Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Calling All Computer Geniuses
#72485 12/17/04 02:39 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
There's a fellow posting over at the av123 forum who is trying to decide between Rockets and Axioms. He has a tough decision, because he is located in Oman, in the Middle East, and isn't exactly in a position to order both to compare in his own home. Well he can, but he'd have to mortgage his first born to do so.

His efforts to post here haven't met with success. He keeps getting an error message that reads

"The host you are trying to send the input from is not a valid host."

He has emailed the webmaster here but, as yet, has not received a reply.

Anybody got any ideas?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Calling All Computer Geniuses
#72486 12/17/04 02:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Tell him to try a proxy. I would imagine that the forums are trying a Reverse-DNS loopup and are failing, thus not letting him on.

#72487 12/17/04 02:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You can get that error from firewall software, or pop-up blockers, or a number of other things. I think it happens if you're working from cached pages too. He might try disabling any software firewall he has temporarily and trying to post. Or configuring it to let through anything from axiomaudio. (You should be able to add www.axiomaudio.com as a trusted site.) That could be the problem.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#72488 12/17/04 03:13 PM
shareholder in the making
On my system, I have to disable Norton Internet Security before I can post anything. I can read the forum with no problems, but can't post at all without disabling Norton.

It's actually a bit of a PIA when I'm just posting a short sentence or two (like this), but I haven't found an alternative.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#72489 12/17/04 04:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark, there's no way to configure axiom as a trusted site? Generally that will happen if for some reason Norton is not sending sufficient information to the website in question. Forums have guards in place that require information about the referrer in order to avoid spam postings and such. From my experience, you can configure any such application to get around that problem, be it through preferences or a trusted site listing. If you dig around enough about your Norton app, I would expect that you could find information on how to properly configure it to avoid that problem.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#72490 12/17/04 04:13 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack, on my PC, I have the same issue as your friend in Oman and Mark. My solution is the same as Mark's - everytime I reply or send a PM, I need to disable Norton.

If anyone has a clue on how to specifically tweak Norton's settings to avoid this little dance, it would be much appreciated.

#72491 12/17/04 04:34 PM
Ajax Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Is the problem just with Norton Security? I run Norton AntiVirus alone, which I assume is part of the Norton Security suite, and have no problems.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#72492 12/17/04 04:41 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
In my case, Norton Internet Security (the suite which includes Anti-Virus) is the culprit. If I install only Anti-Virus, I don't have the problem. I prefer the extra security, so the whole suite is on board.

#72493 12/17/04 04:51 PM
This is a Firewall issue, and most likely because of the Referrer Check features built into newer versions of UBB.

I'm not sure what version of UBB this website uses, but I have heard on other forums that in the UBB configuration, there is a Referrer Check feature. The basic purpose of this option is to check legitimacy of the poster, and to protect the board from spamming, etc... I'm not sure if the website moderator is watching, but it appears this problem started on versions of UBB 6.5 or later. In previous versions the referrer check is turned off. This can be disabled in the config utility by the moderator, but really is a security feature that was added. To disable go into Control Panel, go to Master Settings: Primary Settings. On the General tab, expand the Advanced Options (by clicking the + sign). Check the box after "Disable HTTP Referrer Check?" Then save the changes.

More than likely the moderator will not be willing to disable this feature. So the other alternative is for those that have firewalls running on their pc, to check the configuration, as they are all differant, and to allow the Referer Variable.

good luck

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#72494 12/17/04 04:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Norton Internet Security includes a number of norton products. The one I would look into would be Norton Personal Firewall. I think in that application you can do something like
Options->Advanced Options: "Add site" www.axiomaudio.com
Then try permitting the various options for that site until the problem goes away. There should be something about a "referrer" or somesuch thing which I would expect to be the problem.

The basic idea is that when you move from one page to another, information about the originating page can be passed into the destination page. This is useful for companies that want to make sure you are using the site in the intended way. On a forum this would mean you had done something like made a post from a valid "enter new post" page, rather than carefully constructed a false post and programmatically sent it to the site. That information can also be used to track your movements across pages, which is why some firewalls (like Norton's) block it when possible. I suspect that is what's happening here, and you can always configure such applications to allow certain sites to view that information. It's just a matter of finding the option in the options list.

Edit: looks like I am a hair late. But since we took different approaches to the problem I'll leave this post. I think it's a useful security feature for the forum, and so hopefully by finding that referrer option in their firewalls and allowing it for axiom's site, those people experiencing this problem can get it fixed.

Last edited by ringmir; 12/17/04 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters