Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Spiderman 2 Superbit
#69983 12/01/04 06:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Haven't seen it. I did see the HD trailer on HDNet. Probably one of the best movie trailers I've seen. The audio was FANTASTIC, especially when Doc Oc was creeping around. Makes those QS8's come alive.

#69984 12/01/04 06:46 PM
K
veteran
veteran
K
We're getting the Spidy 2 DVD this year as part of our corporate holiday gifts from Sony. I didn't realize they were doing this flick in Superbit. Which now means I'll have to sell the free one to go buy the Superbit version instead.

I can't imagine what's going to happen next year when the Blu-Ray discs come out... there goes my whole DVD collection...

#69985 12/01/04 06:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Blu-Ray discs come out

OK, that sparked my curiousity?

what is blu-ray?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#69986 12/01/04 07:05 PM
snippy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Superbit movies are DVDs by Sony that have no special features so that they maximize the bit rate of the picture and sound. When there is less compression on the DVD, the picture is able to show more detail. All superbits also come with DTS sound, which is always a welcome upgrade in my book. I prefer to own the best version available, quality wise, so I try to buy the superbit and rent the special features from Netflix, since I only watch those once.

I bought the superbit version at Best Buy for $14.39. They also had the first movie in superbit for $11.99. I also picked up two more superbits because they had a buy one get one free deal. I got 4 superbit DVDs for $45. It was a damn good deal.

I have been back from England since mid-September. It was an amazing trip and my boss was incredible. She was also very inspirational to me about doing structural engineering projects that are really interesting (she did the structural engineering on the London Eye).

I have moved into a new house where I have been able to play my Axioms as loud as I want. My ex-girlfriend (who I lived with in my old apartment) also left town to move to New York City, which is very hard for me, but I get to play my music and movies without her yelling at me to turn it down. Hopefully, when I graduate in June (6 years baby!), I will be able to meet her there in New York.

Axiom needs to make some flat panel speakers for me by then so I can hang them next to a plasma when I move into an excruciatingly small apartment in New York City.

#69987 12/01/04 07:31 PM
shareholder in the making
Blu-ray is a new protocol for 5 1/4 inch optical disks. It uses a blue laser, which allows it to store a hell of a lot more data. There is a competing standard (of course!!!) which still uses a red laser (I think) and is called HD-DVD. Basically, both will allow an HD program on a 5 1/4 inch disk.

Me, I'm waiting for it to all shake out, just like SACD/DVD-A. It's really irritating...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#69988 12/01/04 07:31 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
sell the girlfriend, forget the apartment, and get bigger speakers.

ken- thanks, i had never heard of that.. guess i will have to do some research on it at home tonight.

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 12/01/04 07:32 PM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#69989 12/01/04 08:00 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Thanks snip. Sorry to here about the ex.

Ya know as I reflect, we have had Betamax vs. VHS, SACD vs. DVD-A and now Blu-ray vs HD-DVD. All competing formats and all fostering aggravating, expensive, frustrating and unnecessary consumer abuse, confusion and expense. Not to mention the additional issue of companies spending lots of time and R&D money (eventually translating into more consumer expense) trying to get the competing stuff to work together in individual components. I give you SACD vs. DVD-A and the resulting universal players. These events are usually driven by Sony stepping back and saying - "Good idea, but I think I'll do my own format instead and make it proprietary".

I'm all for competition and technology improvements resulting from that competition, but it seems to be an expensive and frustrating way to go about it.

I'd really like to see a "Department of Common Sense For Agreement on Standardizing Formats To Avoid Hosing Consumers" in charge of this kind of thing. Then these companies could all be more cost effective and sopend their time making things that are dependable, feature rich and more affordable.

#69990 12/02/04 04:17 AM
Don't forget what is probably the most confusing thing in consumer electronics today: DVD-R vs. DVD+R. What the hell's the difference? Nothing as far as I can tell except a different format. It's really annoying to have to keep telling customers, "Yeah, you have to make sure you get the DVD dash R not the DVD plus R," and then having them look at me like I'm totally insane.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#69991 12/02/04 01:33 PM
veteran
veteran
I read an article recently, both blu-ray and HD-dvd uses blue lazer. The difference is blue-way writes a thinner layer and would have a higher capacity disc. HD-DVD is backed by more than 15 hollywood producer and blu-ray is only backed by fox(fox is also supporting HD-DVD,too) and sony pictures. This is the same case hardware wise, almost all companies are supporting HD-DVD while Sony and one or two companies are pushing blu-ray.

This is very much like vhs vs beta war with the differences that Sony got Sony Pictures and PS3 to back up the technology

#69992 12/02/04 05:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't know if you guys read this. Thought you might find it interesting. Here's another take on the same story.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,087 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup