Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
My quandry: Marantz, HK or Yamaha for ~$1K
#69515 11/26/04 02:44 AM
OP Offline
Current system:
HK AVR55
2x Axiom m80ti
2x Axiom QS8
1x Infinity Center (Prolly replaced with Axiom 1 day soon)

I have ruled out Denon (3805) at this point due to their long time reputation for "embellishing?" their actual power outputs and my need to drive my Axioms HARD without clipping.

The AVR has served me very well since 2000. It is built like a brick and drives the Axioms with ease. It lacks some features that I am willing to pay for in a new unit. These include : Component video switching, DTS Decoding, 192KHz DACs, and SACD/DVD-Audio inputs (digital preferred, but likely out of my price range of ~$1K).

Now to the contenders: The HK 630, the Marantz SR-7500 and the Yammy RX-V1500. The Yammy is probably not even a real choice due to my understanding that it is not a good match for the Axioms due to the brightness of both the speakers and the receiver. That, and the new Yammys look and feel "cheap". I mean, a plastic main knob for $800?

As I mentioned, I have a soft spot for the HK as my previous one has served me so well for so long. I know from experience that the HK will probably drive my Axioms without strain, but I have noted that the build quality on the current 630 does not match that of my older AVR55. Like the Yammy, the 630 seems to have a cheap "plastiky" main knob. As with the yamaha, it lacks THX certification (not that it makes a big difference). HK offer a 2 year warranty.

The Marantz: I have no experience with this brand, but I gather that it is very highly regarded. The unit is solid, and the front knob is milled AL. THX Select, Dolby PLIIx, Burr-Brown DACs, and a very good remote. Marantz is only sold by some "high end" stores here in Dallas, as opposed to the HK and Yammys which can be picked up at CC or the like. I have read the older 7400 series runs HOT. 3 year warranty.

Now the hard part: I want a unit that is excellent at BOTH music and HT. Can anyone lend some insight into some PROs/CONs into these units and thier matching with my Axioms?

Re: My quandry: Marantz, HK or Yamaha for ~$1K
#69516 11/26/04 05:27 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Supe, welcome. It appears that you may be unnecessarily concerned over matters that have no factual basis, but instead are audio myths that you may have heard or read elsewhere. First, the power ratings of the Denons(and all other receivers sold in the U.S. subject to FTC regulation)are accurate; if they weren't they'd be in violation of the law. Lab tests consistently show that they meet and in fact exceed their ratings. My view is that the Denons should be back on your list.

Next, neither the Axioms nor the Yamahas(or any other competently designed receivers)are "bright". The Yamaha, incidentally, does have THX certification and should be well-suited powerwise for your needs.

Finding a receiver excellent for both music and HT should by no means be the "hard part". Sound is sound, regardless of whether it's Yo-Yo Ma on the cello or Schwartzennegger on the machinegun.

It's not surprising that your 55 is fine as to power, but that you'd like a unit with up-to-date features. If by digital SACD/DVD-A you mean a receiver that has i.Link or similar connection ability, consider the Pioneer 56TXi, available for right around $1,000. For well under $1,000, the Denon 2805, Yamaha 1500 or 2500 and the new HK 435 and 635(which might not be available for two more months, reportedly)are among the units which should meet your needs well. Of course, the appearance and feel of the controls are a matter of personal preference.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#69517 11/26/04 06:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Next, neither the Axioms nor the Yamahas(or any other competently designed receivers)are "bright". The Yamaha, incidentally, does have THX certification and should be well-suited powerwise for your needs.

........And there you have it. All receivers sound the same and no manufacture bumps up there wattage rating..........and if you believe that, I have some land for sale down in Mexico that I will give you a great deal on.

I'm not trying to get you going here JohnK but have you actually heard half the receivers you seem to know so much about? There is no way in this world that you can tell me that an HK and a Yamaha sound the same. They don't, plain and simple. You can graph and chart me till the cows come home and I still won't buy it. They don't and no I'm not in audio never never land. I'm not hoping that the HK will sound better, I'm not tricking my mind in to thinking the Yamaha's are bright etc etc.

I can go on in particular about THX certification and the joke it has become but I just can't be bothered debating this crap anymore. You go on thinking that everything sounds the same and if it's stamped THX, your good to go.

#69518 11/26/04 03:25 PM
veteran
veteran
I'll second that.

#69519 11/26/04 06:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
expatbrit, nice bike! I love those CBR1000RR. I had a CBR900 that I sold off last year. I want another one but the dam wife keeps shutting me down!

#69520 11/26/04 09:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I apologize to JohnK but I agree with Neverhappy. I have had Denons, HK, and a buddy of mine has a Yamaha. They do not sound similar in any way. The HK's are more powerful and IMHO light years ahead of the Yamaha and Denons powerwise. Denon does have a great processor but compared to the HK no real world power comparison.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
#69521 11/26/04 09:32 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I've been teeter-tottering on this issue for quite some time. Everything John has said regarding the sound of amps makes perfect sense to me. After all, isn't an amp an amp. But, recently, I decided to give that Pioneer 1014 everyone seems to be talking about a try. I did the microphone thing and was all set to be excited. I know many like it, but this thing left my m22s sounding neutered, dull and lifeless. I hooked up my old Yamaha, and the detail and clarity of the 22s had returned. I would take a Yamaha any day over a Pioneer. I can't tell anyone how Yamaha compares with HK, Denon or Marantz. I do have a suspicion that my Yamaha wouldn't be outclassed.

#69522 11/26/04 09:56 PM
M
local
local
M
Hey littleb,
RE: the Pioneer 1014.

Was that "microphone thing" an auto equilization setup feature. If so it's no surprise the Pioneer would sound different... I've heard mixed reviews on this auto equalization found on recievers. Some love it, others hate it. Alan strongly recommends against it as it totally changes a speakers character and can more often than not totally negate the efforts of the speaker desinger in creating a neutral sounding speaker. Anyways, if the Pioneer was "equalizing" then there's no surpirse that it would sound different.

Cheers, jag

#69523 11/26/04 10:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I did the microphone thing

Stay clear of the microphone thing. For one, it's not very accurate on the Pioneer, and two, it causes far more bad then good.

#69524 11/26/04 10:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Everything John has said regarding the sound of amps makes perfect sense to me.

It makes sense to me too but one must factor in the differences in output stages, dac's and a dozen other factors before we can come to the conclusion that everything sounds the same.

Look I'm not trying to start anything with JohnK. His posts are some of the most informative of anybody here, but to make a blanket statement that solid state this and that all sound the same is in my mind, wrong. I have heard the difference and I know it's there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters