Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Thinking about getting amp for fronts
#74309 01/05/05 04:55 AM
local
local
In reply to:

play the same song on a Yamaha, Denon, Sony followed by a B&K separate set up; the difference in sound for music is night and day, even though the same speakers were being used

Were they all in "direct stereo" mode? Were the speaker levels calibrated the same on each amp? Was the listening level the same?

It is actually quite painstaking to do a fair A/B test between amplifiers or speakers. For amps, you must ensure ALL DSP is disabled, and the listening level is the same.

Even simple DSP functions like digital time arrival could be calibrated differently between the amps, altering the sound. On amps with built-in EQ that can make a huge difference. Thus the easiest way is just disable it.

Even then there are differences in how MUCH is disabled in various amps "direct" or "pure direct" mode.

Imagine comparing a Yamaha receiver with EQ (which is well hidden in the menu system) to a non-EQ amp and attributing the sound difference to the amp brand when in reality it's the configuration.

The same with volume. It's well proven that people interpret the louder level as "better", even for small differences.

Getting all these things right is sufficiently laborious that I'll bet many people don't do it. And that's just for stereo. For comparing different amps in a 5.1 config, that's even more complex.

#74310 01/05/05 05:10 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This thread really took off. Ive thought about it more and more and i am going to stick with what i have.

#74311 01/05/05 06:41 AM
devotee
devotee
I agree Brit. I love my Yammie receiver, and all the previous Yammie, Denon, Pioneer, and HK receivers I have owned/used, but adding a quality amp from B&K, Rotel, Krell, Bryston, Parasound, and even Outlaw can make all the difference between weak midrange and harsh highs (that plagues all entry level to moderate priced receivers) to a smooth warm midrange and crystal clear highs that can only be had with high quality amps.

#74312 01/05/05 05:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
oachalon, it is time to cover your ears and chant, "I'm not listening, I can't hear you,..."

#74313 01/05/05 05:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"but adding a quality amp from B&K, Rotel, Krell, Bryston, Parasound, and even Outlaw can make all the difference between weak midrange and harsh highs (that plagues all entry level to moderate priced receivers) to a smooth warm midrange and crystal clear highs that can only be had with high quality amps."

MiniRock
If you would make the statement "IN MY OPINION" after or before saying things like that, it would be appreciated, and probably make for fewer unnecessary arguments.
After all, it is only an opinion. And everyone has one.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#74314 01/19/05 03:52 PM
R
local
local
R
Oach, take it from someone who has actually done what you have suggested.

I have a NAD T743 Receiver (50 watts). I bought two Outlaw Monoblocks for the fronts. Sound improvement (or difference) was quite easy to notice especially for movies. More dynamic and more full. My girlfriend noticed immediately and she had no idea what I was doing (so much for blind tests!). I know the science and math on decibels and watts and I don't really care. It sounded better at the same volume and this should be your reason for getting them. Do not get these because you want louder because the science is correct, it will not make your system that much louder. Athough, I don't know the specs on your Yamaha - just guessing.

The monoblocks are an inexpensive, modular solution. I believe they are comparable to products that cost a few hundred more.

That said, I just bought a stereo tube amp and I'm thinking of selling the monoblocks for extra cash for a new player. This is not a sales pitch. I'm actually thinking of getting one for the center channel also.

And if the presumptuous people have anything to say about that I have one message: get over it. Its a hobby and I can easily afford it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup