Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Which set would suit me best?
#6665 10/30/02 11:53 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hey, I'm 16 and love music. So, for my room (a fairly small space) I've decided its time to get a real 2 channel stereo setup. I've heard great things a/b axiom, but nowhere around me in Cincinnati has any of there stuff to demo. So, My question is what set of speakers would give me the best sound quality for Alternative/Indie stuff like Elliot Smith/Badly Drawn boy, and lots of older stuff like neil young (after the gold rush!! haha). I don't listen to much rap, but I still would like decent bass (which shouldn't be too difficult since the room isn't huge). I don't have a preference between bookshelf or floorstanding, and I think the highest end I could go is the m60 factory outlet model. But, I also don't really want to get anything that will be COMPLETELY overkill, a little bit is great, but I don't need a mercedes to cross the street ya know? Well, thanks for the replies, sorry if this question's been asked before!
-Ben

Re: Which set would suit me best?
#6666 10/31/02 01:32 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
I would honestly think twice about towers if it's just for a small room. We just moved to a new place with a larger rec room (400 square feet), and the M40s finally sound the way they should...the room they were in before created all kinds of placement and tweaking challenges. I have a sneaking suspicion M60s will be WAY too much for a small room.

A good approach might be to get a pair of M3s AND M22s, and a small sub (EP125/175, or any of dozens of other manufacturer's subs). Keep whichever pair of speakers sounds better to you with your music tastes, and let the sub handle the deep bass when you're in the mood for it.

Spend the extra cash on a good integrated amp, rather than a cheap receiver.

#6667 10/31/02 04:00 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Ben, one of my setups is in a small room for stereo music only. I got the M22s for that and they're great in that role. Although our tastes in music may be a bit different( I like oldies, e.g. Ravel, Rachmaninoff,etc.)the M22s have enough bass in a small room to suit nearly all music, in my opinion. Give them a try and if you have to have more bass, consider adding a sub. Since you love music, don't fall into the trap of spending more on equipment than on the music itself. A basic stereo receiver will do fine unless you're planning to go multi-channel soon. Keep enough money to buy lots of CDs; you might even try some of those "oldies" that I like.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#6668 10/31/02 04:53 PM
veteran
veteran
I would not get towers if I were you. My original purchase from Axiom was when I was still living with my parents. I bought M3's and an EP125. It was excellent. However, without the sub and the M3's set to large, there was still god bass when they were about 2 inches from the wall.

Last night, I moved my M22's 2 inches closer to the wall, so they are about 1.5 inches from it, played them Large and put on a track with some nice tight bass and the M22's went down nice and low, tigh and controlled. If you have a good amp (50 wpc rms or more), get the M22's if you can afford them, and even better, get a sub with them. If you can't afford one, though, they will play a very respectable amount of bass. I was very delighted at how much bass they put out. I also tested them with Modern Cool's track 4, and the bass was very real.

Actually, if you are looking for a used EP125, send me an email.

#6669 11/01/02 12:37 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hmmmmm, so no towers huh? hmmmm, well I don't think I want a sub only because the stereo setups I've heard with smaller l/r and sub don't sound QUITE as together as the setups w/ big L/Rs. Sorry to say this hear, but are there any other brands I should be considering? And who makes a good stereo receiever (I've been lookin at denon). Thanks much for any help w/ all of these questions!

#6670 11/01/02 12:50 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Ok, after checking out about 40 reviews on the m22s I think they'll be perfect for my needs. Any ideas on a good set of speaker stands?

#6671 11/01/02 03:07 PM
veteran
veteran
Give Marc Hallam a call at the
http://www.audioshopcanada.com/

order atlantis sbf20 stands. they're VERY good and not very high priced.

#6672 11/01/02 04:24 PM
regular
regular
I took delivery of a pair of FO M22s yesterday and delivery of a pair of StudioTech Model SP-36 speaker stands on Wednesday to be used for the M22s. The SP-36 is a basic 3" tube with a flat black powder coat. The top plate measures 6" x 6" and is a good match with the bottom of the M22s which measure 7.5" x 8.5". These stands are available for less than $100US on the web. StudioTech Midfi Stands

Dave

#6673 11/01/02 06:50 PM
D
veteran
veteran
D
DaveMoses,

I have to say those studiotech stands are very similar to the atlantis sbf20's I have as stands for my M22's.

Superpabs, I would say that either of those stands will do well for the M22's, if they are as similar as they appear. Although 20" should be tall enough if you are using these speakers as your mains.

DaveM - Why the 36" stands for your M22's? I assume you are using the speakers as surrounds?

DL

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters