Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom M80,M60 V/s B&W 600 Series or Experiences
#72898 12/20/04 07:21 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi Guys i have came across many posts comparing the Sound of Axiom M80 or M60 to B&W speakers i am interested in finding the exact model to compare
like M80 compare to which model in B&W
same for M60
and is there any axiom owner who converted/upgraded from owning a set of B&W into Axiom world thier experiences will be cherished thanks

Re: Axiom M80,M60 V/s B&W 600 Series or Experience
#72899 12/20/04 07:51 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Well, I didn't convert from B&Ws. I spent quite a bit of time auditioning them (600 and 700 series) because that was where I was headed before finding Axiom. At the end of the day, my ears tell me that the M60s and 703s were very close (I'd hate to have to live on the difference).

The 600 series didn't make the trip in relation to the M60s and 703s. I've actually gone back to the B&W dealer several times (using the same CD for comparison) and validated the M60 to 703 comparison. They are very similar.

As far as the M80s are concerned, for all intents and purposes, they simply play louder than the M60s with the audio being very close.

I hope this is helpful, because the question and circumstances will be difficult for finding specific experience. Hopefully, someone will be able to provide something a little more scientifically based.

#72900 12/20/04 08:14 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I purchased a pair of the B&W 602s3 just prior to my m22s. On my meager system the B&Ws were the worst sounding speaker I had ever heard. I got advice like they need time to break in, to you need more power to open them up. I only kept them a few hours, and I ordered the 22s and there wasn't even a comparison. I can't say anything about the 700 series since I have never auditioned them since there is no way I would spend that much on a pair of speakers.

#72901 12/20/04 10:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A friend of mine bought some B&W 600 series speakers (don't know what model - floorstanders, though, with [I think] four drivers).

I recently went to his hosue to check out his new DLP 50" set (sweet, by the way) and he cranked up his B&W system. He has an older B&W center and two surrounds - they were the definite weak link in his system. His receiver was pretty old, too and lacked some needed power. He had a brand new SVS sub (huge!). In addition, he had wall to wall carpeting in his basement (whereas I have bare hard wood floors). His set up was connected entirely digitally. My set-up, on the other hand, consists of M60s, VP100, Yamaha 750 Hsu sub -- -- I tell you this so that you can take what I am going to say in context.

We put in some old standard reference DVDs for picture and sound (Star Wars II, Gladiator). I really thought that his B&Ws lacked response, clarity and depth. I guess I should also note that his speakers were placed reasonably apart from each other such that the sonudstage should have been nice and open.

I found the B&Ws to be really unremarkable, if not somewhat of a let-down. The speakers never "came alive," like I had cotton balls in my ears, or something. This might be due to his older receiver or the relative difference between hard wood and carpet to my ears - but the speakers lacked brightness (something that I like).

On the other hand, I have auditioned the 703s - based on recommendations that I heard here regarding the similarity between it and the M60. I must say that in Myer-Emco, I was quite impressed with that speaker. It performed remarkably, and exceeded my expectations in every regard that the 600s let me down. I preferred the 703 to the 600s in every respect (except price), and also preferred to listen to music without the subwoofer. They are truly a gorgeous speaker that excels in every aspect. I can say the same thing about the M60, though too - except I prefer its price even to the 600s.

At the end of the day, I would choose the 703 if money weren't an issue. The M60 is a very close second, though. Given the difference in price (you get a pair of 703s, or a complete Axiom Home Theater, with sub and a receiver), which would you choose?

Interesting anecdote: My friend (who likes to consider himself an audiophile - but who also hates to admit that he made a poor choice) gets drunk one night while we were talking about HT and speaker related stuff and confesses to me that the M60 is the most detailed speaker he has ever heard and that he preferred the M60 to his own 600 series B&Ws (of which he is very proud). I, too, would pick the M60 every time over his 600s.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044