Print Thread
Rate Thread
OT: coooold air returns in basement
#70706 12/05/04 03:16 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Hey fellow Axiomites, didn'r really know which board to post this question:

Anyway, we built a new home about 3 years ago, and I've been working on remodeling about 3/4 of it for months now, what a long process. Anyway, I've learned a lot in the process (framing, electrical, hanging drywall, etc...)

I'm at the point where I've had to add some additional heating vents, no problem, and cold air returns. The cold air returns is my question today.

I have a few locations where I can use the cavity between the framing to have cold returns down near the floor in a few rooms, but I think I need more. For a basement environment, can a cold air return be up high near the ceiling? I have a number of locations that I could cut out for a vent in the main cold air return run, which runs along the entire length of the basement?

Thanks in advance, for any HVAC experts out there

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: OT: coooold air returns in basement
#70707 12/05/04 03:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
sirquack,

You might want to check your local code to see what the requirements are.
My finished basement has all of the cold air returns on the ceiling.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#70708 12/05/04 04:09 PM
OP Offline
thanks tleigh, I live out in the country and I don't think there would be any code issues. Heck, I did all the electrical myself and didn't need a permit or anything. I just noticed all our upper level returns are on the floor, which kinda makes sense since the colder air would be lower than warmer air, my basement stays pretty cool anyway, so i'm sure it would be bettern than nothing. Of course, I'll try to make use of as many low returns as possible.

#70709 12/05/04 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Randy,
You are absolutely correct. You want to draw the cold air off the floor whenever possible - especially in the basement. Quantity and location depends on a number of factors.

How "chopped up" is the basement? How many rooms are there? Any going to be used as bedrooms? Is there a door at the top of the stairs? Any supplemental heat? (Gas/Wood/Propane fireplace? / electric baseboard heaters?)

In some situations, you have no choice but to install it at the ceiling. Just remember it will be drawing the WARM air off the ceiling. If you find it is making the room less comfortable, it is always easier to block it off, than trying to install one after the room is finished.

Shawn

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#70710 12/05/04 05:16 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I can help you out with that one. I worked in the HVAC field for 10 years and now have been in the instrumentation field for 17years. It would be best to have the cold air return to the furnace near the floor if you want to go through that extra work, however, having the a cold air reutrn as far away from the furnace as far as practical is great. If it is at the ceiling that is ok. Your just trying to get some circulation. Another option is if your furnace room is centrally located in the basement, that a grill in the door is fine. How big is the basement and how open is it? I imagine you probably have two return air grills up stairs? Also, one other option that I recommend is a two speed fan motor if you have any problems with cold spots, sickness, or moisture. Anyway, email me if you like and we can talk more.
Thanks,
Gerry

#70711 12/05/04 05:39 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Shawn and Gerry,

I'll try to expand...The total sq. ft. of our basement is probably 2100sq ft, our home is a ranch design we had built about 3 yrs ago. Instead of traditional poured foundation, we went with "Ice Block", there are many names for this these days, but it is basically foam forms with rebar and voids beteen them, they are filled with 8" of concrete. Very very efficient, you can place your hand on the foam and it starts getting warm to the touch in a few seconds. Anyway, I did not have to frame the exterior walls, as this material has plastic grids every foot you can screw the drywall into. So I can't use exterior walls for venting.

One half of the basement is about 1,000 Sq Ft and it all open, this will be my rec room/bar/pool table/ HT/walk out area...There are currently 3 heating vents up on the ceiling vents shooting downwards in that room.

The other half we framed with interior walls, consisting of a bathroom, extra bedroom/office, storage room, and work out room. The furnace is in the same area as the storage/work out areas, as i don't plan to finish this area.

The main runs of the heating/coldair run the entire length of the basement in the center. I'm pretty sure I can use one of the cavities from our hallway wall leading back to the bathroom/bedroom, and come strait down from the cold air run, and place a register near the floor in the hallway. Also, in the storage room and work out area, i'm sure I can add some low in there as well. The problem is in the bedroom/bathroom/ and larger entertainment side of the basement. Unless I'm not seeing an opportunity, it looks like I may have to place them higher, near the ceiling. I'm sure the one in the hallway, which will be pretty much centrally located will help, but our basement is pretty big...now the one in the hallway is opposite the wall in the pool table area, so I guess I could put one on the other side of the wall also...

#70712 12/05/04 07:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
the ideal situation is to have high supplies and low returns or just the opposite-if you can get a high and low return would be your best bet,and also,if this is where your home theater is ,oversize the return grilles and boxes and have them lined to reduce the noise level...good luck

#70713 12/06/04 01:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
where are the warm air feeds? if they are on the floor too, you don't want them so close they will suck up the warm air as soon as it enters the living area. the best way to check to see if you have ample cold air returns is to:
turn your blower on
close all doors to the area so it's isolated
then open one door about 3 inches
if the door is sucked closed, you need more balanced feeds & returns in the room
the door should not be sucked closed
dan

#70714 12/06/04 02:29 PM
OP Offline
wow, thanks for the feedback and ideas, in my basement all of the heat vents are on the ceiling. I was able last night to find a location, where I can use one of the cavity's from the interior wall of the hallway area, so I'll be able to have a register in that location near the floor, and in that same location on the opposite wall of the recroom.

All is shaping up and looking good, now I just need to run some more plumbing lines for my bar area and bathroom. Our house has the newer PEX poly water lines, and the tool is like $90 bucks for the special fittings. My wife also wants a water softener put in, so I may just get a plumber in here to do all of that...

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020