Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Still a little unsure about Axioms
#71804 12/14/04 10:11 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
ok now just to add to this if you think the Axiom beat B&W 603 601 et all then they should have no problem beating LCR 600 i talk form experience i like the sound of B&W600 series but only complained that center does not kick in too much and feels muffeled besides so many axiom owners can not be wrong thanks

#71805 12/15/04 01:35 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Hey.....Hay.

I know about Laserland. I went there about two-three weeks ago and auditioned some M80ti's, VP150 and QS8's. I watched about 15 mins. of Pearl Harbour. At the time I didn't think much about concentrating on the Center Channel. I was floored by the 80's in two channel and the QS8's were terrific for realistic surround features. To be honest I guess NOT noticing the VP150 is a good thing.

"I gotta have more cow bells!"
#71806 12/16/04 05:08 PM
devotee
devotee
I have to agree with Mark. The VP150 matches the M60s perfectly. It did take some work on my part to make it that way in my room. I was having some doubts about it when I first got it. Positioning was everything in my case. I had 4 issues that had to be overcome to get it to blend properly.

#1 - My 65" RPTV is a big (58"x61"x22"), 3 sided, resonating box. If I set the VP150 directly on top of the TV, I can hear the coloration that it adds. I made a "bridge" out of a 1x6 and some folded up red shop rags at the outside edges of the TV. The cloth works well to kill the sound transmission from the VP150 to the TV, and the whole thing only lifts the VP150 about 1" above the TV. This also prevents the weight of the speaker from bowing the top of the TV. The resonances are gone and the sound cleaned up nicely. I will make a new bridge out of some "living area acceptable" materials one of these days.

#2 - As someone else here mentioned, moving it forward or backward even an inch causes big changes in the way it sounds at the listening position. It makes perfect sense, as this changes several things at once.
  • It acts as a "fine adjustment" for the delay setting in my reciever (HK630), that only has 1 foot adjustment intervals. Changing the delay settings absolutely changes the way the speaker sounds in relation to the other speakers, it is very easy to hear the difference between settings.
  • The phase control on my sub is set in relation to my M60s. Moving the VP150 changes it's phase relationship with the sub. I have the crossover for the center set to 100Hz in the HK, and the sub really needs to be in phase to get that bottom end filled in properly.
  • It changes the angle at which the sound waves hit the ceiling. Visualize a side view, and think pool shot. Sound comes out of the speaker, hits the flat, hard, ceiling (or floor), and goes where? The combination of these reflections along with the sound coming out of the speaker going straight to the listening position matters. It's the same as the "early reflections" often spoken about in reference to the front speakers and the side walls.

#3 - At first, I was always propping up the back of the VP to point it down at the listening position. I started using it pointing straight ahead, and it fills out the soundstage much better.

#4 - I had the center level set too hot. Whenever I used Avia, the proper center setting would be -3.5db. I always rounded up to -3 instead of down to -4. It blends much better at -4. The difference between the two settings is very noticeable in movies like Star Wars where there are long slow pans across the front. The VP150 is closer to 6 ohms and the M60s at 8 ohms. I think that the high current amps in the HK really make the most of that slight difference.

Just my observations...

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters