Print Thread
Rate Thread
Concrete, Subs & Wattage
#7269 12/13/02 08:39 PM
PhilK Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
My HT setup is in the basement. The walls and ceilng are finished in drywall. Covering the concrete floor is thick padding and thick carpeting. The theatre area is apx 16 x 13, but the theatre boundary on the right side does not have a wall, only a heating duct overhang (about 2'), a couch and two end tables. The actual wall is about 10' further than the imaginary boundary. I may put up a wall, prefab or otherwise at some point, not certain. It was suggested by a tech person at SVS, that I ought to look at the PC Plus series of subwoofers as opposed to the PCi. So the question is, does the composition of my basement floor effect/increase the need for higher wattage? Also, wattage seems to be a proprietary rating. A Rel Q150E delivers incredible subsound with 150 watts. Others rated at 350 or above can't touch it. So how does one know?

Phil

Re: Concrete, Subs & Wattage
#7270 12/13/02 09:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Wattage is a measurement of power. It's the multiplication of voltage and current. While it is loosely associated with how loud a speaker plays, the sensitivity of the speaker plays a major role as well. As very high sensitivity on a lower powered sub will result in more bang per watt, so to speak.

Forget the silly specs. The people that obsess over specs do so because they haven't trained their ears to tell the difference and they desperately want an objective reason to buy something. However, for better or worse, this hobby can not be classified so objectively. It's all about sound which is incredibly personal. Get it in your home and listen to it. Decide which you like better.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044