Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: FREE SPIRIT CHILI
#78413 01/22/05 01:00 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I think dump 4 might last a long, long time, and might possibly be lethal.

#78414 01/22/05 01:38 AM
shareholder in the making
Tom,

I've actually had about 3 different chili powders at once lined up for a quick pinky dip taste test. There are quite apparent differences. Most chili powders are actually a combination of powdered dried chiles (ancho and other mild chiles), oregano, cumin, garlic, and sometimes salt. Since the quality of all the ingredients determines the quality of the whole, it's only natural that they taste different. I'd experiment with different brands to find one you like, or make your own.

I found that the bulk chili powder at Whole Foods is pretty good, but you can't beat Penzey's Spices versions for 'wow' flavor.

#78415 01/22/05 03:56 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
bj - I was surprised to see that the recipe doesn't include jalapeno peppers. Or even better - habaneros. Any reason they aren't included?

#78416 01/23/05 12:23 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Well I tried BigJohns chili recipe.WOW this was the best tasting chili I have ever had.With this recipe I had to add nothing once it was done.Usually I have to add some salt,hot sauce or some thing to make it taste a bit more to my liking,not this time.Even the kids (18 and 20) commented that this was the best chili they have ever had.It is a bit on the spicy side but not to hot as to where it interfered with its great taste.Even the wife says it was the best.

I had mine with some jalapenos and flour tortillas man it sure went together great.Kudos to BigJohn for such a great recipe and for sharing it with all of us.Perfect on a cold winters night here in northeren Ill.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#78417 01/23/05 02:32 AM
Who will be the next to try Big John's 3-Dump Chili???

After reading your review, I may have to try it myself. I wasn't going to since my wife doens't like overly spicy food, but if it was a hit with your entire family, it seems like a pretty good bet that it will be here, as well.

I might have to make something else for little Steven, though.

#78418 01/23/05 04:10 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
OK.. lets see if i can answer all the questions..

FIRST- rick, i am so glad that you liked the chili. it is a little hot, but not overbearing. heres why.. it is a 'competition' chili recipe. and when they do the judging of the chili, they usually only take 1 or 2 bites. so you have to put as much taste into those 1 or 2 bites as possible. you have to make a BIG impression. so, it is a spicy recipe, but still very delicious in small to medium portions. thanks again for the kind words, i am truly pleased that you and your family liked it.

tom- sorry the recipe was confusing.. YES, the "ground red pepper" is cayenne. i think there is a big difference in different brands of spices, but to be honest, they will all have the kick you are looking for. i personally prefer mccormick spices off the rack for everyday cooking. they even make a "texas spicey chili powder" that has a little more kick to it. but, we get all of our chili spices in bulk from Penderys. since we go to soooo many cookoffs a year, it just makes sense to buy large quantities and seal-freeze them til we need em. Penderys has very consistent and quality spices. they are one of the top suppliers for the folks on the chili circuit.

ray- competition chili, or true texas cili, has no 'extras' in it. no jalapenos, no bell peppers, no onions, no chunks of tomatoes, no beans, no rice, no noodles, etc.. its just meat and sauce.. in fact, your chili can be disqualified and rejected from judging if it has 'extras' in it. but, trust me, if you cook the recipe, you will see that it dont need any extra, it is plenty good and hot the way it is.. but also, you can mess with the recipe all you like. it is just a starting point, feel free to experiement. just dont try and turn it in for judging..

peter- YES, there will be a 4th dump. this chili will definitely 'clean out the pipes' as we say. i dont want to scare anyone. it aint gonna keep you on the pot for 3 days or nothing. but it will flush your system.

i think that was all. ? and if any of ya'll try this, feel free to add whatever you want. although, i prefer chili in its purist form, you are more than welcome to make it to your tastes. and if you do make sime, please revive this thread and tell me. i would love to hear what you think of it!!

EDIT- sorry peter.. forgot about the stove question. when we are at the chili comps, we use the standard coleman two-burner cooktop. so, gas. but, you can make it at home on a regular electric stove top. i have done that several times. the biggest problem there is that you have MUCH more control with a gas fire. sometimes electrics have temp swings that make for inconsistent heat. just make sure to keep an eye on it. as stated in the recipe, a nice slow simmer will make the best chili. be patient, it is worth it!!

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 01/23/05 04:27 AM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#78419 01/23/05 05:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cool, I pass Penderys on a daily basis. Its smack dab in the middle of what photographers call the "photo district".
Do they make any other good or special spices that you would recomend?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#78420 01/23/05 09:33 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, I have to add one to the chili list. I got this off the net a long time ago. I add a can of beans at the end of cooking, but thats a personal preference and this chili tastes excellent just as is.
I end up adding more chicken broth during the latter stages of cooking because it gets too thick and threatens to burn.
Mac

AXIOM Chili

Gray 2-1/2 pounds of cubed beef chuck tender in 1 TBSP Crisco

Add
1 Can - Swansons Beef Broth
1/2 Can - Swansons Chicken Broth
1 - 8 oz Can - Hunts Tomato Sauce
Float 2 Serano Peppers
Bring to a boil and add the following:

First Spices
2 TSP Granulated Onion
1/2 TSP Cayenne
2 TSP Wylers Beef Granules
1/4 TSP Salt
2 TSP Wylers Chicken Granules
1 TBSP Pendery's Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
2 TBSP Gunpowder Foods Texas Red Chili Powder
Cover and cook 1 hour - squeeze peppers and discard pulp

Second Spices
2 TSP Pendery's Ground Cumin
2 TSP Granulated Garlic
1/4 TSP Gunpowder Foods Hot Stuff
2 TBSP Gebhardt Chili Powder
1 TBSP Pendery's Fort Worth Light Chili Powder
1 Packet Sazon Goya
Adjust liquid with remainder of chicken broth, if necessary
Cover and cook 30 minutes

Third Spices
1 TBSP Gebhardt Chili Powder
1 TSP Pendery's Ground Cumin
1/4 TSP Granulated Garlic
1/4 TSP Cayenne
1/4 TSP Brown Sugar
Reduce heat to a slow boil
Cook 10 minutes
Adjust Salt, Cayenne, and Gebhardt Chili Powder to taste

Gunpowder Spices - 1-800-PEPPERS - Website: BIGBRUCE.COM
Pendery's Spices - 1-800-533-1870 - Website: PENDERYS.COM

#78421 01/23/05 12:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So BigJohn, is there an easy way to modify this for a "mild" version. I would consider trying it, but my wife and I both don't like spicy things, so I have a feeling it will be a bit much for us.

#78422 01/23/05 03:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks Bigjohn! It sounds wonderful. I'm going to give it a shot next weekend. Do you recommend a particular beer to go with it? (Dumb question )

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617