Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Asking for ANY help with Denon Receiver...
#77116 01/15/05 05:25 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
OK, Guys (and Ladies!), I have to ask for some help with my Denon 3805 Receiver and I feel guilty about it….because I haven't exhausted all of my options yet. I feel like 3-4 hours uninterrupted with the manual and/or a manual reset or rewiring may help, but I just can't seem to find the uninterrupted time of late, and this is becoming a very big thorn in my side because I keep feeling like I must be missing something.

My receiver seems to "lose" the ability to recognize Dolby Digital Sources.

When I first purchased/set up the receiver, everything was fine with Dolby Digital (hereafter, DD) sources from DVD. When I got a high-def cable box, I delighted in watching the receivers' display "switch" from PL IIX to DD when the splash screen came on the TV with the Voiceover and graphic "This program Presented in Dolby Digital 5.1".

At some point, the switch did not happen anymore. I'm not sure exactly at what point, but I believe it was around the time I started exploring different surround modes….i.e., Pro Logic IIX Music with music sources, Pro Logic IIX Cinema with a movie or TV etc. I was doing this with my MX-700 remote, which is currently NOT programmed for my Denon 3805, but rather with a code that Ray graciously provided that I believe is from an older Denon receiver. Is there any possibility that I'm somehow switching the receiver into some mode with the old code that, because the code IS old, won't let me switch back?

A couple of weeks ago, I took the system apart to move into a new home in the closet… (photos/report to come soon, I swear!) and magically, the receiver was once again recognizing DD sources and switching to them automatically. Again, a few days later I experimented with the surround parameter via remote and front panel, and realize after again that it won't recognize DD. (Unfortunately, I didn't make the connection till afterwards that changing these parameters is likely the culprit or I may have avoided it. Then again, I don't want to NOT be able to explore surround options for different sources/programming!).

I spent two hours this morning in menus, etc. to try to nail this down before writing my big, promised post and I just can't figure out what's going on. The cable box is correctly hooked up to a digital coax input on the Denon and I haven't changed it. The Denon menu is set to allow "auto selection" for Dolby sources, though I've tried it in the off position as well. I've tried a wide variety of programming to ensure that I just didn't coincidentally have it on a non-DD source. I've hit and explored every button on the front panel related to setup and surround.

Again, I feel guilty for posting this because I know I should read the manual, but I'm telling you, there are many, many pages involving surround parameters and "what can be used under what circumstances, etc…". I will sit down and read the manual thoroughly as soon as I can, but I have to believe I'm missing something obvious considering I've been through all the menu options, etc.

I anybody familiar with a quirk in the 3805 or something obvious that I'm missing? I just can't take a half day to rewire/reset/study the multitude of charts in the manual /reprogram my remote or a full day to do all of the above anytime soon…..

I really like to exhaust every possible option before asking for help here, but I'm ashamedly bowing my head and saying that this one is winning and I'm pulling my hair out.

Any thoughts AT ALL?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Asking for ANY help with Denon Receiver...
#77117 01/15/05 07:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Where's Ray when you need him. He's the Denon guy. I'm at a loss, Mark.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#77118 01/15/05 08:02 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

Where's Ray when you need him.

I dunno.

The game doesn't start for another hour!

#77119 01/15/05 08:33 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Boy, I take an hour to run errands and you wrap yourself around the axle.

Hmmmm (thinking cap on). First of all, the MX-700 commands in the file I provided aren't new or old, they are the codes that Denon uses for all of their receivers. I'm not having issues with them on my 3803, so you shouldn't either. Also - clearly, what you are describing is not a cabling/connection issue since it only happens when you fool around with the 700 file.

Where does that leave us? The 3803 & 3805 have a Mode function and that allows the receiver to do all the sensing and reporting you describe as the sources change. I have mine set an Auto, it sounds like you have yours set on Auto as well, until you do something to change it, probably via the remote.

Here's the bad news - you will need to get into the manual to resolve this. Start with looking for the information on the Auto Mode setting and see if you can get it reset using the Denon remote or the controls on the face of the 3805. I believe it will be a simple turn of a knob or command from the 3805 remote. It really should be that simple. Also, take a look at the section of the manual titled "Troubleshooting".

Next, understand the risk of simply using the file/commands I sent you. I know what they are for and what the labels mean. Since you haven't spent any meaningful time in the MX-700 programming manual or the Denon manual, you may be making some assumptions about the commands/labels in the 700 file I sent and shooting yourself in the foot.

If I were you, I would use the 3805 remote for the time being. When you finally sit down and focus on the 700 and it's documentation, you can build a file for the 3805 specific to your personal needs. The David Gray file I sent you will support that easily and I will be happy to help you.

Finally, both the 3805 and MX-700 are feature-rich and powerful pieces of equipment with considerable detail to understand. You should really set aside the time to master these guys - they are at the core of your entire HT setup. Plus, you'll be a walking electro wizard.

Let me know how the thing progresses.

#77120 01/15/05 11:21 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

First of all, the MX-700 commands in the file I provided aren't new or old, they are the codes that Denon uses for all of their receivers. I'm not having issues with them on my 3803, so you shouldn't either.

My apologies. I was under the impression that the codes for the 3803 might be different from my 3805 in that there are several buttons on the remote that do not seem to work with my receiver. You're absolutely correct that I haven't spent the necessary time researching these things; maybe some of those buttons only work in a particular mode or something. My fault! <--- let me copy that phrase right now to have available for pasting!

In reply to:

since it only happens when you fool around with the 700 file

I'm not convinced that it's something with the 700 any more than a front-panel button. It was just something I saw as a remote (HA!) possibility in that I assumed the 700 codes to be for an older model receiver and I couldn't come up with any concrete solution to what was happening. My Fault!

In reply to:

you will need to get into the manual to resolve this. Start with looking for the information on the Auto Mode setting{{SNIPPED}} Also, take a look at the section of the manual titled "Troubleshooting".

Unfortunately, I have found nothing helpful or telling regarding the mode setting, and the "Troubleshooting" section is very rudimentary: "Is the AC cord plugged in?" -type stuff.

In reply to:

you may be making some assumptions about the commands/labels in the 700 file I sent and shooting yourself in the foot.

Very possible as I stated above, but as I mentioned, I'm by no means convinced it's the remote at all, and I HAVE used the Denon remote as well.

I tried a reset on the Denon receiver a few minutes ago, which I was trying to avoid so as to not lose all my settings. Unfortunately, I'm still not getting DD. I think I might check into resetting my cable box/DVR in case it's the source that's the problem.
In reply to:

You should really set aside the time to master these guys - they are at the core of your entire HT setup.

Exactly why I feel it's so frustrating. I've spent so much time setting this system up, and I'm very frustrated that I still seem to be patching "issues" and not, as of yet, really enjoying the setup!
Normally, will all the equipment and the issues they sometimes bring in video production, I'm very good at tracking down problems by eliminating variables in the "signal chain". In this case, I seem to do nothing but hit walls.

Thank you verymuch for taking the time, Ray. I really do appreciate your input!

#77121 01/16/05 12:06 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Boy, I wish I could give you the magic pill. I just don't know what is happening there in front of you.

#77122 01/16/05 01:37 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
OK, I've been through the 3805 manual. From what you have described, what I was trying to explain earlier is likely the solution. I wish I had explained it better.

Get to page 63 of the manual. In the right hand column, middle of the page is a section under the heading of "Input mode selection function". The first few lines expalin that when setting this to "Auto":

".... the types of signals being input to the digital and analog jacks for the selected input source are detected and .....the surround detector is selected automatically upon playback."

There are other modes to choose from, as you will see when you read the manual. If you move out of "Auto", which I believe you are doing when you fiddle with the remote, all of the automatic sensing and switching is compromised. Note that each push of the "Mode" button on the remote or receiver toggles to a new mode. Read pages 63 & 64 carefully.

Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited by Ray3; 01/16/05 01:38 AM.
#77123 01/16/05 04:39 AM
I would perform a "master reset" of the system. Once I had my 2805 running at top notch, but being the curious type, I soon screwed it all up playing/tweaking. The reset setting places it back to just when you first opened the box and smelled that brand spankin new receiver...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Problem Solved!
#77124 01/16/05 06:45 PM
OP Offline
Ray and Randy:
Thank you both for your help!

Randy:
As noted in my post above, I actually DID do a reset on the Denon and unfortunately, it did not help. Thank you for giving my problem consideration, though... I owe you a beer!

Ray:
I have experimented with the "Input Mode Selection Function" and hadn't gotten any results. I was not as clear as I should have been in my first post when I wrote that "I should read the manual". It sounds as though I hadn't read it at all. And really, I had gone through the majority of it. I wouldn't be so rude as to ask for help without first trying to help myself a bit. The only parts I hadn't studied were the pages of surround modes and parameter charts (pages 83, 84 and 93-100) to see if there was some little irregularity I was missing. I'm not puffing myself up; I guess I'm just explaining why I feel so guilty for posting: I hadn't exhausted all my options yet.

Thank you again, though for going "above and beyond". I really can't believe you took the time to get the manual (.PDF at Denon.com?) and read through it for me. It's beyond considerate; it's the sign of a true friend to go out of his way like that. Then again, maybe you were flying so high after yesterday's game that you were doing nice things for strangers on the street as well! Either way, I owe you a case of beer at this point!

The good news is that the problem is solved. Just as I was hoping someone here on the forum could provide a different viewpoint... someone else did. My wife Joyce! She had suggested late last night that resetting the cable box might do the trick, but I couldn't do it then as it was recording something on the DVR. Today I reset it, and WHAM! my Dolby Digital indicator lit and the text display on my Denon screamed Dolby Digital! Well, it certainly seemed "screamie" to me!

The funny thing is, I usually troubleshoot her editing system. In this case though, she had the good sense to follow the signal path as I've always told her... but somehow forgot myself!

I think it's my slight intimidation with the Denon that threw me. I've owned nice....but simple.... equipment in the past like my NAD separates....before all this "surround stuff". I think sometimes having SO many surround modes and sources and variables is more than I'm comfortable with yet. Not being confident in my mastery of this receiver led me to assume that's where the problem was, and that it was something I was doing in the settings (either remote or front panel). I need to stop tweaking and refining and just settle in to enjoying it and learning it as I go along! Hmmm, my edit suite doesn't intimidate me at all but my Denon does!

And, I should have remembered my own advice to step back and look at the problem objectively, and follow that signal path, eliminating variables!

Thank you guys again! Now, Go Pats! In Dolby Digital, no less!

Re: Problem Solved!
#77125 01/16/05 08:02 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Boy, am I glad it was that simle (but elusive). Glad you got it squared away.

I must thank you for this issue. It triggered something for me that I hadn't realized. Based on all of this yesterday, I spent some time thinking about it last night. I then did some experimenting on the 3803 this morning. Turns out that the receiver/remote setup I have been using is definitely lacking.

I just finished redoing the remote. I went into all of my devices and erased the existing commands I had for the various sound modes (DTS, 5 CH/7 CH, Stereo, etc.). They weren't functioning. I had the receiver set to "AUTO" and pushing the individual sound mode buttons didn't do anything. Although I had a "MODE" command on the MX-700, I had learned the incorrect version from the Denon remote. There are 2 buttons named mode - go figure, and I apparently chose the wrong one when I set up the remote! The one I chose didn't do anything.

I just finished "re-learning" the individual sound mode commands and the MODE command to the various devices MX-700. I used the applicable sound modes, I didn't place all of them on each device. For example, there is no reason to put DTS on the TV device.

The MODE button command, I can now get out of Auto. This is important because if the receiver is in the Auto mode, no individual sound mode codes will be accepted in the event you want to change the audio.

Anyhow, it works much better now. Thanks Mark - looks like we both had a good learning experience here!

#77126 01/16/05 09:23 PM
OP Offline
In reply to:

Thanks Mark - looks like we both had a good learning experience here!

You're welcome. Boy, the things I go through for you! I really do hope you appreciate them!

Maybe I'll trade you an additional case of beer for the new Denon code someday soon! That probably explains why I thought the code was for your receiver and not mine... some of my buttons didn't do anything!

Of course, I didn't pay any beer at all for that last set of codes!

#77127 01/17/05 12:47 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I really appreciate your personal sacrifice. It makes being me a little easier.

The MX-700 file (my personal one) was more for display and ideas than actual commands. I would suggest that you use the learn function "learn" between the remotes for most of the basic commands (number pad, sound modes, etc) - makes them easier to keep track of. For the more unique commands (individual speaker adjustment and the like), the David Gray file with drag & drop should work very well.

BTW - I AM keeping your beer-owed tab running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters