Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Spiderman 2 Superbit
#69993 12/03/04 04:58 PM
old hand
old hand
Watched the Spidy 2 Superbit last night. The DTS mix has got to be one of the best mixes I've heard. The bass is killer an it's not boomy. The bass is also really tight and well controlled, and there's a lot of scenes where it needs to be controlled. The other thing that really makes the DTS mix stand out is how full and large the soundstage is. Most movies sound better in my home theater than they do in a real theater, but what most DVDs lack is that soundstage that makes you feel like your in a much larger room. This DTS mix gives the feeling of being in a much larger room. My HT is 13x24, but if sure felt like I was is a much larger space, the soundstage is very full and seems to go well beyond where my walls end and if you want surround and channel seperation then it's there too.

I wan't as impressed with the pic quality though. I use a Sanyo Z2 projector with a 104" screen and a Momitsu upconverting DVD player and the pic quality is good, but there is some noise and a little EE. It's a good transfer, but not as good as other Superbit titles like Bad Boys II.

#69994 12/04/04 03:10 AM
D
buff
buff
D
Bigjohn,

There were two good articles in the USA TODAY this week; I believe the Tuesday and Wednesday editions. Both are on the second page of the Money section, (if I remember correctly.) This is what I can remember from both articles. Don’t quote me on any of this; I have slept since I read them. Here is the link –

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2004-12-01-dvd-qanda_x.htm

Short version (typed this before I looked for the link)

Both increase video and audio compression on the disk X 5. A disc would be able to hold 15 Gig of data on a single layer and there will be dual layer disc available. The players will be able to read both the new DVD and current DVD formats, players will cost between $995 and $2000.

HD-DVD (made by Toshiba) is mainly supported by the movie industry (NBC Universal, Warner Bros. Pictures, Paramount etc.)

Blue-Ray (made by Sony) is supported by the computer industry (Dell, Hewlett-Packard and of course Sony pictures). (None of the computer manufactures have supported HD-DVD to date.)

What all this means for the consumer in the near future? Basically, NADA, don’t expect to see the new players for another 12 months. Both parties are just creating a bunch of hype since there is some type of convention in January in which they will display these two formats.

Del

#69995 12/04/04 03:53 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Incorrect! Microsoft has supported HD-DVD.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#69996 12/04/04 08:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just to add to kcarlile:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/HDVideo.aspx

I have watched HD-DVD Terminator 2 - EE and Step into liquid in HD on my HTPC setup and it is awesome. Lots more information in the screen....such as in the explosion on T2 the fire has many fork flame details while in the regular version you see more of a whole orange blob.

#69997 12/05/04 11:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I watched the lowly non-SuperBit DD version of Spider-Man 2 last night.....it was fun!

#69998 02/28/05 09:30 PM
devotee
devotee
Regular updates about the rising battle between HD-DVD and Blu-ray can be found at

http://www.thedigitalbits.com

HD-DVD has announced that they will have 60-70 titles out by the end of the year. Some impressive ones Matrix trilogy, Harry Potter, etc. Blu-ray is expected to release their initial catalog by early 2006. Both use blue laser technology and will be backwards compatible with DVD (thank goodness). A single layer of HD DVD can hold roughly 15GB of info (compared to 4.7GB for standard DVD), while Blu-ray can hold 25GB per layer. Blu ray has stated they have the technology to support 8(!) layered discs. Expect Blu ray to be more expensive than HD DVD because their lines must be changed dramatically for the switch. HD DVD should be cheaper but because of the smaller capacity will they look as good as Blu-ray? Fox is the only remaining major studio to not back either format. They have a pretty large catalog, so whichever they support might have the early advantage. As of now, the split from studios is about 50/50. Players that will play both formats will be available eventually, but probably not for awhile. Do expect a big battle with the consumers losing in the short run.

Sorry just some odds and ends off the top of my head.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters