Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Recommended Placement/Height of QS8's...
#68803 11/21/04 06:12 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am trying to figure out where to put my left & right side QS8's. What height is recommended? I have 8 foot ceiling, and the speaker wire was placed at about 6.5 ft up. Does it really need to be at ear level?

Also, the speaker outlet is right in line with my 1st row of seating. However I am planning a second row. I see that because of the angled speakers of the QS8 design, that there will be no speaker dead on with the front row. However, there will be one speaker angled to the second row. The other angled speaker will be basically bouncing off of the front PJ display. Does this cause a problem, or will the sound not be good for the front row? Should I move the speaker so it is in between both rows?

I am concerned, because that will require moving the speaker outlet box, and I am not sure I have enough wire to move it the 3/4 feet I need, and still have enough wire to run to the speaker.

Hopefully I described it right...let me know if I confused the heck out of you!

Thanks.

Last edited by VegasVec; 11/21/04 06:13 PM.
Re: Recommended Placement/Height of QS8's...
#68804 11/21/04 06:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK. You confused the heck out of me.

First you don't necessarily want a driver pointed directly at the seating spot. The ideas is to diffuse the sound coming from the surrounds. That being said, it's not gonna hurt anything if a driver IS pointing toward the seating.

From the Axiom FAQ:

Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear center speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers.

If you have two rows of seating, it would be good to have the surrounds roughly between the two rows. Or, if that can't be achieved, slightly behind the second row. In last place would be slightly in front of the first row.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup