Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
speaker/listening position
#75695 01/09/05 02:39 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey, I just wanted to offer my 1/2 cent on something. I've had my m60s for almost 4 weeks now. I keep playing around with different things, and last night I made some pretty great improvements by re-positioning things for the millionth time. The biggest improvement came by moving my listening chair quite a bit closer to the speakers. I even got out the tape measure to make sure my ear position makes an equilateral triangle with the speakers. This also puts me further away from the wall behind me. I noticed a great improvement in imaging and clarity.

Anyway, I just thought this might help someone out there. If you're not fully satisfied with the sound of your new speakers, just keep moving things around. After almost 4 weeks, I'm still discovering how great these speakers can sound!

Re: speaker/listening position
#75696 01/09/05 02:51 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
It's amazing what things like that will do. It has taking me about 2 weeks to realize that my cross over setting on my sub was too high.

Josh Turney- EP350,VP100,M22ti mains,QS4 surrounds,M3Ti rear surrounds
#75697 01/09/05 04:33 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
It's fun to experiment with this stuff, eh?

The closer you are to the speaker and the further away from the walls (and the listener also) they are, the less you're going to have smearing (this is a huge problem with center channel speakers, IMO) of the image/detail caused by reflections from walls/celings/ET center/TVs etc. IMO, speakers are only as good as the room will let them be.

The ideal speaker placement for my room is not the best for decor. So I just move them back out of the way when not listening to them and I've marked the ideal speaker position with a small piece of clear tape on the carpet so that I can find that position without measuring again.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#75698 01/09/05 05:38 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
You're not kidding about the decor thing! :-) I'm about to experiment with my speakers on the short wall of my living room, which will look totally awful, but might sound infinitely better. I can get the speakers even further from the back wall this way.

I also find the closer I get to the speakers, the more intimate the performance, especially on tracks where there aren't many instruments (ie: Beatles "Yesterday"). So, on some tracks I like to move in a little, while on others I move back out a little... a jump to the left; a step to the right...

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044