#77429 01/17/05 11:47 AM
H
Helbore Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
Hi there.

Ok, I know this question sounds a bit retarded! Why would someone want to connect the DVI interface to the component interface. Well this is my reason. The A-11 has an inbuilt Faroudja line scaler that only works on the DVI output. My HDTV, however, doesn't have a digital interface. The A-11 also requires that its connection be HDCP compliant.

Now I would love to be able to scale my DVDs up to 720p, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some gizmo I could attach that would have a DVI-HDCP input port and a component video output port. I'm not bothered about the conversion to analogue, I just want to find some way to get the use of that fancy scaler!!

So does anyone have any ideas or am I clamouring after a lost cause here?

Re: ConnectingDenon DVD-A11 DVI to Component Interface
#77430 01/17/05 01:45 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I think that you won't find such a beast... at least not in the tradional "cable style" (there might be a black box solution out there somewhere).

It's not a matter of connector type, it's that you're dealing with two completely different signal types...digital and analog.

I think if there were such a black box available, the necessary enclosure, digital to analog convertors, power supply, etc.. produced on a small scale would cost half as much (or more) than replacing the TV.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: ConnectingDenon DVD-A11 DVI to Component Inter
#77431 01/17/05 08:36 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
The HDCP copy protection must be preserved from the DVD player through the display device. Although I think it's a bit silly, I have read that this even includes converting the digital signal back to analog. So although such a black box is certainly technically feasible, I believe the HDCP license (and thus federal law) prohibits making it.

On the positive side, I think you have the perfect excuse to buy a new display.

Bruce

#77432 01/17/05 08:47 PM
H
Helbore Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
I was hoping that there would be some sort of box I could attach that could do this, but it looks like I'm out of luck.

Unfortunately, my display was only bought last year and cost a rather large £7000, so I dont think I'm ready to replace it just yet. Plus I'm hampered by the Uk's failure to adopt a spec for HDTV content protection yet, so you'd be lucky to find a display available over here that wold have HDCP (or even a DVI port!) on it. They are available, but not in a high quantity.

I guess I'll have to put up with measly 480p (which does look bloody good anyway) until HD-DVD/Blu Ray players become popular.

Or I could just go and purchase a full blown Faroudja processor

#77433 01/17/05 08:55 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hmmm. I missed that you're in the UK. (I guess I read too much stuff in British when I just happily read through analogue, but then, I am currently reading "Eats, Shoots & Leaves.") I suspect you will still have the same problem with no one manufacturing such a device, but then again, you have a different set of laws governing copy protection, so maybe there's a chance...

Bruce

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters