Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Time to say hello!
#68963 11/22/04 09:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Some of us may be better categorized as "Whipperfarts"...not young enough to be considered a "Whippersnapper" but not old enough to be an "Old Fart".

Then again, maybe "Old Snapper" would be a better term...

I turn 44 on Friday the 26th.

WhatFurrer ("Old Fart" in training...)

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#68964 11/22/04 09:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
WARNING! With all due apologies. [philosophical rant]

Octavian, if you haven't already figured it out, you will soon learn that there is a lot of kidding, in good fun, that goes on around here. Sometimes it's not easy to tell if a comment is serious, or tongue in cheek. It's very difficult to discern meaning in the written word alone, without the benefit of voice inflection and facial expressions. That's why there are so many of these: , etc. They help compensate for the lack of those indicators that are missing in just the written word.

Should you run across a comment that is confusing in it's intent, I humbly suggest that, if possible, you assume the best rather than being offended or angered.

As far as "age" goes, I don't mind in the least being kidded about mine, whether by an old goat like Ray (that wink means I don't REALLY thing Ray is an old goat), or by the youngsters here on the board. I try very hard not to be concerned about things over which I have no control, age being one of them.

The funny thing about being my age, is that younger people don't understand (I know I didn't understand this of older people when I was young) that, inside, I'm a 19 year old kid, that hasn't figured out how, in heaven's name, he got trapped in this soon-to-be 59 year old body. And should any young person comment on my age with malice, I simply remind them they are going to blink twice, and find themselves as old as I. It's not wise to mock your own future.

I'm also comforted by the knowledge that there is a cycle to every living thing. You're born, you live, you die. This is true for all living things. Anything so universal can't be a bad thing; can't be wrong. So advancing age, and even death itself, doesn't invoke fear or regret for my part.

This "life" thing, i.e. living, is pretty neat. And coming together here, with others, young or old, that share my passion for good music, and good movies, and good equipment to reproduce them both, just adds to the joy of living. A Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I am, indeed, a rich man.

[/Philosophical rant]

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#68965 11/22/04 09:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I definitely did not mean to give the impression that I was slighting anyone's age...just a play on words.

I would be counted lucky to be included in the "collection of age" (Ray3, Ajax, pizoni, etc) contained on this board.

"From the feet of our elders, do we learn our place in life..."

I tip my hat to the lot of you.

Respectfully,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#68966 11/22/04 10:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jack
Said well. with the wisdom that only comes from being an OLD FART.
Actually my girlfriend called me an old fart yesterday when I told her I bought a metal detector. She said "Thats an old fart toy".

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#68967 11/22/04 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
By the way............................

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WhatFurrer!
you whipperfart.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#68968 11/22/04 10:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Actually my girlfriend called me an old fart yesterday when I told her I bought a metal detector. She said "Thats an old fart toy".

I think I was born an old fart, and my body is just now starting to catch up. I owned a metal detector when I was 13 years old. Loved it. I've often looked at youngsters (regardless of their actual age) and thought "grow up". You know those PSA commercials on TV for the arts. The one where the boy takes the stick from the dog and puts it in the trash. There's a little bit of me in that kid.

I know what you mean though about being a 19 year old in a 59 year old body. I'm "only" 31, but I swear nothing seems much different then when I was 20 or so. (Well, my feet hurt like a bi&*h when I wake up, and my hair is falling out...but other than that...)

OK...I'm rambling now. See? I told you I was an old fart.

#68969 11/22/04 10:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
oh yeah. My vote goes for "Whipperfart". Much better than "Old Snapper"

#68970 11/22/04 10:25 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I bought a metal detector

those are cool. really. there is excitement in the mystery of whats in the ground.

2 years ago, one of my buddies was working on a ranch about 15 miles south of town. on the ranch, there used to be a very small community, they think less than 40 people. anyway, there is a small cemetery, and you can make out the foundation of an old building. it was probably the church/school/town hall/etc. my buddy and i rented a detector for a day, and found ALL kinds of stuff. coins, buttons, hair pins, buckles, barrel rings, bullets and bullet casings, and all sorts of forged metal pieces ranging from a few inches long, to one that was almost a foot long.. we think they were pieces of wagons or buggys? in the cemetery we found metal picture frames, and this fancy brass cap that we think was decoration on the top of a cane or umbrella. our best find of the day was an old pistol. it was a small caliber revolver, but the revolver cylinder was missing. but the barrel, cylinder frame, and handle were intact. it was cool as heck.

i never thought i would find it sooo cool. but, we had a great place to find stuff. the detector was going off left and right. it might be a little more boring if it took forever to find something. but, i would highly recommend to do this. i found it to be extremely stimulating.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#68971 11/22/04 10:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bigjohn
Get one! We'll meet halfway and dig some stuff.
Mine should be here next week. There are some great deals on e-bay.
And they have message boards like this. Well.............
Not quite like this, they seem a little more dry than us. Could it be that theyre old farts?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#68972 11/22/04 10:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bye all means, HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE! You and TomTuttle are definitely honorary old goats. Sorta old goats in training.

In reply to:

definitely did not mean to give the impression that I was slighting anyone's age...just a play on words

Steve, NOTHING I had to say was in reference to ANYTHING you, or for that matter, anyone on this forum, has said. I know you well enough to know that the term "old fart" contained no malice. I apparently did a bad job of making my point in that rant. Some seem very concerned that it was caused by my being offended by comments here on the forum. In NO WAY has anyone here offended me by kidding me about my age, or, for that matter, ribbing me about anything else. And again, I AM an old fart. Blame my parents. They fooled around early in 1945 and here I am. I had NOTHING to do with it!

Folks,

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup