B
where's my flint?....

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: OT: Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy off topic...
#68205 11/15/04 10:23 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Ok, fine. The tinder has been layed. Just keep John's steel away from your flint, if you've got any.

#68206 11/15/04 10:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Here is an article from Wired about this topic.

Don't mind my hands waving, that's just me fanning the flames.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#68207 11/15/04 11:45 PM
devotee
devotee
Let's think about this for a min. In most of these type of issues it's some house wife that has her panties in a wad. Sorry labies. I can just see some 250# "Southern Bell" standing up for her childrens rights to think that a really big dog baried a really big bone in New Mexico and those crazy "scientists" came up with a crazed theory called evolution.

Jesus's horsed, classic.

#68208 11/16/04 03:49 AM
devotee
devotee
OK....I'll tee one up for you guys. I presently am a resident of Cobb County Georgia. Give it to me!

#68209 11/16/04 03:57 AM
devotee
devotee
Nope...can't give you guys that one long enough to abuse me. I'm a transplanted New Hampshire boy that experiences a ten or so degree changed in temp when I walk through the church doors.

Truthfully, I continually rant about this kind of crap. Coming from the North, this kind of garbage is what feeds the neverending stereotypes....that and the toothless wonders that they purposely find to interview for their stories. The rest of the US is always going to think that the South lives in the dark ages as long as they continue to vote good old boy rednecks into office that allow this type of stuff to take place.

Oh...the things we do to pay lower taxes (Cobb is lower than neighboring counties). It's the part of the South that I loath, but have to accept as a part of the South. The positive side is that it is not the norm....It's just the crap that gets on the news.

Peter - I love your idea for Bible stickers!

#68210 11/16/04 04:43 AM
dmn23 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
It was NOT my intention to turn this into some overblown, inflammatory thread that goes on for 200 pages. I just thought Jimmy Fallon's joke was funny.

I finally settled in Nashville after ten years in Alabama. And I really do love the South. I've been all over the world, and the fact is that Nashville is a terrific town. It's big enough to be cosmopolitan, but small enough that I don't feel the overwhelming need to take a hostage every day on the drive to work. I don't know how you can deal with living in Atlanta.

Stereotypes are stereotypes because there's a certain element of truth to them. But the Northerners I know usually make me laugh, too. I can find plenty of examples of locals and dislocated folks from other parts of the country who are equally incoherent, unintelligible, bigoted oxygen thieves. But it's the fanaticism that I find the most frightening, and my guess is that it's probably centered here in the South and in the Midwest. The Southern Nazi...I mean Baptist...the Southern Baptist Convention is based here in Nashville, and some of these people are just insane. Faith can be a remarkable thing, but reason often gets short shrift and that's probably what most concerns me. And that applies to ANY religion or belief system.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#68211 11/16/04 05:24 AM
devotee
devotee
I don't think that there is any flaming going on here so no worries. Once anyone sees the "OT" in the heading thread they should know that almost anything can be discussed (within reason). That is why I love this forum, there is a ton of tech stuff but it also is a community where I feel I can talk about anything with you guys....well almost anything....there was that time that Streem Speakers was brought up....what fond memories....Classic line of that thread, "When taking a piss, think Streem."

#68212 11/16/04 06:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mike
You say you didnt mean this to be an inflammmatory thread, yet you in not so many words turn around and compare Sothern Baptists to Nazis and insane people. I find this very inflamatoty, and written out of ignorance; unless you know every Southern Baptist personally. By making your remarks I'm sure you have offended some very fine members of this message board.
Is this your intention?
If not, please be more careful of how you word your beliefs. Some may find them incoherent, unintelligible and bigoted.

Last edited by bray; 11/16/04 06:44 AM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#68213 11/16/04 02:00 PM
dmn23 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
You're absolutely right, Bray, and I apologize. I obviously don't know every Baptist personally, so it is unfair and prejudiced to make that kind of sweeping generalization. Your criticisms are dead on, and I was out of line.

In my defense (if there's one to be made), I said "some of these people". My joke about the SBC has much more to do with how they present themselves as an organization, and nothing at all to do with some of the wonderful people I know personally, or any of the thousands of other Baptists who are well-adjusted, decent, spiritual people in this country.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020