Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anyone ever put a VP150 INSIDE a projection TV?`
#7029 11/27/02 06:52 PM
glinde Offline OP
OP Offline
Help please!

I'm the proud owner of a new pair of M22ti's and a VP150... at least until my wife came home and saw the new setup. She was pleased with the 22's, as they replaced the old Celestion floorstanders and now sit on the bookshelves of our new entertainment console. However, she refuses to allow the "monstrosity" of a center channel to sit upon our elegant shelf above the projection TV, obstructing all the pictures/art she has positioned there in our family room. Unfortunately, the VP150 is replacing a cheap-o Bose cube speaker, so less is more in her mind, no matter what documentation lambasting Bose cubes I try to show her. She insists that if I cannot hide the VP150 (her suggestion--on top of the 8-foot high console where it won't be seen), that I'll either have to go back to the Bose or get used to using the built in speakers in our Pioneer 52" HDTV set... which got me thinking.

Has anyone ever tried pulling out the speakers of a projection TV set in order to install a real speaker? I have no real reservation about pulling out a power saw and cutting a nice hole in the panel to fit the VP150, as it would be covered by the TV's speaker cover when finished. I'm just concerned about issues like working/installing the speaker in close proximity to the other electronics and figuring out a way to mount the speaker to the front panel. Am I crazy for considering such an option in my desperation?

Any advice or reference material you all might be able to offer would be much appreciated...

Re: Anyone ever put a VP150 INSIDE a projection TV?`
#7030 11/27/02 07:54 PM
veteran
veteran
When are these women going to learn that the top of the TV is for speakers NOT NIC NACS!

If you can fit it in there is no reason why it would not work. The speaker will not interfere with anything inside the tv. I have never come across anybody doing this or recall hearing about this being done. Good Luck, if you do go ahead and do this you will have to let us know how it turned out.

#7031 11/27/02 08:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Guess we know who wears the pants in that family... Grow a sack and remind her it's your home too.

That aside, I've actually thought about this myself. I suggest you pull off the grill and see how much free space is in there. Determine what can and can't be cut out to make room and have fun.

I would hope your wife will sooner have the speaker in its correct position than see you go after your new television with a jigsaw though.

#7032 11/27/02 08:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How about getting a small bench or even get 2 short stands and prop the center on top of those stands or bench and have it in front of TV around the area where the built-in speaker is. I have mine on the floor with a wedge tilting the center up pointing towards the sweet spot.

Re: Anyone ever put a VP150 INSIDE a projection TV
#7033 11/28/02 03:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Eeeech, tough wife.
My sympathies.
Our vp150 sits on top of the tv and the sound could not be any better. If it were placed in the bottom on the tv area, the sound would be affected by our coffee table that sits between us and the tv.

I would say you try moving some of those art and pictures to another place and say "hmm, i like this much better than that other silly suggestion".

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Anyone ever put a VP150 INSIDE a projection TV
#7034 12/25/02 05:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh man, i so forgot about this post until i came across it again.
DAMN Semi that's funny.
That is just funny.

So what the heck am i doing trolling the posts on Christmas eve?
Ah well beer will do that to ya...

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7035 12/27/02 12:35 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
I've wondered about this for some time myself.. I don't really need to see my speakers to appreciate them (Correction: At least not in my theater room).. And having to deal with the size of these RPTV's is nuts enough in and of itself..
I don't understand why someone has not started a line of replacement upgrade speakers for RPTV's ? Simple, retro-fit high quality speakers.. Or, an enclosed cabinet version like the VP150 or similar (smaller?), that would be custom built to fit a number of basic t/v's ??
Another little corner of a very big market, just waiting for someone to notice it, eh ?
As for me, I will be hanging my VP150, as I don't like it sitting on top of my Mit's, and I believe placing it on a shelf above would have it sitting too far back..

LFE ! The rest is just details..

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters