Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calling All Computer Geniuses, Part II
#73044 12/21/04 04:04 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
In this thread a few days ago, advice was given on how to possibly prevent Norton Internet Security from interfering with posts here. I checked my software (2003 version) and didn't see the options that others mentioned. I didn't sweat it though, as I had a copy of Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2004 sitting on my desk for a month an a half waiting to be installed, so I thought I would just re-visit the website issue at that point. I bought NIS 2004 because the virus definition subscription to my 2003 software was expiring, and it was only $5 more to get the newer 2004 version of NIS with a year's subscription included than to renew the subscription for the 2003 version.

Well, yesterday I decided to install it and ran into many issues. After installation I was getting a runtime error on booting and NIS wouldn't let me even "make it active" (as opposed to disabled) because it was telling me I didn't have Administrator Privileges on my XP Pro system (of course I do; I've never had any issues with other software that is "Administrator sensitive"). Anyway, after several hours of updating definitions from the Norton website and many, many reboots, etc, I gave up and uninstalled the 2004 version to only find that the 2003 version was now giving me problems….. so I uninstalled that as well.

I'm not looking for free tech support here but have a pretty basic question:

Should I forget NIS completely and be satisfied that my router's firewall, the Windows XP firewall and Google's pop-up blocker should be sufficient in protecting my computer, or should I go out and buy a whole new Norton Suite and install it all together after uninstalling my current Norton Antivirus? I guess I'm not sure if the NIS software would really do anything for me above what MS now provides with their built-in firewall.

I'm not worried about cost; this is my main business computer and I need it to be safe…. I just want to do what's best. Any thoughts?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Calling All Computer Geniuses, Part II
#73045 12/21/04 05:06 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Did you uninstall 2003 before you started? Norton is a bit finicky and I think the Read Me even tells you to unistall a current version before installing the new one.

#73046 12/21/04 06:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, this is ONLY my opinion, but I run Norton AntiVirus by itself, have the free ZoneAlarm installed, and, like you, I have a router firewall (I have disabled the Windows firewall). I feel as protected as is possible. I've heard that hardware firewalls (like the router) offer superior, incoming protection than software firewalls. But, I like the free ZoneAlarm on top of the router, because it gives me control of outgoing stuff.

If you want to test your computer security:

Go to Gibson Research Corporation, scroll 2/3 of the way down the page and click on "ShieldsUP!"

You'll get a page explaining your IP address. Click "Proceed."

On the next page, in the box labeled "ShieldsUP!! Services" you'll find buttons that will test your computer for all sorts of vulnerabilities. The two that are the most important are "Common Ports" and "All Service Ports." With the configuration on my computer that I mentioned above, I achieve readings of "Complete Stealth" My computer isn't even visible.

On the page to which I linked above, you'll find 3, very tiny freeware programs under the title "Your Three Musketeers." They are, "UnPlug n' Pray," "DCOMbobulator," and "Shoot The Messenger." These little programs are worth downloading, and running, to be sure all your bases are covered. The "Leak Test," found just under the "ShieldsUP!" link on this page is another worthwhile test to run.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#73047 12/21/04 06:24 PM
OP Offline
Wow!
Thank you guys for the help. Almost makes me feel bad for what I just posted about all you guys in another thread!

"I did NOT read the README file" he replied sheepishly.... I was under the impression that the READMEs were generally little quirks that you could print and then catch up on after installation. If there's something in there about uninstalling previous versions, I sincerely apologize for wasting anyone's time here.

I honestly would have thought that a major installation point like that would have been on a sticker on the CD, if not in the booklet itself....or at the very least in ALL CAPS at the very top of the readme file!

I will double check for that when I get back into the office later though!

Jack; Thanks for that link...it sounds like just what I need to determine if I really AM secure or not! Then again, I have more insecurities than anyone can imagine......

You guys are the greatest...I toast you bioth with Eggnog!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#73048 12/21/04 06:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
"I run Norton AntiVirus by itself, have the free ZoneAlarm installed, and, like you, I have a router firewall (I have disabled the Windows firewall). I feel as protected as is possible"

Ditto...

james

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#73049 12/21/04 07:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
nav 2004 or later with subscription current. spybot s&d v1.3 windows xp w/spk2.that should cover you. remember there is a balance to security v. usability. oh and yes you must remove one version of norton before installing another but it should have prompted you to do so.

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#73050 12/21/04 11:46 PM
If it's your business computer and you want to really be safe, get a real hardware firewall such as a Sonicwall, Cisco PIX ($$$), or Netscreen (PIA to adminster). Expect to pay at least $500 for the privilege, and a yearly fee for support and updates. Then get an antivirus software solution of your choice (NAV is probably liveable, but Symantec Anti-virus is much less flashy, and other programs may do better). I'm currently recommending Ad-Aware SE as an anti-installed spyware program. As far as preventing spyware, I don't have any particular software for that in my portfolio at the moment, but I imagine there's some good ones. Also, keep running Windows Update.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#73051 12/21/04 11:54 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Also doesn't hurt to put a router between your computer and the outside world and thus add a hardware firewall.

#73052 12/22/04 12:07 AM
A router's not a firewall, necessarily. A lot of firewalls (in the cheaper arenas) are firewalls, but those little Linksys and Netgear things aren't really firewalls. Or at least, I wouldn't trust them with a real business. (assuming i could get the owner to PAY for a Sonicwall...)

#73053 12/22/04 12:45 AM
In reply to:

A lot of firewalls (in the cheaper arenas) are firewalls

The walls
The walls
The walls are on fire.

#73054 12/22/04 12:56 AM
aficionado
aficionado
ad-aware is good i use that as well but you then have to rely on the user to update and scan (with the free version) spybot search & destroy is good for spyware because it has another utility called teatimer that monitors changes to you startup, homepage, regisrty etc.

#73055 12/22/04 01:08 AM
That is true, but I've had Ad-Aware SE catch things that Spybot-S&D hasn't. Plus, Ad-Aware doesn't always have those 5 items (can't remember what they are) that you can never get rid of (and probably shouldn't!)

I should point out that I'm talking about SE, not Ad-Aware 6 or earlier.

arstechnica had a good article comparing various spyware removal/scanning programs.

#73056 12/22/04 12:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
yeah i use both. 5 things are some dso exploits.

#73057 12/22/04 04:41 PM
Right.. which aren't exploits, they're the recent items lists! It just seems to me that they could set that to ignore those fairly easily, and they just haven't done it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup