Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Game systems in HT?
#69459 11/25/04 07:18 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Since there's been some discussion regarding video games, let me ask a question that I've been curious about for a long time:

As a 40 year old who hasn't played a video game since Asteroids, Defender and Pac Man, what advice would those of you who are gamers give a "beginner" like me for getting into a setup? On my computer, I've enjoyed some combat flight games, golf games and yes, on occasion, the Sims. But when looking into a "TV" based system, I have questions such as:

Is there a "preferred" system? I know there was much X-Box talk when it came out- is it the best?

What are some good, engaging games for someone who hasn't been playing for the last ten years?

And, in terms of equipment (and to keep it "audio" related for this forum), are they all 5.1?

How do they hook up to your receiver? Optical/coaxial connections?

Are there some that play at 480P or higher resolution? What type of connectors do those use for connection to a digital TV?

I know that there are TONS of info on the net, but most seemed to be geared towards Serious Gamers… not "would-be" gamers!

Now that I have an HT setup that I'm happy with, it seems like a relatively low-cost way to add another dimension to its capabilities and entertainment factor!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Game systems in HT?
#69460 11/25/04 08:33 PM
old hand
old hand
I will give this a try, although I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I have an XBOX and as such am a little bias. To my knowledge it is the only one of the three (XBOX, PS2, Gamecube) which does 5.1. (Not 100% on that one) It also has the "Capability" to play games in 720P and 1080i. I say capability because I don't think the library of those types of games is that extensive. Some sports games are I believe and I hear they are impressive. Even Halo2 which just came out is 480P. (There are numerous threads on AVS about the 480P/Widescreen problem with HALO2).
To get 5.1 you need to get either the Component or S-Video(I think S-Video has an optical slot) AV pack and an Optical Cable. You automatically get the composite AV with the XBOX.

#69461 11/26/04 12:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Xbox doesnt have GTA San Andreas

#69462 11/26/04 03:23 AM
M
local
local
M
Hi Mark, I like yourself am not a hard core gamer. I have friends and family that have all three systems and I think the real choice is between PS2 and XBOX. Its seems that between these the choice is really in the games that are available for each system and which ones interest you the most. I believe ( don't quote me here ) the XBOX is technically better than the PS2 but again I think the biggest factor for most people is in the games offered. My friend does run his XBOX through 5.1 so I can say the XBOX is 5.1 friendly and I "think" it has a coax out,but I can't say about the PS2.

One thing to note is I believe both Sony and Microsoft are launching new systems sometime soon so you may want to factor that in. ( I have no idea when, perhaps a real gamer can chime in here )

One thing I'll mention in case you haven't considered it is using your existing computer or even a dedicated computer. There are alot of advantages to this, upgradability, power, and alot of extra capabilities like playing MP3 (using the PC as a music server) and high definitions formats like windows new HD technology. Even using it as a mega movie library system...

Anyways that's the best I can offer from my limited experience.

One thing is for certain it is very cool playing games in full surround on a HT system with the sub turned EXTRA high!

Good Luck with it, Jag

PS: A very HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my American Axiomite friends

#69463 11/26/04 03:46 AM
veteran
veteran
The PS2 does 5.1 but it only has an optical connection. I have heard of reliability problems with the XBOX -- everyone I know with one has had it break to the point of having to get a new one. That said, it does look better than the ps2 but then again, my computer looks better than an XBOX and that is all an XBOX is -- a computer running a windows based OS. Personally, I would get a better computer and hook it up to your system before getting an XBOX, but I have a ps2 so I am biased. PS2 is better if you like RPGs (i.e. final fantasy) Also Gran Turismo (possibly the best game ever made) is PS2 only. I can't say what kinds of games xbox is good for, but IMHO they are both great systems and it is really just a matter of looking at what games you will play and going from there. BTW I have also heard of PS2s breaking down, but mostly only the older ones. Actually, if I were you I would wait untill the PS3/XBOX2 come out (next year, apparently) and then get a system.

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#69464 11/26/04 05:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What??! No Gamecubers? Come out of the woodwork. I agree w/ the sentiment that the type of games really makes the decision. For me, I like the fun, quirky, unique games like the mario franchise, Zelda, Resident Evil, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, etc. I have a Gameboy Advance that also connects to it. I use component video to my plasma and the picture is great, there are a number of 480p widescreen games that look awesome. The only complaint I'd have is that audio is only 2 channel Dolby, no digital.

The other platforms are good and so are the games. Halo 2... It also helps to have friends w/ whom you can swap games.

#69465 11/26/04 07:36 AM
veteran
veteran
I have a ps2 and I love its games. The graphics may not be as good as Xbox, (ie, GTA3 has more detailed textures on the xbox version) but it has a lot of games to choose from.

Gamecube? no mod for it, can't d/l games, no no for me.

#69466 11/27/04 02:16 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
I dont have too much to input here except that my cousin and myself both have had an Xbox for a few years now, and have never had a problem at all.

#69467 11/28/04 04:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mark
I have a cube, but I play on all three systems (ps2, xbox, and cube) often. THEY ARE ALL GOOD PLATFORMS, let the games that look most appealing to you dictate which platform you get.
Some game cube games are in 5.1 (Star Wars Roque Sqaudren, Need for speed, and a few others)

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#69468 11/28/04 04:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Are you sure the Gamecube can do DD5.1? I know it does Dolby Surround, but DD5.1 requires digital output, and there is no accessory available to do that.

#69469 11/28/04 02:32 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

let the games that look most appealing to you dictate which platform you get.

Hmmmm, the problem is, I'm not even sure what the best games would be! And, unfortunately, the opinions of a hard-core 20 year old that's been playing for ten years might not jive with mine! That's why I'm asking here; many of you are old.

(Running and ducking for cover!!!)

Can anyone recommend a website that would be helpful to a beginner like me? Maybe some info as to what the most popular games are of different genre...i.e., "Of flight warfare games, F-14 Tomcat is considered one of the best and is available for XBox only. "Strike Eagle" is also popular and is only available for the GameCube system". Any sites that are along those veins?

Your 41-year-old Axiom Comrade-

#69470 11/28/04 02:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Since we are on this topic...anyone know of a good emulator for the PC that emulates the PS2? I want to play Gran Turismo (the third and upcoming 4th one mostly), but don't really want to go out and buy a playstation just for that game. The PS2 still seems to be about $150, plus the game puts me at $200, which is quite a bit for what will effectively be one game. (can they please just come out with this on PC )

#69471 11/28/04 05:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Can anyone recommend a website that would be helpful to a beginner like me? Maybe some info as to what the most popular games are of different genre...i.e., "Of flight warfare games, F-14 Tomcat is considered one of the best and is available for XBox only. "Strike Eagle" is also popular and is only available for the GameCube system".

This is the last remaining reasons big box stores exist IMO. Walk into one (the ToysRUs electronics section isn't bad) and browse -- you'll get a feel pretty quickly.

It's not so much "best games" that dictate console choice, more "preferred game genres". There is a lot of overlap ie you can get some games in every genre on every console, it's just a question of where you want to focus. Here are a few examples :

- if you have young kids there are relatively more suitable AND cool games on Gamecube

- if you are into sports games PS2 seems to have the best selection

- XBox tends to focus more on action games and generally has the best image quality & sound

- PS2 has the largest installed base and probably still hase the greatest number of games overall

Here's the "for dummies" rule -- if kids will be using this a lot get a gamecube or PS2. If it's primarily for you get a PS2 or XBox. If you're one of those nuts who has to have the best sound you can afford get the XBox

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#69472 11/28/04 06:07 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

Here are a few examples :

This is EXACTLY the basic info I need to help me get started.

Thank You!

#69473 12/01/04 05:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark,
late note to add here and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can use old Playstation games (Playstation 1) on the new console. While the games are obviously not up to par with PS2 releases, it does open up a wealth of other games that you should be able to buy for a song (used or new).

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup