Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: amp/preamp suggestion, should i get them 1st?
#800 01/14/02 03:32 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
when bbibh said " an Akai-yes I know " what did he mean. Akai's are good or bad? I happen to have an old one and it doesn't sound good although it could be the speakers.

#801 01/14/02 02:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I meant that when I bought it, I thought it was good, and after a little time and exposure to better equipment, it became painfully aware of the problems with it. Some equipment is designed and marketed at certain markets. The mass market equipment typically have lots of features, many of which will go unused. The main focus is on the lights, bells and whistles, with little on the sections that actually are important in reproducing music. In Amps, these areas are output electronics (Tubes vs. Transistors vs Integrated Circuits: and power supplies), for CD players (transports - plastic or better materials, lenses, time phase errors, clock jitter).

However, there will always be a market for low cost equipment. I will admit that as a young teen, this equipment vastly outplayed the equipment it replaced.

Regards,

BBIBH

#802 01/15/02 12:35 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
BBIBH, Thanks for explaining and taking the time to help.
I appreciate it!
marc

#803 01/15/02 02:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You are more than welcome. I enjoy audio, especially hi fi enormously, and have spent 2 decades listening, working and playing in the field.

If there are any other questions, please send me a message!

Regards,

BBIBH

#804 02/01/02 11:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Well after a month, and many many hours of research on the net, I've got my new system. I going to be getting some new speaker wire in the next few weeks and maybe a new turntable by next year.
I went with the m22 speakers. I went through a Canadian dealer,very helpful and great customer service. Aslo I liked the stands he offered with them and they were at a good price.
For a CD player I found a used California Audio Labs DX-2. The dealer was the original seller and the customer had only had it a year.
The integrated amp I bought was an Audio Aero Prima integrated amp. Demo, bought for less than half price, originally sold for $1600.
I went with a JPS ultraconductor interconnect. Just need to pick up some decent speaker wire now. Still trying to decide. I think I'll take my time and auditoin several types from the local hifi dealer. Probably stay under $100, most likely get a pair in the $30 range.
Total spent on system, including speaker stands, speakers, cd player, and amp $1600.
I'm completey blown away at how good it sounds

attention BBIBH, any recommendations on a turntable and a quality phono pre amp. Under $1000 for both price range

Edited by duff on 02/01/02 06:58 PM.

#805 02/02/02 04:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well. are you callin' me out duff???? ;)

Nice choices! Glad it came together for you! I would not get too over the top with speaker wire. It does make a difference, particularly the size/gauge. You have made good choices to this point.

So, a turntable huh? Well here are two manufacturers that make the worlds best tables - Linn (Scottish) and Oracle (Canadian). See what they have to offer. I know Oracle has a lower cost table, and I think Linn maybe serveral dollars out of your range(like 2-3 thousand!)

Linn actually recommends a competitors table for the budget challenged - Rega. Look for a Rega Planar 2 or 3, with the best Rega arm (they make RB300, 600, 900 ) and quality cartridge you can afford. The Planar 2 list for $500 US, and arms are sometimes included in a package. The individual costs usually breakdown as such for the Planar - table $450, arm $300, cart - $250, but your negotiation skills can be used freely! I think they may have packaged the P2 and RB250 arm, and the P3 and RB300 arm. This may or may not be the case in your area. If they do, then purchase a little better arm if they give trade ins or a better cartridge.

Check them out online : http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

P.S. - I have both a Rega 3 and a Linn 12. Both are quality pieces, and the Rega was recommended by a Linn dealer. A friend has an Oracle - another quality piece.

I will have to dig into a phono stage. I will update as possible

Regards,

BBIBH

#806 02/03/02 03:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ok, with a little research, I found what I was looking for. Sorry for the delay, it has been sometime since I needed information on external phono stages!

Creek offers one for MM or MC cart's, Audiomat, and Lehman offered good quality models as well. Bryston used to offer a step up transformer (TF-1 if memory serves). This was some years ago, so it may be discontinued.

Regards,

BBIBH

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082