Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My Audition of M60s
#75778 01/10/05 06:46 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well, I've bothered most of you enough already with my questions. It’s time I simply post to share my experience regarding Axiom.

I finally took the time and auditioned a pair of M60s at a local Axiom owner’s home. The owner had the entire Epic 60 Home Theater system—with the exception of a different sub. Since I don't have approval to describe the owner’s configuration, nor share his name yet, I will spare you from setup detail.

My impressions:

I sampled many songs in about 30 minutes. We listened to:
Sting, Ten Summoner’s Tales, Fields of Gold
Peter Gabriel, So, In your Eyes
Rush, Moving Pictures, Tom Sawyer
Harry Connick, various tracks
Eric Clapton, various tracks
Ellis Marsalis, Heart of Gold, Dr. Jazz
James Newton Howard & Friends, Caesar, Tandoori, & Slippin’ Away II.

I was very impressed with the speakers ability to adequately control the “S” that sting is know for producing. Many cheaper systems will over extend the “s” he sings, and make it sound horrible. Not the M60s. They held that range perfectly.

The speaker’s ability to play Tom Sawyer without giving in—to the point that my ears began to hurt (not good) was amazing. Don’t confuse this with listening fatigue; I simply had it up too loud, to see if they would give in. Nope. No base fading, no loss of mid range. Excellent response; equally excellent reproduction of an excellent song.

Eric Clapton’s live CD was a great way for me to hear the M60s ability to reproduce such a wide range of sound, that was originally intended to be heard—but often not replicated—on lesser systems. Eric’s toe tapping was a tight, hard thud that never distorted; his fingers playing up and down the neck of the guitar was as clear as I’ve ever heard. Flawless.

Ellis Marsalis’ piano was tight, clear and not too forward to be bothersome. I really enjoyed the overall ability the speaker had to simply play the music like it was recorded. Heart of Gold’s Dr. Jazz really proved to me the speaker was designed to do just that, represent the artist like the performer intended to be. Clear, not too bright, nor mellow, just clear piano, bass that didn’t boom, and crisp drums to carry the rhythm.

Overall I was extremely impressed with the speaker’s clarity of the human voice, crisp highs and extremely tight and precise lows. The mids were right on.

I have to admit, I thought the speakers were a bit too much for the room; I wanted to sit even further away from them. I believe we were about 6 feed back. I would have like to be 8 to 12 feet, but that is just personal preference.

My only complaint was that I came away being a bit worried that the 60s might not have as much high-end as I like. That, again, is a personal preference. Also, the room was very sound absorbing, so I’m confident the environment contributed much to that. Not too many hard surfaces for reflection of the higher frequencies. It did make me want to ask Axiom’s if getting 80s instead of 60s would give me a bit more strength in the higher frequencies, since there is an additional tweeter AND the tweeters are a few inches closer to the human ear. I suppose that is for Alan to respond to.

I should add that the owner then decided to give me a sample of the full surround system. All I want to say is while watching a real lively few minutes of a show, it actually got my adrenalin flowing; I was even a bit scared. The sound was so realistic and true to life that I felt my heart race. This is coming from someone who doesn’t get scared easily. I supposed its cause I don’t have such a Hi-Fi surround system at home, so I’m not desensitized to such video. WOW, it was amazing. It made me think that perhaps I should buy the entire setup and not just the fronts…..no surprise…

To date, I’ve listened to the following speakers (in order of MY preference):

B&W’s Nautilus 800s;
Sonus Faber’s Stradivarius Speakers
B&W Nautilus 805s;
B&W 703 and 704
KEF Q7 with KEF PSW2150
B&W 603 S3
Klipsch – Synergy III
JBL - Northridge 3

Overall, I’d say the Axiom’s sit somewhere between the B&W 700s and the 800s. It’s hard to place them, since all are so different. But it is safe to say the M60s are not as impressive as the Nautilus 800s (no surprise, since the Nautilus 800s are probably the best there is out there) but were more clear and bright—to me—than the 703s, but just a bit under the 704s in that category. They were far better than the KEFs, B&W 603s, Klipsch and JBLs. All simply my listenting opinions, of course.

Re: My Audition of M60s
#75779 01/10/05 07:02 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Nice Review, thanks.

"My only complaint was that I came away being a bit worried that the 60s might not have as much high-end as I like."

Interesting comment, as the few negative comments I have ever read about the Axioms, is that some users say that they are "bright". Axiom counter claims that they are "Accurate" not "bright".

If I had the money to buy a top of the line B&W HT system, without worrying about finances, I would, because, in addition to having a great sound, B&W speakers are a work of art too.

But, if cost if a factor, . . . . . . well, you decide.

Thanks again for the review!

#75780 01/10/05 07:12 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
well thanks for letting us know what you think about the M60's. its always good to hear when someone has a great listening experience. i am surprised to read that you were worried that the M60's might not have enough high-end for you. the axioms are often described as 'bright' or 'forward', so its weird to have someone say that they might have been lacking.. but, as you mentioned several times, that is your opinion. we are all different, and have different preferences.

i appreciate your honest and informative review. i hope you are able to find the speakers that suit your needs, and please let us know what you decide on. BTW- they really can rock a movie cant they? i still smile everytime i crank them up for a good movie. watched jurassic park this weekend just for kicks.. awesome!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#75781 01/10/05 11:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Always great to hear peoples thoughts Axioms. Let us know what you finally decide upon.

#75782 01/10/05 11:52 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Excellent. You've heard them, touched them and have many pictures of them. Now you can make an informed decision and base it enirely on fact. Always a good place to be. Those are a handsome set of choices to pick from - can't make a mistake with any of them. Plus, your wife is available to help you understand what your opinion is.

BTW - very nice review.

#75783 01/10/05 11:53 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I certainly will. In detail, I'm sure.

#75784 01/21/05 05:31 AM
old hand
old hand
Just came across this thread, the audition having been at my place. As for listening distance:

In reply to:

"I have to admit, I thought the speakers were a bit too much for the room; I wanted to sit even further away from them. I believe we were about 6 feed back. I would have like to be 8 to 12 feet, but that is just personal preference. "

I think we mostly sat on the coffee table, which is about seven feet back from the speakers. The couch is about eleven feet away and probably would have been a better spot to listen from, though not as good for all the CD switching.

The surround sound was from the initial battle scene in Master and Commander. If you had a bit more time, I would have played the car crash scene from Adaptation (talk about scaring the crap out of someone!), and perhaps the helicopter scene from the Matrix (can really feel those LFE's from the sub!).

#75785 01/21/05 10:11 AM
T
regular
regular
T
TK can you specifically compare these tothe synergy III? I have narrowed my choice for home theater down to the axiom epic 60 series with the larger center channel and the synergy III series that best buy currently has? What are your feelings on the two?

#75786 01/21/05 05:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Tarzanboy, welcome.

TK already said of the M60's
In reply to:

They were far better than the KEFs, B&W 603s, Klipsch and JBLs

I was sorely tempted by Klipsch before getting my M60's, due in large part to having owned a wonderful (for the time) pair of Klipsch speakers many years ago. I auditioned both the Synergy and Reference series in the store, but ultimately decided that, to my ear, the high end was kind of rough.

I am very satisfied with the M60's, and feel confident that they present a much smoother, larger and more articulate soundstage than the Klipsch products I listened to. Your ears, room and listening habits may reach a different conclusion.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#75787 01/22/05 03:33 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Tarazanboy:

It would be nice to do a side-by-side comparison. I should mention that when I auditioned the Klipsch, I was not happy with the horn sound (personal preference) and their bass was rather sloppy. Again, just personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters