Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KXPROJECTS driver for COMP music playback Q!
#68369 11/17/04 03:29 PM
rotipom Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Noticed DJ's recommendation on one of the threads.

I recently d/l kxprojects to use with my Audigy 2 on my comp for music playback. I find that it is quite discerningly better than my previous creative driver (i hope its not a placebo effect or my imagination!)

From the driver site it recommends that we swap front for rear as that would allow for better quality music playback without as much noise/distortion.

I m still learning the ropes, so tell me, if I have my soundcard connected to my av receiver via the digital out jet on my card instead of the front/rear does it mean that I won't be able to use the swap front/rear feature. Or is digital better anyway that it won't be necessary?

Also, an additional q, I find that if I remove all the preset DACs on that kx DAC window like was also suggested, I'd have to turn up the volume way up on my receiver to get the volume that I want (as opposed to when its set to the default DAC settings/positions)

Any thoughts?

thanks much!

-AT

p/s: can someone help me figure out how to point to that thread that I have in question?

Re: KXPROJECTS driver for COMP music playback Q!
#68370 11/17/04 05:09 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Copy paste from what I wrote in the PM in case you didn't get it - heh:
In reply to:

Your assumption is correct; if you connect to your receiver using the digital outs, you are bypassing the output DACs in the Audigy. Thus, it doesn't make any difference if you do swap front/rear. In other words, that option is only useful for people who do not use PCM (Pulse Code Modulation -- Stereo SPDI/F out).

I don't fully understand your question for the last part. I stated that all of the DSP circuitry should be bypassed (which can be accomplished by right clicking all but the left most and the right most parts and selecting bypass. Currently I am using creative drivers (for EAX HD Support) so I cannot check, but in the DSP Map, I used to disable everything and still get the same level output. I may re-install those drivers one of these days, however, to be of more assistance.

Also to point to the thread that you are referring to, make sure "View Threaded" is enabled (by clicking the upper left icon that says threaded and find the post. Once you have the url, do [url=POSTURL]name of link[/url] in that exact syntax.

By the way... I am glad that the drivers I suggested had a noticable sound quality improvement.

#68371 11/17/04 05:17 PM
rotipom Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks DJ!

Yea the first answer makes sense now!

And for the second, my bad. It was an embarassing case of terminology mixup. I meant DSP. not DAC!! *blush*

So yea, I did at first disable all the DSPs on the window but that didnt change anything so I removed them. And removing some of them brought the volume down significantly. Does removing mean bypassing?

cheers,
AT

#68372 11/17/04 05:26 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well what I think happened is that you may have deleted the connection between the input and the output (or perhaps something relating to the "crossbar") while deleting the DSP components... If you disable on the DSP's that is essentially the same as removing the unneeded ones. I suggest just staying there, as you are accomplishing the goal of bypassing extraneous processing. The sound quality difference, if any, between disabling the DSPs and having them enabled should be quite small unless reverb or chorus were not at 0. The difference between disabling and removing the DSPs is theoretically 0.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 418 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup