Rate Thread
Speakers for Denon UD-M50
#71616 12/12/04 05:00 PM
K
KBear Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey guys,

I will probably pick up a Denon UD-M50 microsystem (30W/channel) this week. They are typically sold without speakers, or paired with Missions which I don't particularly want. So I'm looking at speakers and I have narrowed it down to these:

Axiom M3ti
Paradigm Atoms/Titans
Energy C-1

I'm really leaning towards the Axioms because of their stats and amazing reviews. Will use the system in a small room mainly for hard rock (eg. GN'R). They will be placed about 9 inches away from the wall.

Comments? Is this a good match...ie. Denon/Axiom? Will the system be good for hard rock? Is the placement a concern? I've read that having them close to the wall will improve bass, but too close is obviously bad b/c they are rear ported. I'm hoping 9 inches is fine.

Our big stereo is like 30 years old and not very good - the sound is very muffled so I don't even use it. I mainly listen to a twelve year old Sony boombox with integrated speakers, which for what it is I think is actually pretty darn good. Obviously though, I think the Denon should be head and shoulders better and I feel it's time to upgrade to something nice. A real home theatre is years away and I like to listen in this particular room...which is why I'm getting the micro.

If I decide to save some money, I could buy the Yamaha MCR-E300 instead of the Denon, and still match it with one of the above named speakers. So feel free to commment on that system as well. (But I really like the Denon!).

Thanks.

Re: Speakers for Denon UD-M50
#71617 12/12/04 05:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I currently own a pair of Titans, they are down the basement gathering dust, IF I ever go to 7.1 they can be the back speakers.

I have heard the M3tis and to my ears they were a "bigger" sounding speaker. If I had to choose I'd go with the Axioms even though Atoms/Titans are also good small speakers.

My evaluation is totally unscientific. The speakers weren't in the same city never mind the same room when I heard them .

You also may want to consider future purchases when making your decision if having all speakers the same brand is important to you.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters