Print Thread
Rate Thread
Farewell to the cassette tape
#67089 11/03/04 05:58 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
As most of You are aware, the pre-recorded cassette tape is all but gone....except for some left-overs and promo type, greatest hits.
This has been coming for a while now,...with the advent of cd's, etc.
You may wonder...so?
I am not quite ready to see them off just yet....one of My vehicles has the rarest of features....a great OEM AM-FM cassette player. It's kinda nice to take a more "expendable" music tape with Me, rather than take a rare, expensive cd out and about. I also have some titles not availible on cd as well. (titles not on cd's...that's a LONG list).

The end of tapes and their players, (the quality "single well" home stereo type) is (like the current VHS tape situation), primarily being "forced" a bit, to prop up poor cd sales..(and in the VHS example to make way for the DVD sooner).

I know,.....I know,......when one would turn UP the volume on a factory cassette tape, it sounds like Someone just put a whole package of "Jimmy Deans sausage" in a fry pan..........on a way too hot grille....and Dolby,...well.....just didn't "cut it" (just the "highs").....but, starting in the late 80's, with the addition of metal tape, XDR mastering, and on some tapes, quality shells,.....there was hope.
The best examples were recently, with the "companion" cassettes that were issued ( re-mastered ) at the same time as the cd's, but...too little, too late.

I just felt like expounding on this subject.......even though I embrace the new technologies,.....it seems like the old gets "swept away"..before it's time......kinda makes ME feel old before MY time too.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Re: Farewell to the cassette tape
#67090 11/03/04 06:04 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

it seems like the old gets "swept away"..before it's time

i agree.. BRING BACK THE 8-TRACK!!!!!!

i havent listened to a tape in about 3 years. in fact, it was an old mix tape i found at my moms that i made when i was probably in junior high. it had all my favorites from back in the day. motley crue, ratt, dio, iron maiden, scorpions, judas priest, kiss, and a few dokkens for the chicks. geez, what was i thinking?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#67091 11/03/04 06:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LT61,

I know what you mean. I stare nostalgically at my last cassette machine, sitting there unused and gathering dust. It was an amazingly good Sony Dolby S deck. Dolby S was a consumer version of Dolby's professional SR noise reduction, but it never really caught on in the consumer sector and it came a bit too late, some years after Dolby C appeared.

I was reluctant to abandon cassettes for road listening, and the aftermarket in-dash unit I got, which operated a CD changer in the trunk, also had a motorized flip-down front panel that revealed a cassette deck within. I used it for a few years for old compilation cassettes I'd made up, but then CD dominated everything.

The real problem is what do you do with all those old cassettes? Throw them out? I hang on to old formats far too long, even though I never play them. ..

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#67092 11/03/04 07:33 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
8 track's were a bit before I got into music......pity........it would be another subject on which to pontificate for Me.

By the way, is this bigjohn or johnisbig?

Larry

Last edited by LT61; 11/03/04 07:34 PM.

(Larryism)
#67093 11/03/04 07:43 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

By the way, is this bigjohn or johnisbig?

one is me, and one is my evil alter ego.

it was a bad joke, gone bad!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#67094 11/03/04 08:05 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I think the music companies WANT us to throw the cassettes out....(LP's too)....so We will buy Our favorite titles...in each and EVERY new format.

Larry

(Larryism)
#67095 11/03/04 08:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
After all... music older than 10 years old is unnecessary, unless of course, it's rereleased with 48 hours of previously unreleased material from a mic accidentally left on in an empty, idling tour bus. and remastered in Cubebase at 17 bit resolution.

Bren R.

#67096 11/03/04 09:34 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
It's true,.... the barrel has been scraped clean....most of the "good" material from My old dinosaur bands........has been released many times over....especially poor Jimi....if the man dropped his guitar.........Someone has likely released a cd of it sometime, somewhere.

That being said....I STILL like most of the "old stuff"......They practiced their instruments...and could really rock!
Classic music indeed.

Last edited by LT61; 11/03/04 09:37 PM.

(Larryism)
#67097 11/04/04 11:11 PM
K
veteran
veteran
K
I share the same nostalgia and pain, I suppose. One of the more fun pieces of equipment I purchased back in 1990 for my first "real" stereo system was an incredible cassette deck by SAE (Scientific Audio Engineering). It had a Sendust head which supposidely is very rare for a cassette deck, but it made it sound better than any other deck I had heard to date. The unit design was really great, too, because it had a tray that opened slowly outward that allowed you to lay the tape down flat to play it. You could also play it with the tray open or closed. It really was such a fun piece of equipment that I hate not getting to use it now. I loved making tapes for people with it because it not only produced a decent quality product, but some of the features made the deck much easier to deal with. You had the option to choose what size tape you were using, and then it would be able to calculate how much time was left on the tape no matter where you started on the tape itself, for example. Very smart piece of now antiquated equipment.

I'm not even sure, but does anyone know if SAE is around anymore? They really put out some great pieces of equipment. And the look of them was much more interesting than the run of the mill stuff you'd find at the generic electronic stores. Much more "professional" looking in the outter design with the LED lights they would use.

#67098 11/05/04 12:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I call it progress.

If ya have something on tape you can't get or don't want to rebuy just record it on the PC and burn to a CD!

This comming from someone back in the 80's early 90's that single handedly kept BASF in business (recording anything I could get my hands on).

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044