Print Thread
Rate Thread
DVD-Audio
#7646 01/03/03 07:28 PM
PhilK Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I am a little confused about DVD-Audio. Does a typical DVD Audio player contain all the decoding technology necessary to play a DVD audio disc or does the receiver have to play a special role beyond the standard connections. For instance, does the receiver need a DVD-Audio decoder? Does the 6 channel input connections on my Yamaha RXV630 play into this at all, etc? Can I also assume that my Axiom speaker set-up will work fine with DVD-Audio? Thanks

Phil Kane

Re: DVD-Audio
#7647 01/03/03 07:37 PM
old hand
old hand
At this point all DVD-Audio players decode the DVD-Audio signal and pass it out via 6 analog connections (5.1) Recently they have agreed on a standard to use FireWire to pass the digital signal you your receiver, but that will require all new receivers and players.

So, yes you connect the 5.1 outpout of the DVD-A player to the 6 channel input on your receiver and sit back and listen to GREAT sound. (If you like classical/jazz music AIX Records has some great DVD-A discs, which also play on DVD-Video players)

As for the speakers, I have M60s, VP150, and QS8s and it sounds great. The DVD-Audio spec says all 5 speakers should be full range and identical. In addition the speakers should be placed differently than for HT. (Mainly the back speakers)

Michael

#7648 01/03/03 08:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Does a typical DVD Audio player contain all the decoding technology necessary to play a DVD audio disc or does the receiver have to play a special role beyond the standard connections.

All current DVD-A players have a decoder for one simple reason. SPDIF does not have the bandwidth to carry six channels of audio in 24/96 which all the channels are in DVD-A. As such, the player has to decode the signal and output each channel independently via PCM connections. This will be replaced or added to by IEEE 1394 eventually, but not at the moment and I do believe it will include DRM bullshit to prevent you from doing as you please with this signal.

In reply to:

For instance, does the receiver need a DVD-Audio decoder?

No. It just needs to be able to take the individual inputs, amplify them and output them to speakers.

In reply to:

Does the 6 channel input connections on my Yamaha RXV630 play into this at all, etc?

Not having the receiver's data in front of me, I would assume you and I are talking about the same thing in which case yes. You would connect your player to those inputs which would then get amplified and outputed to your speakers.

In reply to:

Can I also assume that my Axiom speaker set-up will work fine with DVD-Audio?

I have no idea what your setup is.

Regards,
Semi

#7649 01/04/03 01:29 AM
A
buff
buff
A
Hey Philk, this is off topic but I thought I'd ask. Before buying your rx-v630 did you demo any other receivers? I'm about to purchase a new receiver and wanted to get any of your feedback. I'm primarily trying to decide whether or not I should save some money and get the 630 or spend a little more for the 1300, did you happen to compare these two units in terms of sound quality? Also, since we both have axiom speakers, can you comment on how your 630 sounds with your axioms? Thanks.

-Brian

Oops, My Axiom Speaker Set-up
#7650 01/04/03 04:35 AM
PhilK Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I have a pair of M22s for the mains, an additional M22 for the center channel, a pair of QS8s for surround and an HSU Research VTF-3. I have an AR satellite being used for the rear speaker, soon to be replaced by either another M22 or another QS8.

Thanks Gentlemen
#7651 01/04/03 05:18 AM
PhilK Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Michael and Semi, thanks so much for your responses. Now I'll just have to start saving my pennies to get me one of them there new fangled DVD-A machines.

Phil

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters