Print Thread
Rate Thread
M22Ti for Rear surrounds
#7061 11/29/02 02:46 PM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have put my M22Ti for rear surrounds. I actually like it moreso than when I had the QS4 for rears. Surround sound music sounds much better but mind you I would not be listening to music this way. Stereo without sub is the way to go. I get very good detail for any backgroud music or sounds when playing any movie. Has anyone compared a QS8 vs M22Ti for rears?

I am also looking into getting a center back or 2 center backs to make the HT package 6.1 or 7.1. Should I be getting center speakers (like the VP100 or 150) for the back or standard surrounds or even one more M22Ti?

Thanks for any info;

Saturn

Re: M22Ti for Rear surrounds
#7062 11/29/02 09:24 PM
veteran
veteran
Saturn

I had compared QS4's and M3's, and I found the QS4's to be much better than M3's as rears for movies.

I will be getting QS8's so I will compare them to M22's if I ever have the space or time

#7063 11/30/02 01:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Saturn,
in direct reply to your question, yes, i have tested the QS8 vs the M22 as rears.
Chek out my thoughts in an older post (quite some time ago)
my post on m22 vs qs8 as rear surrounds

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7064 11/30/02 02:33 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks Chess..great review. Too bad you didnt get a Sound Level meter when you had it done. The reason for this is that I had QS4 setup and it was not metered and I thought my ears was good enough. It souded good. I was wrong. When I had it balanced for all speakers at like 75db sub including with the QS4 it was great. So then I swapped out the QS4 with the M22Ti and balanced it out again and after that I said wow. It was the detail that sold me in keeping the M22 vs the QS4. This is how far I was off with my ears.

Before sound meter
Fronts 0 db
Center -1 db
Left Surround +3
Right Surround +3
Sub - didnt set but level was too low

After sound meter - placed sound meter ear level at sitting position

Front 0 db
Center +2 db
Left Surround -6 db
Right Surround -4 db
Sub - had to bring up level a little bit up

I was way off. I guess my ears are not as good as I thought.

#7065 11/30/02 03:48 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sat, since you prefer the more direct sound of the M22s to the more diffused sound of the QS4s as side surrounds, it's likely that you would have a similar view as to back surrounds. If you still have the QS4s and a spare amp to drive back surrounds you could listen to them there. If not, it seems likely that you would also have a preference for one or two M2s or M22s in back.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#7066 11/30/02 04:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As a side note to your query, when i did finally pick up a sound meter, i did not have to make any changes to the level calibrations. All speakers were within 1dB, which incidentally is the deviation of the radio shack sound meter so you cannot get any more accurate using that item.

Hence, i'm making the assumption now that my general calibration by ear was not far off when i had the M22s several months ago.

As i noted in the review:
"we found that the QS8s simply dispersed sound ALOT differently yet in a way that helps to fool your ears into not knowing exactly where sounds are emanating from"

We did not enjoy the direct speakers that provided a localized sound most likely due to the horrible shape of our viewing/listening room. There simply was not enough space to move the M22s around and tweak them properly for position as rear surrounds.
The QS8s provided a much easier setup, virtually regardless of position, and dispersed the sound so that the primary sound was from the front of the room, which is what one would expect if you were sitting in a theatre watching a production or a band but with those echoes off the side walls, etc.
Although again i also must note as stated from the original review:
"This is not to say that the m22s were not admirable performers."
I liked the M22s very much. They sounded to me quite identical to the M60s except like the 'little brother' version. Not as large a sound, not as deep a bass, but all the clarity and the same sound stage. I wish i had known about Axiom when i was back in my earlier university days. I bought a $1500 Technics system at the time which could have gotten me some much nicer Axiom speakers and a decent receiver.
If we had a room that was a bit more long so i could get the M22s a bit more behind and to the sides then toed in, then i think the M22s would have been a somewhat greater contender for the surround duty in our system.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7067 12/01/02 04:34 AM
Saturn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks John for your suggestion. I just have to figure out if I got the space in my new space if I can have 2 more speakers for the center back position.

Chess I tried one thing today that gave the surrounds more depth. With the surround speakers pointing towards the listening position on left and right of seating position. That gave a more localized sound as you have noticed in your tests. What I tried today was toeing out the speakers towards the back of the listening position. This definitely got rid of the localized sounds and gave it a more dispersed depth without losing detail of the rear sounds.
My friend bought the QS4 off me and so I can not test anymore with that speakers.

Saturn

ps: You definitely got better ears than me.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044