Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Boutique brands at Best Buy?
#71633 12/13/04 02:10 PM
aficionado
aficionado
DJ, are you backhandedly telling me that when i put a dvd-a in, and use 6 channel input on my rxv1300, the speakers are all automatically set to large?

#71634 12/13/04 02:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

DJ, are you backhandedly telling me that when i put a dvd-a in, and use 6 channel input on my rxv1300, the speakers are all automatically set to large?

Essentially, yes. To your receiver all speakers are "large" when 6-channel input is enabled (even though the setting doesn't technically go to large.) Think of it this way:

What exactly does setting speakers to large vs. small do? The sole purpose of this setting is to engage bass management. The bass management system in all modern receivers is done digitally. Receivers cannot process the data given to them when the data is analog. They must first convert the signal to the digital domain, because the data has to be digital for the receiver to do ANY processing (including bass management). Harman Kardon, to my knowledge, is the only receiver manufacturer that uses ADCs on all channels. This enables bass management on the 6-channel input since the data is converted to digital and the crossover circuitry is allowed to work. With almost all other receivers, only the front two channels are given ADCs so you can enable all of the processing options such as Dolby ProLogic IIx, dts:Neo6, or even bass management. There may be a very small minority of non-Harman Kardon receivers out there that have ADCs on all channels, but I don't recall seeing any - especially not from Yamaha (although I haven't looked at the RX-Z9 specs yet).

What I said does not mean that bass management cannot be done, however. It just means it has to be done prior to amplifier input. This is where a device such as the analog Outlaw ICBM comes in. It solves the problem that almost all receivers have, and it does it all in the analog domain, so you do not have to worry about up-sampling and down-sampling the signal. (I would personally rather have it done digitally, however.) Additionally, most DVD-A and SACD players offer some sort of bass management feature, built-in. This essentially takes the place of the one that is built in to your receiver.

In summary, while your receiver treats all speakers as "large" during 6-channel input, they can have bass management done to them if it is done prior to reaching the amplifier.

#71635 12/13/04 03:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
thanks for the reply. just learned something new. i do know it sounds great to me eventhough my mits player has no bass management mentions.
dan

#71636 12/13/04 03:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, in theory, it shold give you the best performance because it has absolutely no processing done on it. 6-Channel input is basically an easy way to do "Direct Stereo" on the Yamaha models that do not offer it (pretty much all yamaha models minus a few such as the RX-Z9).

I am a firm believer that, contrary to THX and Dolby specifications, the ideal situation for multi-channel audio, the ideal situation is 6 identical speakers that are all capable of a full frequency response and a nice subwoofer that is dedicated to its discrete channel. Sure it will be a LOT more work to calibrate the speakers with the room so that you do not get deep bass problems, but I believe it is worth it in the end. That being said, I use small speakers for my center and rear channels because I do not have the space for 5 M60 towers. I have, however, heard a 6 channel music setup with 5 identical speakers and a beefy subwoofer (Velodyne HGS-18). It sounded incredible in the huge room it was in, though the fact that the room was fairly large made it a bit easier to address room mode problems.

#71637 12/13/04 04:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
DJ, i use 2 60's, 1 vp150, 2qs8's, and ep350. aix's christmas dvd-a sounds great in 6 channel.
dan

#71638 12/13/04 04:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
From what I have heard on this forum, the VP 150 can produce some pretty deep bass for a speaker its size. I'd also imagine that the QS8s arent that far off since they are typically wall-mounted (which would reinforce their bass output). Obviously that 350 sub can produce the lower octaves nicely.

I'd definitely think that you have a setup that can cause a lot of "system-envy" from other people. I hope to get a VP100 or 150 soon for my system... Maybe this Christmas after I buy myself a new laptop if I still have cash left over.

Not to try and change the topic too much, but do you have any suggestions on what my first DVD-A should be?
I would want something that is extremely well mastered and will make me appreciate the added resolution and additional channels.
I have the capability to play DVD-A disks, but I have yet to purchase one - heh. I do like Christmas music, and I think I may try to look for that Aix disk =].

#71639 12/13/04 05:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
DJ, go to aixrecords.com. there you will find the christmas cd. also try lawrence juber, guitor noir.
dan

#71640 12/13/04 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While I would hardly call the mfg'ers you mention "Boutique Brands", these are not available at the Best Buys I have visited - either in Canada or the US.

The equipment they carry is squarely aimed at mass market segments. As such, the "quality" (for lack of a better term) of customer service will vary greatly.

#71641 12/13/04 06:14 PM
devotee
devotee
No misinterpretation, I have been in the A/V retail business for years, and I know exactly what the guy was trying to do. I guess you just had to be there.

#71642 12/13/04 06:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In that case, what a jerk .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945