Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: NAD T752 clipped - Is There A Problem?
#75014 01/06/05 04:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
do you use the soft clipping mode on your nad?im not sure exactly how it works but it is supposed to help(and i stress the word HELP) protect your speakers from damage when you run it at higher levels,especially the tweeters

#75015 01/07/05 03:07 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Yes, it makes sense that if I turn the sub on and set the crossover to 40z that I will lose all bass below 40hz since I am not using a sub.

What puzzles me is what is supposed to happen when the sub is set to 'Off' and a speaker (whether it be mains, center, surrounds, a combination thereof, or all) is set to small. In this scenario what dictates the crossover point for any speaker set to small? I am guessing most lower to mid-range receivers use a fixed crossover point? Perhaps if I had a more expensiver receiver/sound processor, I would be able to individually control the point at which my center and surrounds are crossed when they are set to small? I am only guessing at this point.

In any event, I tried the same DVD explosion scene at +5 with the mains set to large and the center and surrounds set to small (subwoofer off) and it did not clip.

To be honest, I prefer the sound of everything set to large (more bass sent to center and surrounds) and may use this setting for normal listening. I suppose if I ever want to show off my system by cranking some reference scene, I should probably set the center and surrounds back to small while I do that. Ummm...not that I ever plan on showing off at all...um...er..(clears throat).

I am having two guys over from work sometime next week. One owns a PSB Image series system and the other is saving up for a Def Tech system. Both are rather curious to hear Axioms. Even though they sound amazing right now, I will be sure to get them exactly dialed in with a sound meter....I have yet to do that.

#75016 01/07/05 05:20 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>What puzzles me is what is supposed to happen when the sub is set to 'Off' and a speaker (whether it be mains, center, surrounds, a combination thereof, or all) is set to small. In this scenario what dictates the crossover point for any speaker set to small?

If Sub is set to Off, Mains are set to Large, and anything else is set to Small the bass from the Small speakers will normally be fed to the mains. HK is the exception here, it only feeds bass from center & surrounds to Sub.

If Sub is set to On, of course, all the bass gets sent to the sub instead.

Most receivers let you set the crossover frequency from a short list of preset values (eg. 60, 80, 100, 120, 160, 200) but you have to use the same crossover frequency for mains, center and surrounds. Again the HK is an exception, it lets you pick different crossover frequencies for each speaker set.

>>To be honest, I prefer the sound of everything set to large (more bass sent to center and surrounds) and may use this setting for normal listening. I suppose if I ever want to show off my system by cranking some reference scene, I should probably set the center and surrounds back to small while I do that. Ummm...not that I ever plan on showing off at all...um...er..(clears throat).

I think we all strongly recommend setting everything to large and turning the volume down a bit if needed. If you want to show off, have your buddy with the PSB system bring his sub and you buy the beer.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cork, chapin99), 316 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup