Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wall o Fame update
#7039 11/28/02 03:23 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
For those falling behind or new to the scene, the Axiom Wall o Fame had its most recent update.
My new tv.
It looks so damn good with those Axioms, grilles off.
wallofame

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Wall o Fame update
#7040 11/30/02 01:05 AM
devotee
devotee
Very nice...

#7041 12/01/02 05:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Chess,

Nice installation. Now, a qestion for you. Is that a rear-projection set using CRT tubes in the base of cabinet?

The reason I ask is that with the unshielded subwoofer located right next to the set, I was curious whether you had noticed any magnetic interference or color fringing when you adjust convergence. A separation of a couple of feet or 18 inches is usually enough to prevent interference from unshielded speakers with direct-view CRT sets, but I've never experimented with an unshielded subwoofer and a conventional rear-projection set, assuming the CRT tubes for red, green, and blue are in the base of the set shining up against a mirror, which is usually where they are located.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#7042 12/01/02 08:13 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hello Alan.
I certainly was cautious about the location of the sub after fitting the tv into its space.
I had the same concern as you mentioned but gave this particular location a try anyway. The distance from the sub magnet edge to the first CRT (housed within an aluminum metallic chamber within the base of the tv) is about 16 to 18 inches coincidentally. The tv is a Toshiba 50hdx82.
toshiba hdtv 50" hdx82
However, since first installing the tv, i have not noticed anything that would not be expected from the general quality of rptv compared to direct crt.
A bit of ghosting is not unusual and some colour fringing with green occurs slightly but ONLY during cable tv use, not during dvd use, which points more to the local cable signal as being the source of that problem.
Worst case scenario, i swap the M60 and the sub locations but that would shorten my soundstage again with the M60s and i've really just started to enjoy the wider soundstage with the increased distance b/w the M60s.

I can move the sub out of its spot and recheck the tv image but i do believe it is fine.

#7043 12/02/02 04:10 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Chess, since the placement question has come up, let me say that, looking at your setup, you certainly wouldn't want less separation between the M60s; if anything the left M60 might be moved a bit wider. On the sub, since right in the corner is nearly always the best location for both strength and smoothness of bass(since it's about equidistant from floor and both walls), it might be worthwhile to try the corner behind the right M60. If the bass is louder or even "boomy" there, the sub level should simply be reduced.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#7044 12/02/02 07:56 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
First, congrats to Chess on the new Tele.. Looks great !
Alan, I was surprised to learn that the Axiom subs are not
magnetically shielded ? I guess I just assumed they were, and never bother to check on it ? May I ask why Axiom decided not to do so ? Keeping the costs down by not doing so? Believing (and probably rightfully so) that nine times out of ten, most subs go into corners, or at least further away from the t/v than the mains ?
I've also never asked just how one goes about shielding a speaker ? Is there more than one way ? Any advantage to 'not' having it shielded, like speaker performance, etc ?
Thanks again for the heads up on this one.. Good to know..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#7045 12/02/02 08:09 PM
J
JBG Offline
devotee
devotee
J
welcome chess...to the big boy's club

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers
#7046 12/02/02 08:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

Few if any subs are shielded, the assumption being that it isn't needed because, as you point out, the sub will almost always be located far enough away from a TV that magnetic interference is not an issue. And you'd have to be out of your mind to put a CRT direct-view set on top of a subwoofer because of the danger of the sub's vibration shaking up the TV's innards.

No, there is no performance advantage to not shielding a speaker. Most speakers are shielded with an extra magnet of opposing force to cancel out spurious radiation. You can, however, rig shielding for a specialized installation with a piece of cold-rolled 20-gauge sheet steel, available from a metal shop.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#7047 12/06/02 04:20 AM
S
hobbyist
hobbyist
S
Wow! I have to admit, your setup looks great. However, don't you think the entire setup would look better if you had all your speakers in black? Just kidding..... I know you are not a big fan of that. Anyway, I have updated my setup and will send the pictures into Amie for the Wall-O-Fame also. I have to thank you, JohnK, and Ravi for the push to get the M60's. I am so happy with my purchase!

#7048 12/06/02 03:22 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Coloured Black??
All my hockey eqiupment is black, my stereo components are black, and my wife's CRV is black.
Dammit, doens't anyone like colours anymore? Give me anything but white or black (or grey). My imagination is being stunted here.

With the M60s set next to that HDTV, i believe the Wall of Fame should be renanmed to Walls of Sound.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters