Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: IF it's 34 here.....(Florida)...............
#72128 12/17/04 03:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado
im with you zarak,hopefully it will be a big storm

#72129 12/17/04 05:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jack, we need to let the out-of-state truckers know about that oil build up because they're always crashing in the rain out here.

When my boy is of driving age, we're going to head out into the dirt so he can get some practice at sliding cars around. Worked for me.

#72130 12/17/04 10:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm in Taipei

75, sunny, 10mph breeze, and not too humid.

shorts, t shirts and sandals weather

#72131 12/17/04 12:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
jack, just have a humidifier installed on your heating system. there are many on the market, and they do the job of raising the comfort level and humidity.

#72132 12/17/04 12:27 PM
devotee
devotee
FYI....the rain-driving paralysis is rampant down here in Georgia, as well. Growing up in New Hampshire, I am well used to having my car go into a snow slide without any major panic. So, the rain to me is nothing more than a hindrance. Unless it's a full downpour that effects visibility, there's no real reason to slow that much when you're on a highway....it's not ice. But, the second a raindrop hits the windshield, you can expect the traffic to drop by at least 10-20 mph and the few stray fools to kick on their hazards....never quite understood the hazards thing.

BTW....still hovering at freezing. However, we're actually set to hit the 50's during the day over the next couple of days....wooohoooo!!!!

#72133 12/17/04 01:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, Great idea about sliding the boy around on dirt. You really want to teach him? Bring him to Cleveland for the winter.

Ravi, OH BUZZ OFF!

Dan, Thank you for the suggestion, but I rent, and don't want to give my landlord a free humidifier. What do those things cost? I've got a portable Vornado, that does a pretty good job. I've just been too damn lazy to haul it out. I hate changing the filters.

We had our first big time snowfall about a week ago. The weather folks had been predicting the storm for 3 or 4 days, but strangely, the road crews were uncharacteristically missing in action. Usually, with that much notice, they're right on top of things. Not this time. I had to run of couple of errands in the middle of the storm, and not only had the roads NOT been treated, but I didn't see one plow or salt truck until the next day. Needless to say, the roads were pretty treacherous.

Now, that combination (first snowfall, and sleeping road crews) usually can lead to some real problems while people try to remember how to drive in conditions like that, and I later did hear of a number of the standard fender benders.

But, on my errands, everybody really had their act together. All of us cut our speed to a reasonable level without creeping at 10 miles per hour. I made my journey, and returned with no problems. Usually you have at least a few idiots (like me) who can't initially adjust to having a 10 minute trip take 20 minutes, so they get into trouble. Even I was calm, cool, and collected. I was VERY impressed (and surprised).

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#72134 12/17/04 05:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Unless it's a full downpour that effects visibility, there's no real reason to slow that much when you're on a highway....it's not ice.

Umm...Hydroplaning.

Note rule #1.

#72135 12/17/04 07:09 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Hydroplaning can be fun when you're the only one on the road.

While driving back from Tahoe a couple weeks ago, my right front tire hit a patch of black ice on the highway while going around a gradual left turn. We were gonig about 50 and the front of the car suddenly shifted a couple feet to the right, but since the car is FWD, I didn't need to do any corrective action -- my tires were still pointing where I wanted to go.

It was one of those moments that's a lot scarier the more you think about what could have happened.

#72136 12/17/04 07:25 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
same thing happened to us in my wife's new AWD truck. i was driving, and hit a water spot, and felt a momentary hydroplane. and at the same moment, i felt the AWD kick in, and the other wheels seemed to pick up and correct it for me.. it was a weird feeling. glad to know its capabilities.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#72137 12/17/04 07:54 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I grew up and learned to drive in Pittsburgh (bad traffic, lotsa steep hills/winding roads and snow), moved to Detroit and its snow & traffic (don't ask) and have been in Rochester NY for 23 years (we're talking SNOW here). I feel pretty good about my abilities in slick & slippy and have never really had a problem. Mostly because of the constant practice I guess. Also, all of those places expect snow, they get it and they are prepared to deal with it.

The most terrifying experiences I have had behind a steering wheel is when I am in someplace like Charlotte and 1/2" of snow falls. I learned VERY quickly to get off the road when something like this happens. Not worried about myself, but rather the remainder of all of the people in cars around me.

Their eyes go to triple size (not unlike Mark ), their common sense muscle shuts down, panic is on their breath and ALL OF THEM think the way to deal with it is to drive fast & take chances. You can actually hear all of their hearts beating at 3X normal. It's frightening.

Based on my vast vehicular expertise, the last thing I told my daughter (who I tortured for hours by making her slide around in a mall parking lot to learn to control the car) as she pulled out of our driveway on the way to her new home in DC was to stay off the road when it even LOOKS like it might snow. To her credit, she remembered that advice and has thanked me for it. She has lived there for 4 years now and still marvels at the way a city that size can break into a spontaneous city-wide game of bumper cars when somebody even just whispers the word "snow" under their breath.

Now I find a new threat. The old "rain brings oil" thing. Is there nowhere safe anymore?

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup