Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Paradigm Studio 100 vs. Axioms
#74842 01/05/05 06:48 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Here's a question for the gurus.

I was originally floored by Paradigm Studio 100s a couple of years ago for HT but got swayed by this board and got Axioms. Budget was also of some concern at the time. My setup is M22s, VP150, QS8s and HSU VTF-2 sub. The receiver is HK-525. This used to be my main system with 61" Samsung DLP in the living room. I am quite happy with the system but there has always been this nagging doubt that I may have compromised.

Now we moved into a new house and have a dedicated HT room in the basement. Budget is also less of an issue (within reason) now. I am getting a front projection with 126" screen. I considered shifting the original audio system from the family room and leave the TV alone upstairs but it did not seem right to leave such a beautiful TV without any support in audio. So, I am in market for a new system. This time, I am thinking of going the Paradigm route.

My question is this: Which of the two systems is better IF COST DIFFERENCE IS NOT A FACTOR?

1. Axiom M80s, VP150, QS8s, SVS sub/Servo 15
2. Paradigm Studio 100s, CC570, ADP470s, Servo 15 sub.

Both systems will use Denon 3805 and 3910/2910. If you were to do a blinded audition, which would sound better?

Actually, the cost difference may not be all that much if I drive to Canada and get them. I originally checked out the prices from a guy in Toronto and you can get Paradigms pretty cheap. Of course, I was Detroit then. Now I am in Cincinnati and that is a longer drive...

Thanks for all the input.

Ravi

Re: Paradigm Studio 100 vs. Axioms
#74843 01/05/05 07:21 PM
veteran
veteran
you will likely get 20 different answers to this question, ultimately the decision of which is better can only be determined by you.

my advice, audition both and make an informed decision.

there is no way anyone can decide which will sound better to your ears.

#74844 01/05/05 08:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Ravi! I remember the photos of your 61" Sammy and your Axioms you posted. It was a very lovely setup. I used to link to your photos whenever anyone asked about that particular finish. I think it was beech, but it might've been maple. It was one of the lighter finishes, IIRC.

I'm not gonna be much help because I've no experience with the Studio 100s. But, I just wanted to say hello, welcome back, and welcome to the buckeye state.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#74845 01/05/05 10:45 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks, Jack. Yeah, they were beech and I think the setup is still on hall of fame page. The setup is pretty much the same in this house too.

About comparing the two directly, I heard the Studio 100s today and they sounded very good. In fact they were more open sounding than my m22s but that may not be a fair comparison. I remember thinking at one time that they both sounded very similar.

Jeff, it is true that the best test is with your own ears, but remember I bought the axioms without listening to them and I am quite happy with them. Let's see what others have to say.

Ravi

#74846 01/05/05 10:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ravi, read the last paragragh in this post by Alan.

If Alan is correct, the 100s should sound very much like the 80s, and your decision is a win/win one. Go with whatever fits your tastes and wallet.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#74847 01/05/05 11:18 PM
local
local
I had M22s, VP100, QS8 and Hsu STF-2 around my Samsun 50" DLP. I upgraded to M60s, VP150, QS8 and Hsu VTF=3R. It was a significant improvement, although the 1st config was very good.

My main suggestion is consider the Axiom EP500 or EP600 sub. It would save you a lot of money over the Paradigm Servo 15. Plus the color would match the other Axiom speakers.

#74848 01/05/05 11:29 PM
veteran
veteran
I can offer my 2 cents.

In my comparisons of paradigm to axiom I absolutely love the rich sound of the paradigms. For me there is a complete difference in sound which I favor.

I have tried many axiom speakers, the 22's, the 3's the 60's, the vp150, the qs8's. The only ones I kept were the m60's.

I recently was using the m3's as my rears but I had wanted to bring home the paradigm mini monitors to audition in my home, I knew they sounded incredible in the store but things sometimes change in ones home.

Well to make a long story short I purchased them this week and couldn’t be happier with the sound. I actually shut off my front m60's to listen to some David Benoit today because the mini's produce the piano so clean and true.

I have been making the transition slowly to paradigm, as you can see in my sig im down to only the m60's, I think its just a matter of time before the monitor 11's reside here also.

I don’t want to take anything away from the axioms, they are a great speaker, but as I said before its all in the ear of the beholder.

#74849 01/05/05 11:30 PM
devotee
devotee
It has been discussed many times that the M60 and M80 are very similar sounding speakers to the Studio 100. In fact, when someone cannot do an audition of Axiom speakers, it is often recommended to them to try out the Studio series.

You have been auditioning the 5 driver Studio 100 against the 3 driver M22 bookshelf? That does not quite seem fair.

Price not a factor? Price is always a factor. You could buy multiple M80's for the price of a Studio 100.

#74850 01/06/05 02:15 AM
local
local
I think I might be able to add some good input. My friend has owned a Paradigm system (Studio 100's, ADP's, CC570). I have heard his system countless times as we were neighbors for 5 years. I now own M60's, VP150, and QS8's.

Much like yourself, I was floored when I first heard his system. It is basically what got me interested in home theater. To be honest, if I could have afforded Paradigm Reference, I would have never done any research on my own and just bought a Paradigm Reference system from a local dealer. However, I could not afford them nor did I want to pay that kind of money for a home theater. Hence, two plus years ago I began my own quest that ultimately led to my purchasing an Axiom system. On to my thoughts.....

Without any AB comparison, and only judging by my own ears, I find the Studio 100's to have a slight edge over the M60's. The most notable difference between the two is that the Studio's seem to emphasize the mid-bass region a little while the M60's remain more accurate. Overall they are very close sounding. For some reason, I never thought much of the ADP surrounds. I have always believed they are the weak link in the series. I easily prefer the QS8's over the ADP's....to my ears they just do everything better. As far as the center channel, they are again very close but I think the CC570 is marginally better. Vocals seem to be on par with one another, but the CC570 seemed to have more punch on DVD's.

One thing to consider is that my buddy's Paradigms are hooked up to some serious gear....much,much better than mine and 3 times the power. I have a 80/w channel NAD T752 and a bottom-feeding Toshiba DVD player. He has 3 2-channel Carver Research amps at 300w/channel, a Lexicon MC12B which is always set to Logic 7 for movies, and top of the line CD & DVD players. The differences in our gear is substantial and it is conceivable that it attributed at least to some degree to what I heard and therefore how I formed my opinions.

It would be interesting to see how the two systems compared if I was able to hook my Axioms up to his gear. It would certainly level the playing field. Maybe I should give him a call and see if he would do that some time?

#74851 01/06/05 02:36 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
My 2 cents... speakers were heard years apart.

I was not impressed with the Studio 100s (v2s, I think) when I heard them several years ago. I was far more impressed with the M22s when I heard them a couple years later. Now, the room I was in may not have been ideal (probably wasn't), and audio memory is extremely untrustworthy (see my M22/M50 comparison). Also, shortly after hearing the 100s, I heard top of the line Revel speakers. That kind of blew everything out of the water...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup