Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: amp/preamp suggestion, should i get them 1st?
#790 01/12/02 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I did some searching and found the amp. I have not heard this model, or anything from them. I would definitely listen to it if possible. Tubes are a passion of some audiophiles, and do require more attention than solid state. With only a single tube, it will be less of a concern.

For your CD player, certainly models from Adcom, Arcam and Rega are good choices. Integrated amps in your range would Cambridge Audio, NAD, Rotel. I would lean towards the Rega Planet CD, and avoid DVD players for serious music. I have yet to hear one that can match similar priced CD only models. However, there are tradeoffs to be made, with budgetary constraints as paramount.

Your turntable is made by a company that was serious about making audio gear many years ago. Then it switched focus and started to design "Lifestyle" (their phrase) gear, with more effort into radical appearance than actual substance for musical reproduction. It would be better than most turntables up to about $350, but badly outclassed by a midfi table. There are several choices in the range above it, such as the Rega Planar series, and of course a Linn. If you are switching to CD, than keep the B&O, and focus on the CD player.

You seem to have a good plan, Audio integrated, Rega Planet, Axiom speakers, decent cables. This will be a MAJOR upgrade over your current setup.

PS, I have had Axioms in my middle system (midfi) and they have provided many years of great service and sound. I did a similar upgrade as you are undertaken (from mass market equipment to better, targeted gear) and was impressed. I also have built a hi end system, and enjoy that as well. One thing is for certain, it is a great hobby!

Also remember you should look at a better quality interconnects and speaker cables as well.

Best of luck,

BBIBH

#791 01/12/02 04:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree that Axioms are better than Bose, but the problem areas in this system are not his speakers.

You over state the electronics portion, but you are correct to a point in that certain classes of equipment will not provide much improvement. But by placing a top source (Linn turntable, Spectral CD player) in the current system will produce better sound than placing top speakers (Reference 3a , Wilson or Von Schweikert) in the current system. Most of the gear I list is in your stated ranges.

It is an interesting experience to hear the combinations of hifi source-midfi electronics, and midfi source-hifi electronics. On the whole, if the time is taken to hear this in proper setups, it is very revealing.
The person in question is in a transition from mass market stereo gear to ecomony midfi. There are many wonderful days ahead of him/her for listening to many kinds of equipment.

Regards,

BBIBH

#792 01/12/02 06:18 PM
old hand
old hand
Thank you. right now i'm debating whether to go ahead and get the cambridge audio d500se cd player and the cambridge a500 integrated amp. goodsounds does a great review on them with the m3ti's. I've actually seen a package deal on the net that offers these with the m22's at a real affordable price. it also includes quality interconnects and speaker wire. plus the amp allows for an upgrade to allow phono input.
I'm going to spend some time today searching the net for rega cd player (they look very cool, I may even increase my planned budget from them).
it's so hard. the internet is amazing for research, but not being able to listen first is difficult. especially if your trying to decide whether spending $1500 on a system will make it better than your existing one. thanks for all the input

#793 01/12/02 08:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not sure if you are the originator of the thread, as it was "anonymous" and you have a user name "Duff", but if you are, the gear you are looking at is much better than your current stuff.

I have heard the Cambridge A500, with a mass market source(not to be mentioned, but not very good) and Monitor Audio Silver 4i speakers. My immediate thoughts were that by putting these to pieces with a good quality source, it would be a very good entry level system for around $2k.

I agree that deciding to spend money on equipment you can't physically touch or hear is difficult. Perhaps if you check the manufacturers websites, they can link you to a local dealer/ distributor. I guess I am lucky in that respect, because within a 30 minute drive in any direction lands me at dealers that respresent almost any piece of gear I wanted to check out. I have a hi end dealer a block away....and he carries Rega!

I have made many friends, including some of the actual designers of the products.

....I have visited Axiom and met Ian sometime back!!

This has gone from a quest to bring home my first stereo after graduating from college ( an Akai....yes I know!) to a 20 year hobby that has spanned many timezones and built many solid friendships.

anyway....enough rambling!

Best of luck!

Regards,

BBIBH

#794 01/12/02 10:00 PM
old hand
old hand
yes i'm the originator of the thread. i registered. it's a lot easier to follow my own post and locate the new replies to the threads.

I spoke to a canadian dealer early today and the package deal he has seems good. he says the cd player and amp work well with the speaker to create a really nice sounding entry level hifi system.
i live an exit away from a high end store. they have rotel, paradigm, and stuff way out of my price range, plus everything is wired with transparent cable and interconnects. i've listened to their reference systems. truly amazing!
the dealer there was trying to suggest the dvd player along with a conrad johnson tube pre amp pv-7 (used $400) and a sonograph amp (used $300, i've been told they are made by conrad johnson). along with paradigm mini monitors. i guess it would be a good idea to bring it home and try it, but i thought i could do better with an integrated amp and a nice CD player.

how mush is a nice rega planet sell for?

#795 01/13/02 01:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess you are from Canada....since you mention Canadian dealer. I have seen the prices in both US and Cdn $ CDN - $1300 and US $950.

Used is another way to go, as you can typically find older, higher end gear that has been traded in. SOme high end models are designed to be "upgraded" to modern standards on par with current equipment (Linn and Oracle do this for their turntables, and Linn for some electronics.)

Rotel is not a bad choice, considering your budget. Paradigm has good speakers, but nothing in the price range to compare with Axiom and certainly not the Mini Monitors. As a side note, I compared Paradigm, PSB, Mission, Infinity and Axiom all in the same price range. I chose the Axioms. Keep in mind this was many years ago, and things may have changed. But at that time, for $1000, I found them the best. I ranked them: Axiom, PSB, Paradigm, Mission and Infinity.( This is one mans opinion, so easy on the flaming!! ;)

I would not choose a DVD to reproduce music, with any DAC.

As I mentioned earlier, tubes require attention, whereas solid state do not. Something to keep in mind.

I think you have found part of the downside of the hobby. That is finding the proper choices given the different pieces available. If you are doing the upgrades piece by piece, I would suggest picking a piece and using it to evaluate the next purchase. If you are doing it all at once from one dealer, it is easier to test them together.

At one point, most Linn dealers dealt Rega, as Linn recommended Rega's turntables for those who could not afford the Linn LP12. Most of these dealers also sold gear like Naim, Creek, Rotel, Rega and Linn. A dealer like that could solve your problems!

Maybe you could check websites for local dealers?

Regards,

BBIBH

#796 01/13/02 02:10 AM
old hand
old hand
actually i'm not from canada. i'm from new england. i came across the dealer on the outlaw audio website in a thread about axiom speakers.
the most difficult part is i'm trying to force myself to remember it's a budget system for my computer room. i know there's a good chance once i start i'll want to keep upgrading. this already happened with my home theater system. i started really cheap with a cambridge soundworks system with a marantaz sr5000 receiver. over the past two years i've upgraded every few months. i now have the newton series with the m80 in the front with the p1000 sub. ( i know this is not consider hifi, more like mid- fi). It's fine for movies and pretty decent for music, but if anyone is using the tv or if i'm on the computer i can't enjoy music. so that why I want to stay on a budget and get this sytem with the axiom.
anyway thanks for the help. i'm defintely going with the axioms. I may take it slower on getting the other components. the hifi store near my house actually allows you to trade in anything for up to a year. once i get my speaker i'm going to choice an integrated amp from the store and buy it. i'll audition some of the rotels cd players, and find one that works with my system. I'll probably buy their pioneer dvd player though, it's 24/192 , and once i save up for the cd player i'll trade in the dvd player.
any rotel cd player you recommend, or rotel integrated amps

#797 01/13/02 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That is the danger with a hobby...remembering that you need to limit yourself in certain areas! At least you can continue to listen to equipment without feeling guilty.

I mention the aspect of living in Canada, only to warn that equipment released in the US is not necessarily certified by the Canadian Standards Association. This body tests all comsumer products (with some exceptions) for safety and compliance to established standards. Some equipment requires rework/redesign to be certified for sale in Canada. Using equipment not approved can cause issues if problems occur...like insurance and repairs.

Rotels line is fairly small, 3 integrateds, 4-5 cd players. Features you need may help you make a choice. Rotel (and NAD) are famous for putting more "into" the box (design, better quality electronics transitors and high current power supplies) and focusing less on the flashing lights and super duper features. Basic, high quality electronic design and good sound for the money.

Regards,

BBIBH

#798 01/14/02 12:31 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
On a very good side note, over the past decade both UL and CSA have set their standards to be standard with each other. Not all electronics sold in the US is UL approved but if it is and if it was manufactured in the last 5 years it will be made to the same electrical standards as CSA. You will notice now that the mark is usually either CUL or NRTLC which is the standard that is now the same in the US and Canada.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#799 01/14/02 01:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the clarification and update. I was not totally clear on CSA regulations, but remembered the discussion from college...some YEARS ago! ;)

Regards,

BBIBH

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082