic.

I've only scratched the surface of its functionality. That is, it will do a lot more than I have implemented. But I really like the PC-programmable aspect of it. You can download and install the software ahead of time; playing around with it will give you a good idea of how the thing works.

Go check out Remote Central for reviews and files. One of the nice things about this remote is that you can import some Pronto device commands.

Manuals are here

But, judging from Ray and me, it might make you go bald. Other than that, it's great.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#65481 10/22/04 01:21 AM
devotee
devotee
I'm waiting on it's successor, the Orion....then I will be buying one

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#65482 10/22/04 01:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, no remote is perfect, but I absolutely LOVE the MX-700. I've had the Sony 3000, and the Harmony 659, and am much more satisfied with this one. One of the many things I like about it is it's strong signal and wide dispersion. Unless there is an object directly in the path of the signal, I can just about aim this puppy anywhere, and get results. I can hold it comfortably, almost pointing directly at the ceiling, and have no problems whatsoever. Build quality is excellent.

Depending on how you program it, operating it can be simple or very complicated. Learning to program it takes a little study, but once you get it, it gets fairly easy. I just had to redo all my macros due to a firmware upgrade to my HDTV. Though it took a little time, it was pretty easy. If you want, you can download the MX Editor Software, an MX tutorial, and the MX Editor Programming Manual here, and fool around with it to see what you think.

To make things easier for you spouse, you can pick up the MX-200 Sidekick, which is designed to work with the MX-700, for as little as $50. You can program the MX-700 to do what you want it to do, and program the MX-200 for your wife. You can find the Sidekick Manual on the same page as the MX-700 Manual.

Two negatives. If you have the remote on a flat surface, like a coffee table, and want to push any of the buttons closest to the edges, you must steady the remote or it just tips when you push the button. Also, the button and screen back lighting is great if you're in a completely, or nearly, dark room. But, if there's a fair amount of light in the room, it's aggravatingly inadequate.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#65483 10/22/04 01:37 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hiya Tom,

tomtuttle is an evangelist in training for the MX-700. In short, the remote is terrific. I'd suggest however, that you pick one up from RemoteSurfControl for a couple of reasons. Most important - they are an authorized dealer and you'll get a full warranty. Also, their guy Mike is a regular contributor and support provider at Remote Central (go there and review the Home Theater Remote forum) and rivals Axiom for Customer Service. May be a few bucks more and it will be an "open box" if you want to save some money (guaranteed to be pristine on arrival). Now to the remote (some of this may be redundant - I'm copying from 3 different postings I did)

It's an absolute beast! Does everything and controls up to 20 devices. Tom poinred you to the available files and they are plentiful. As Tom suggested, go to Remote Central. In the Files section find the MX-700 and download the MX-Editor software and Programming Manual (a must read).

Once you read the manual, you will be able to use the 600 MX-700 files in the Files section or the 7,000 files in the "Philips Pronto and Pronto Pro" section. I prefer the Pronto .ccf files because you can simply drag & drop each command using the Universal Browser feature of the MX-Editor software. Matter of fact, you can play with the software and load your devices without having the remote. You upload/download between the remote and PC (no Macintosh though).

Your prime concerns would be to get a user friendly device to replace a collection AND to have it be user friendly. The 700 does all of that & more. There is no mistake in buying this remote. I will mention that you can set up macros such that a single button push will switch you from what you are watching/listening to to what you want to watch/listen to - turns things on & off and switches inputs for TV and receiver. VERY high on the spouse-o-meter for simplicity. If the wife is heavy on the "one button" thing, this puppy delivers handily.

I have a one-button macro for each device. The SAT(satellite) macro turns on the TV, SAT receiver, Denon receiver, flips the TV to the correct VID, flips the Denon to the correct audio and I'm ready to go - one button.

Also set up a device called "SWICH". This was done for self-protection from my wife. "How do I go from the satellite to the DVD player?" I set up macros for the permutations to go from what you are watching/listening to the what you want to get to watch and listen to. For example SAT_DV turns off SAT, flips the TV to the DVD VID, flips the Denon to the DVD audio, turns on the DVD and opens the tray. All she needs to do is drop the DVD in the drawer.

If you want to get into more detail, drop me a PM. Also, I'd be glad to help you with the programming (as likey would Tom and Jack). I'm thrilled with mine and expect you would be as well. Hope this was helpful.

#65484 10/22/04 01:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now you guys have got me interested. What kind of a deal did you find on it tleigh?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#65485 10/22/04 02:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
TrendsAndGadgets.com says the MX-700 comes with a "valid US warranty," but they are NOT listed as an authorized dealer on the Universal Remote Control web site. UPS ground shipping is $9.93.

I just hit SurfRemoteControl.com and they don't seem to have any open box models available at the moment, unless I missed them. But, Bluedo.com, another authorized dealer has open box (mint operating condition) models available. To get it from an authorized dealer, with warranty, it would be about $20 more than the deal from TrendsAndGadgets.com, because shipping is free if you remember to use the coupon code posted on the product web page when you check out. It's your call.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082