Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I'm confused about hooking up digital connection?
#71331 12/09/04 07:22 PM
M
Mike89 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK. I have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card and a Logitech Z-5500 digital 5.1 speaker system.

I'm confused about hooking this set up digital. The Creative Start Guide shows the digital output of the sound card as a 4 pin miniplug.

The Speakers show both a coax digital input (RCA) and a optical (Toslink).

Where do I find a coax cable with RCA male jack on one end and a 4 pin miniplug on the other? I have a 6 ft coax cable with RCA jacks on both ends. Where am I going to find that adaptor that has a 4 pin male miniplug on one end and a female RCA on the other to hook up that cable?

Similarly, the same issue with the optical. I would need a 4 pin male miniplug on one end and a toslink on the other. I'm searching around and don't see what I need.

Also another question. The RCA jack has me a bit baffled. I always assumed that an RCA jack only carried a mono signal. How does that jack carry a 5.1 signal (being that the sound card has a 4 pin miniplug on the other end)?

I sure would appreciate some help as I can't seem to find any. Thanks.

Re: I'm confused about hooking up digital connecti
#71332 12/09/04 09:30 PM
shareholder in the making
Are you sure there isn't a little dongle in the box with the Audigy? That sounds like a proprietary connector. As for the RCA connector on the other end, since the signal is digital, all it is is 1s and 0s. You don't need more than two conductors for that!

Just to satisfy my own curiousity, what led you to post this question here? (not saying you shouldn't have, just curious)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#71333 12/10/04 12:35 AM
M
Mike89 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well I've been looking all over for answers, couldn't find any, and got this site off google.

I did just got a single 1/8 stereo connector jack to plug into the Audigy. The other end of the connector is a female RCA. I pluged my RCA cable into it and the other end into my speakers coax digital input. Nothing! Says no digital signal. Even when switching to the digital mode in the Audigy and trying the speaker check, no sound. Switch back over to analog (using the 3 analog jacks from the sound card to the speakers)and all is fine. So it seems I can't get digital to work at all.

#71334 12/10/04 12:45 AM
Well, from looking at Creative's support site, you may need to buy more cables. They talk about it going to a digital DIN connector, which I've never heard of. Anyone else? It may be an external box; their diagram is crap. Anyway, here's the page.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#71335 12/10/04 01:40 AM
M
Mike89 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The Din is that connector with little pins in the middle, sort of like an S Video connector. My speakers don't have that connection. The only digital connections I have on the speakers is the coax (RCA) and optical (toslink).

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044