Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone that knows about Fosgate/Rockford Subs?
#73780 12/28/04 04:48 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I'm new on this site... and pretty new in HT stuff.
I have a pair of M22ti's which are the starting point for my new HT/Stereo.
The next thing I'm looking for is the Sub: I was thinking about the EP350 or something as good, but I need it for Music/Movies. We're also moving to a new condo, which has living/dining/den all in an open space, sort of "L" Shape (The Long sides of the L are about 28' to 30' long and about 14' wide)... The kitchen is also open to this space.
I figure a nee a pretty decent size sub driver for the place.

I was at a pretty fancy stereo store today ("Stereos Unlimited in San Diego, CA) and they showed me a Sub made in Arizona by a company supposedly specialized in Subs for cars: Fosgate by Rockford. It has a 12" driver (firing down) with a 325 watt amplifier. It lloks pretty solid and according to the sales guy they were around $900, but he's getting rid of the las few ones for $500. (He also has a 10", going for $400).

Is there anyone that has idea about this brand and if they are comparable/suitable for what i need?

Re: Anyone that knows about Fosgate/Rockford Subs?
#73781 12/28/04 05:34 AM
local
local
I'll give you the brief middle-of-the-night answer and we'll see if you get a better answer tomorrow...
I've not heard of them and I have been hanging around here for several months. Also, they are not listed at www.audioreview.com so you can't get any info there (a fairly useful place). Most people here will tell you to go with SVS or Hsu because you can get some very good subs in that price range. I'll say the same about Velodyne. If I were you, I would try to compare it to some relatively known manufacturer of decent audio products that can be found in audio stores (Polk, Infinity, Velodyne, Definitive Technology, Klipsch just to name a few) and see what you think. That's how I stumbled on my Velodyne - it sounded way better than any of the other subs - unless I went to a $1200 Def Tech that sounded a little better but was out of my price range. If the Fosgate/Rockford sounds great, then buy it - but I'd be surprised if you'll get more for your money at a "fancy stereo store" than you will from SVS or Hsu.

#73782 12/28/04 06:08 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the help, and being so late at night.
This store had an HSU also... An SVT-2 or something (not so sure), and since it is the last one they have and will be considered as an "open box" they are giving it for a little less than $500... Does that sound interesting?
I looked at it, but didn't listen to any of the two yet (i had very little time)... The thing with HSU is that it looks sort of rough... I don't know if the boss (my wife) is going to accept something that looks like that for the new living room.

#73783 12/28/04 06:31 AM
local
local
Based on what I've read about the Hsu subs, I'd be surprised if the Fosgate can compete with it.

If you want to know if you are getting a good price on the Hsu, check out the website http://www.hsuresearch.com

#73784 12/28/04 06:44 AM
local
local
The wife issue was covered on another thread earlier today. The solution was to "sell the wife."
If you could get much for her, then the home theater budgetary issues would be much improved.

#73785 12/28/04 07:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>An SVT-2 or something (not so sure), and since it is the last one they have and will be considered as an "open box" they are giving it for a little less than $500... Does that sound interesting?

I imagine that's either an STF-2 or VTF-2. Sounds like an OK price but not great -- I think you can order new in box direct over the internet for the same price or lower.

Always try to get 2 subs, that way you can pass them off as end tables and get higher Wife Approval Factor (WAF). Helps with the bass too

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#73786 12/28/04 07:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
How did it look "rough"? Some older model Hsu's had a very rough, almost hard rubber finish to them, but those were all replaced about 2+ years ago with newer models.

The new models are a nice clean, simple black finish. They even have some models with Rosewood or Maple finishes, with piano black tops. Very nice looking indeed...certainly not "rough".

Bottom line though is that Hsu makes quite possibly the best sounding subwoofers for under $1000. I own a VTF-2, and have heard the STF-2, and VTF-3...all sound amazing.

If you're interested in the Hsu, the prices are much better if you buy direct from their website.

Good luck!

btw...if a company specializes in car subwoofers - STAT AWAY!

#73787 12/28/04 07:47 AM
local
local
"btw...if a company specializes in car subwoofers - STAT AWAY!"

But, you've got to love their company website:

"What you are > SUPERIOR
Envisioned as an engieering test bed, the Type RF amplifier platform provides Rockford Fosgate engineers with the perfect vehicle to explore cutting edge technologies."

and

"What you are > LOUD
The rules were simple ... there were no rules! From the first one horsepower 12-volt amplifier, to the legendary Power 1000, Rockford Fosgate Power Series amplifiers have not just broken the rules ... they have openly defied them."

and

"What you are > AGGRESSIVE
An American icon: Rockford Fosgate PUNCH amplifiers are the most popular amplifiers in the world. They represent sonic perfection and impressive power in a compact chassis that delivers a knock out PUNCH!"

So I guess if you envision yourself as SUPERIOR, LOUD, and AGGRESSIVE (and PROUD OF IT) then this is the speaker company for you. Apparently, their target audience is similar to the guy in Fast Times at Ridgemont High that wants the really big speakers...

#73788 12/28/04 07:50 AM
local
local
Oh yeah, welcome Ricardo.

#73789 12/28/04 06:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
errr...that was supposed to be "STAY AWAY!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 715 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup