Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Forum observations.....after one year.
#78503 01/22/05 05:07 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I would like to, at this time, post about my experiences, on the forum.
After, the recent "flap" about forum etiquette, and such,.....I thought I might offer a unique perspective.
Being relatively new here myself, AND new to "forums" in general,.......these are my thoughts, and observations.

AFTER I bought, and received my Axiom speakers, like most, I was so thrilled with my new speakers and system, that I wanted to "share" the experience, so I joined this forum.
I had not visited here before making my decision to buy, but..after the fact, I thought why not?

I went on, to get kind of a rough start.
Posting from work, and rushing too much....I tried to share my experiences with forum members. My first posts were (to say the least) not too well recieved. Much of it was my fault......here where I work, the PC always has the caps lock on, so that first time, a awkward, cheesy, post was made, cap locks, and all.
Needless to say, I was quickly admonished, and a wee bit embarrased. My second mistake, was trying to tell everyone about my speaker wires.
I had no idea what a hot button issue THAT is! (or why). I also had a "flame" reply to a early thread. (thank's to the "PM" feature, we straightened it out).

I know how some "newbies" must feel, when they excitedly post for the first time, and then come back to find the ensuing "train wreck" of a post, flames and all. (I've tried to improve my posting skills since my "caps lock" days).

So, before I get way too long, here's my message.

TO the "regulars":
EASE UP, some take this WAY too serious.
Be mindful that to newbies, this can at times look, and sound like a private club, of "buddies" talking to each other.
If someone, (especially a newbie) takes the time to make a informative, and interesting post for us to read, and you don't agree with it,....... don't shoot them down right away......just because someone disagree's, does not in every case make them "right", and the poster "wrong",.... keep it respectful.
It's a good thing for Axiom, and the forum to have "regulars" here to field questions, and disseminate information, for all.
There is however, (even in this situation) a responsiblity too. (We don't want people who are considering buying speakers, or who already have...not wanting them because of an altercation here.)

"Scientific members":
You, (in my opinion) add credibility to the forum, with MUCH
information, and additional industry insights.
I must say however, there is one "flaw" in many of the positions most of you take on the "what will make a REAL difference in the sound" posts. You have (in most cases)NEVER owned, tried, or even seen, some of the items "that DON'T work". SOMETIMES, the replies to those who have "heard" improvements, and want to share, are a bit harsh.......and leave some who reply, looking pompous.

Newbies:
Don't be intimidated.......POST.
This is a great, and very HONEST forum........you can learn here. (however...don't post and TRY to "stir the pot"...please).

In conclusion,....this is a great forum, which I really do enjoy. I wanted to post this from my perspective to see if anyone "see's" themselves in what I wrote. We don't often enough think of thing's from someone else's vantage point.
A person I work with has this catch phrase: "what's the world's #1 problem?"........communication! THAT'S what this post is really about. The written word...is quite an "art form" to master, I'VE re-discovered that,....RIGHT HERE. So many thoughts, can get lost in the translation, when written out.

FINALLY, one more thing I've noticed that may help us all.....read ALL the post, and be sure you "get it", before you reply. I can almost SEE where someone found something they didn't agree with, stopped reading, and made their reply.

Well, I hope this is "INTERESTING", and doesn't tourqe anyone off (if so,you can send me a PM, if you like )................just a good read.

LT

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Re: Forum observations.....after one year.
#78504 01/22/05 06:08 PM
I
veteran
veteran
I
Well said.This forum is definitely a font of information. Sometimes people get very possessive of their equipment, and post to justify their choice over another. It's understandable and has not been too egregious. Overall I think most people are well received and personally,I have learned an incredible amount here.

Last edited by izub; 01/22/05 06:13 PM.
#78505 01/22/05 06:59 PM
old hand
old hand
Very well said.

I think a large issue with this forum is post hijacking into personal jokes, side bars, etc. Such hijacking could potentially stop others, who might have had good comments to contribute, from posting, since the topic was changed. I’ve noticed it happens a lot in this forum, since so many are such good friends. I think it’s enjoyable to make funny remarks, but when a newbie has a technical question that doesn’t get very well answered--because someone took the post a different direction--is a shame.

#78506 01/22/05 07:56 PM
shareholder in the making
Very well said. And your penchant for ellipsis (you know ".......") is unsurpassed.

#78507 01/23/05 02:41 AM
The whole time I thought you were talking about AVSForum, most of what you said goes on over there, that is why I hang here more often.

I would say about the only thing I'm with you on is the hijacking. It is somewhat iritating when a post goes from, oh lets say "Help with Crossover settings" and ends up talking about "White Castle" restaurants in Chicago...

Actually I've seen just the opposite of your points. We've had newbies or freshmen come on here and instantly attack Axiom speakers or our respected members. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tactfull/intelligent comments, but there are many who like to drop by once a month or so and drop an unfactual comment, just to get us all boiling.

Hopefully we can all just get along....later

peace out

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#78508 01/23/05 03:08 AM
I'd rather we all got a long....now.

#78509 01/23/05 07:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Well put LT

This is a great forum with some very knowledgable people participating, and I thank you for that.

Now get ready for some football!! (sorry I'm not trying to hijack this post)

#78510 01/24/05 01:38 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hijacking, was about the only thing that WAS NOT in my post.

(Larryism)
#78511 01/24/05 02:14 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thank you,.......another of my posting proclivities (in addition to the over-punctuation), is all the ..............'s they are part of my..(heh heh) "style"

(Larryism)
#78512 01/24/05 03:13 PM
"and then come back to find the ensuing "train wreck" of a post, flames and all"

"and sound like a private club, of "buddies" talking to each other"

Sorry LT61, I know you didn't specifically use the term "hijacking" but the above two sentences could be interpreted that way by some. Forum threads can be hard to read people, a person can be joking, but another person does not take it that way.

Anyway, hang in there and remember, we where all newbies at one time or another. Most of us probably remember freshmen week in highschool.

later

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup