Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ROCK N' ROLL...........REST IN PEACE, OR PIECES?
#67815 11/11/04 06:04 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Another lunch hour,...another op.-ed. piece.

Upon receiving My M60"s....began a period of intensified music listening, cd buying, and "sonic bliss".
I have also become more aware of the changes that have taken place in music itself.

Music has always been a big part of My life, from My first 45 rpm record, ("born to be wild" by Steppenwolf).... till today's cd's. I even taught Myself to play the electric guitar, emulating My heroes.

I believe music is a spiritual thing,..........food for the soul.......but,.....I have begun to think not for everyone.
The last few years, I've noticed that there weren't too many People My age in the record stores (yes I still call them that) anymore.
Apparently there were many young People "back in the day", that were in music for other reasons........maybe to follow a "trend", a pop star, or they were just looking for a good dance beat.
Anyway, it looks like they have stored away Their "picture sleeve" 45"s,.....and moved on,.........LONG ago.

It seems unfair......after all, many of those who used to "crowd" into the record stores, and whose many "pop stars" often would "crowd" more talented, songwriters and performers, off the charts.......never had their "hearts" in it.

Right around 1992,..... Rock music (My kind of rock, blues, etc.)
was......................GONE,......SHATTERED.... into, Alternative, Grunge, Rap, Hip-hop, Ska, etc.
I used to think, no matter what kind of "music" the next Generation(s) came up with,.........I would still be into the "cool stuff'.
I just can't seem to relate to much of "today's music", even though My tastes are much broader now.

I remember when "Our" music was called "LOUD noise".........now, much of it is "classic rock"....even some is now "muzak"... (I"m not sure that's a good thing).

I can't help missing "My kind of music",.......it was....... EVERYWHERE!
That style of music was the " soundtrack" for many lives..........and to this day, some songs trigger instant "memories".

As a life-long, loyal music aficionado, I do feel a bit let down.............unlike those who left music behind,....it feels like music has left ME behind.

The other day I was talking to a delivery Guy, where I work......in the background, a radio was playing a classic rock song.....................

In an "off the cuff" remark,

He said:

"I guess We'll just have to listen to these same songs....the rest of Our lives".

after Our brief conversation,....it struck me...what a profound statement!
Unknowingly, He had given the summation to the subject I have been "reflecting" on.

In the meantime, I will keep a pertinacious watch for............ rock's return.

Last edited by LT61; 11/11/04 06:28 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Re: ROCK N' ROLL...........REST IN PEACE, OR PIECES?
#67816 11/11/04 06:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
who said "mid life crisis".....who??

BTW...I find little in the latest genre exciting.....

LOL

#67817 11/11/04 06:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The music industry has killed the musician. All they seem to care about now is putting a pretty person on a stage and giving them some dance moves. They don't need to know how to sing, play an instrument, or even read music. They'll have one...maybe two hits if they're lucky, and then they'll move on to the next person.

There are so few true musicians out there anymore. I resort to listening to talk radio in the car most of the time now.

#67818 11/11/04 08:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Although I agree with most of what you say , there are exceptions. Take for instance "Keb Mo'. He is an outstanding blues musician. I dont remember how I was "turned on' to his music, (I know it wasnt radio)but it made me think to try artists I had never heard of before.
Next time your in a big 'record store' try picking up an artist you have never heard of before, scan the bar code on one of the listening stations, and give it a good listen. Even though you'll come up with a bunch of 'duds', I think you will also come up with some really fine music.
As much as the music industry is to blame, I think big radio companys are more to blame (clear channel). Radio seems to play only what they see as main stream music. When "alternative rock" first started playing on the radio, it was just that, alternative, something different than main stream music. We as listeners liked what we heard so much that alternative became main stream.
Where radio misses the boat, is that they dont understand we want to hear something or someone new along with some of the older stuff.
At one point in the early 90s there was a radio station here in Dallas that played 'everything'. They played music that I hadnt heard in years and they played music that I had never heard, be it rock, hard rock, new country, old country , blues, jazz or even what has become known as alternative rock. That radio station turned me on to more music in a years time than I have been turned on to since. During that time I bought more music than I ever had before and since. I guess Clear Channel didnt like the competition (everyone I knew was listening to this station) so they came in and bought the station, and promptly changed the format.
I was thinking about this the other day while looking at the cds I play most. Out of about 50 cds, at least 20 of them were a direct result of 'that' radio station. Man do I wish it was still around. I HATE being limited to what radio wants us to hear!
Please radio play something your scared we wont like.
Sorry for the ramble guys, the subject just touches a nerve with me.
Just my 2 cents.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#67819 11/11/04 08:53 PM
local
local
Other artists that I've added to my collection in the past years that wear very well (including Keb Mo) like, Kelly Joe Phelps, James McMurtry, North Mississippi All-Stars, the Black Keys, John Hiatt, and Richard Johnston, and Robert Randolph. I've found that you may have to dig a little deeper to discover "new" acts. They are out there. It's been interesting to resurrect some of the older music (Clapton from his older days with Derek and the Dominoes, the Yardbirds, Todd Rundgren, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes to name a few) and rediscover the sounds that grabbed me years ago on the Axioms. All that's missing is the skipping needle on worn vinyl. I can't get into the new stuff either-find myself gravitating to Miles Davis and John Coltrane in the jazz spectrum and old blues like Lighnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters.

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#67820 11/11/04 09:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike
Sounds very much like my library of music.
How were you turned on to some of them??
GOTTA LOVE LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS!

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#67821 11/11/04 09:21 PM
local
local
Brady
We've got one of the best small public radio stations in the country here in the Twin Cities. Check it out at KFAI.org. A few shows to highlight (and streaming archives to check out) Jackson's Juke Joint, Rock House, Sugar Shop, Urban Folk, and Louisiana Rhythms. I've added greatly to my blues and jazz by checking for artists that I hear on KFAI on emusic.com. I also subscrbe to Guitar Player and Acoustic Guitar magazine which often highlite more of the obscure artists.

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#67822 11/11/04 09:25 PM
veteran
veteran
It's not that rock isn't as good as what it used to be, its just that everyone remembers most fondly the music they grew up with. That's the music that's tied to your memories of growing up, being carefree, getting into trouble, various firsts, etc...
Music tends to be cyclical too. Rock started out as a rebellious force in the 50's (therabouts), but by the 70's, many bands had turned it into a bloated, contrived, self indulgent shell of its former self. Of course, there were plenty of genius rock bands at that time too. Ditto the 80's, 90's...
There has always been pop singers with little or no talent, who get pushed by the industry simply to move units. Its true there are probably more of that now, a reflection of the youth (and their parents) having far more expendable income and buying power than before. Had you told someone in the 50's that soon enough the age group of 10 to 15 year old girls would be THE driving force in the economy, they probably would have laughed in your face...
Point being, there will always be not so great bands that are popular, and there will always be great bands that take some effort to discover. And every once in a while, a great band becomes popular and everyone can enjoy them. Don't lose faith in the music. Go discover some new bands. Check out local acts, etc... Its worth it.

#67823 11/11/04 09:34 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Nice response..........your reply says much of which I didn't take time to...I don't know about "bloated" 70's bands...or that rock is "as good" as it used to be..but the rest is "dead on".

Actually, some may be bloated by now.

Last edited by LT61; 11/11/04 09:40 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#67824 11/12/04 01:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I guess my response was pointed more at "pop" music than rock particularly. Bleck...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters