Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: what do you guys think of THX certs.
#7540 01/07/03 05:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Although my computer is near state of the art with RDRAM, RAID 0, 7200 rpm drives, 140mhz bus speed overclocked.

*eek*

I hope you backup often...

In reply to:

And I feel by getting THX I should have a minimum decent starting point. And I agree with Avi Greengart on this quote, "You may not agree with parts of the THX philosophy, or you may simply consider the THX logo, certification, and processing a poor value for the added cost (all licensing programs add to the cost of the product). There are undoubtedly a lot of products out there that equal or exceed the quality of their THX-certified competitors. Still, when you use THX-certified speakers with THX-certified processors, a lot of the interaction guesswork has been taken care of for you, and that can have a significant impact on the quality of your system. If you have the budget, go for it."

Then why aren't you looking at THX certified speakers? If you're willing to consider the potential of fabulous companies not willing to pay Lucas for his stamp of approval on speakers, why not extend the same consideration to receivers and DVD players?

I'm not saying THX is useless or crap. I just don't think it's should be used as THE measuring stick by anyone invested enough in the hobby to spend time researching components on an A/V bulletin board. However, clearly, you are exactly the kind of person THX was intended for. You want the reasurance it offers so more power to you. I don't mean to belittle your opinion at all, if that's how you're interpreting it. I just think everyone should be well educated on exactly what THX entails and what other options exist. That's the great thing about this hobby. It's totally subjective and will pay back to you in enjoyment exactly how much energy you put into it. You don't need to simply believe Lucas's staff.

I highly recommend you audition all the components that interest you, regardless of their certification, and determine if Lucas's opinion of what makes an enjoyable movie experience is the same as yours.

#7541 01/07/03 06:20 PM
veteran
veteran
Dantana,

When I started researching on what home theater system components I wanted to have, I thought that my speakers and receivers must have THX certification to ensure minimum quality requirements. I specifically omitted from my list those that did not have the certification. Then I visited several audio shops and listened to certified speakers and certified receivers. I became confused because I heard non THX certified Paradigms sound better than THX certified M&K. I was also able to listen to very impressive THX speakers but their prices are way beyond my budget. As I continue my research, I found out that it is true that THX certification will guarantee you a minimum performance requirements but there are a lot of other manufacturers whose products will surpass such minimum requirements and not charge you for the certification that are not really necessary for people like you and all of us in this forum who research and evaluate the dollars we spend on our equipment. In the final analysis, if you happen to like the THX certified speakers and receivers that you auditioned, go for it: this is your equipment and your money.

Since you can talk about computers, I would compare this with the "intel inside" advertisement. Sure, intel pentium is good but have you compared it with the price and performance of AMD athlon? My point is: with research you do not have to pay THX fee to get a system cheaper and better performing than THX certified speakers and receivers.

As for George Lucas, you know how capable he is in making money on his projects. After more than a decade we are still anxious to see Star Wars part 3 to enlighten us on things that happened in 4,5 and 6.

#7542 01/07/03 06:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Semi, I do not disagree with your final decision must be done with your ears. It's just that like many of us consumers that must weed out literally thousands of products, we need some sort of "standard" to at least go by for some minimum of quality assurance. I could easily go out and buy a $300.00 receiver that sounds decent but doesn't do HT well, which will be about 75% of my listening. You yourself said that if THX were free to get, then every cheap receiver would have it. As far as THX speakers go, I can't afford $3500.00 M&K's at the moment, but I know speakers are the most important part of the sound system, and my ears will be the final judge. Or at least the advice of much more knowledgeable users or reviewers than myself. That is how I found out about Axiom in the first place. However, I know I don't want to be shortchanged later if I happen to put in a movie and my receiver doesn't encode it properly. I just think that like Greenart said, with THX I should be at least assured some measure of protection in that area. I will in the end let my ears be the judge, but I also want to know my receiver is at least capable of all modern formats. But, admittely I am not very knowledgeable about all these new features out today. NEO:6, PLII, DTS-EX, I'm not even sure I know what these do...lol. But I don't want to be sitting later wishing I spent an extra $50-100 now to get it. I do have a question though for you Semi or any one else that knows. I notice these features prevalent on THX receivers :
- THX Adaptive Decorrelation
- THX Bass Peak Level Management
- THX Front-Channel Re-Equalization
- THX Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization
- THX Select Certification
- THX Subwoofer Crossover
- THX Surround EX
- THX Timbre-Matching
Are these features I could find on a non-THX receiver for comparable money? I imagine THX finds them necessary for HT otherwise they wouldn't mention them. But I am trying to educate myself about it before I make my final decision. At least the best I can since THX is still a "secret" technology, they will not post the requirements publically.

#7543 01/07/03 09:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
With the exception of Select Certification and Surround EX, those are all features that let you tune the sound. My receiver (Ultra certified) has them but you can get them (without the THX name correlation...) in many receivers. Whether or not you need them is dependent upon how close to ideal your room is and how precise your ears are. I wouldn't be surprised to find these features lacking in low end models from Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc, but I would expect them in Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Outlaw, Onkyo, etc.

A quick google search on each would probably give you more detailed info than I can list off here but I'll sumarize where I can.

THX Adaptive Decorrelation - attempts to break out specific sounds from mono signals to fake a surround effect.

THX Bass Peak Level Management - Prevents high bass peaks from shooting into your subwoofer and frying it.

THX Front-Channel Re-Equalization - THX claims this results in "smoother high frequency response". I've never been able to determine what exactly that means but it sounds an aweful lot like lowing the gain on high frequency signals to prevent sharp, high tone noises from screaming through your room. Some might hear that and find it more appealing. I prefer to trust the director to present sounds for the effect they want and I assume most here agree or they wouldn't be buyin typically VERY accurate Axioms.

THX Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization - This institutes a tiny (probably imperceptible to most people in most rooms) delay in order to ensure all sounds reach your ear simultaneously.

THX Select Certification - supposed measure of quality.

THX Subwoofer Crossover - adjustible sound filter for LFE channel.

THX Surround EX - Some Dolby Digital signals have a rear channel matrixed into the right and left surround channels. If you have a 6.1 receiver, it will pull this out and move it to the rear. Non-THX receivers do this as well, just possibly through Dolby's algorithm instead of THX's. The mixer encodes with Dolby's algorithm in mind.

THX Timbre-Matching - attempts to match the front speakers to the center. Assuming you're buying voice-matched speakers for your HT in the first place, this should be a non-issue.

Some of these features may be important in your placement, some of them may not. Whether you need them is best left to you to decide. I doubt most consumers shopping for a low end receiver (I consider anything sold in BB or CC low end) are pairing it with equipment nice enough and are being careful enough with their placement to actually hear what differences they make. If you want them, look for them.

If you want to know about the various sound formats (DTS, DD, Neo:6, DPLII, etc), start another thread on the subject and I'll answer there as it's a bit outside the scope of this thread.

Regards,
Semi

#7544 01/07/03 10:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A very well spoken set of words there Semi.
I would tend to agree with that opinion.

That's all i really had to say.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7545 01/07/03 10:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
So the big question still remains:

Is THX certification the equivalent of a "Krusty the Clown certified product", or does the THXcert really make for a better product?

Standards can certainly be helpful for an industry to keep from having multiple formats for common electronics (vhs vs. beta, dvda vs sacd, etc.) and they can raise the bar for acceptable quality but only IF they really are stringent tests.

Personally, when i went researching and shopping for a receiver early last year, THX cert meant absolutely squat to me. I read through many many a/v receiver reviews, auditioned a couple, took some advice from local friends and experts, read over specs, looked at prices and then made a choice (Onkyo DS797).
Today however, i know that my receiver does have a THX cert (select i believe) and i STILL don't know what that says about my receiver.
Perhaps its just me, but after owning a receiver for 8 months, i haven't even bothered to take the time to see what/how my Onkyo is certified for under THX. However i have had the time to post over 400 messages on these forums.
Its all crazyness.

Dantana, sorry to hear about the house thing. That's a rea b_tch.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#7546 01/08/03 04:37 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I see three major problems with using THX as a standard for judging A/V equipment quality.

1) The difference between slight changes in component quality can result in small performance (read: better sound) improvements. There are so many variables involved that you'd really have to have a dizzying number of quality "levels" to use anything objective as a single litmus test.

2) The THX "vision" of what makes good sound is merely one group of individuals' preference. This hobby is inherently subjective meaning the THX vision may conflict with your own. An example of this would be direct versus multi-polar speakers. THX believes surrounds should not be direct radianting. I know plenty of people that prefer the sound of direct radiating surrounds... Relying on one group's definition would merely help to eliminate the variability that makes it all so fun.

3) The qualities required to meet THX specification are largely closed and certainly not open for debate. At the very least, you'd need an open governing body with representatives from all the major manufacturers, artists, studios, engineers, etc. along with open classification.

None of these will ever be resolved, so I suggest you buy what sounds good to you.

Regards,
Semi

#7547 01/08/03 02:29 PM
veteran
veteran
First I'd like to thank everyone for making me more aware to what exactly THX means. As I feel I am a newbie again at this, THX seemed like the way to go. Now I realize that it isn't necessary to have it to enjoy a good HT experience. I had crossed Yamaha off my books entirely because of no THX support in any of their products, but now I am looking at them again. I do think like cheseroo said, that standards are necessary. We wouldn't have an internet if there were 50 versions of TCP/IP around. I do believe that in 1977 when King George first started this, that it has revolutionized the industry to some degree. Now, we can all experience this same sound in the comfort of our homes. I think like anything else, THX will evolve and change, and the consumers can expect to spend big $$$ to keep up with it. But in the end, I agree Semi, let your ears be the judge, and after shooting competition for about 6 years, mine are shot....lol. I hope that future THX standards become publicized and more stringent, so that the public knows what they are getting. Not just be awed by that little logo on the front panel, not even sure of what it does.

#7548 01/12/03 11:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Found this post on avsforums about THX RE-EQ I thought it was interesting.
"With regards to Re-Eq, movie soundtracks are mixed "hot" in the upper frequencies to account for what is known in the industry as the X-Curve. The X-Curve is defined in ISO Bulletin 2969 as pink noise that is flat to 2khz and dropping 3db per octave as measured from 2/3rds of the way back in the theater. Because of the difference in size between the movie theater and the average livingroom, such a soundtrack would be perceived as being excessively bright. THX's Re-Eq flattens out the response curve for proper playback in the home. So, without Re-Eq, it wouldn't be "as the director intended" in the home environment."

#7549 01/13/03 06:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Good find. I think that assumes that the audio track was merely ported over and not re-mixed, but it's good to know regardless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters