Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M2i as a surround
#7894 01/11/03 05:37 PM
RRCarlo Offline OP
OP Offline
I have M22tis and Vp-100 as my front speakers. I'm thinking of getting the M2i for surrounds. They appear to have the same tweeter and mid-woofs as my front speakers and I suspect that the blend would be excellent. I would put them on 4-foot stands behind the couch and angle them into the room. The problem, in case you're wondering, with the QS-4 and QS-8 is two-fold: First, when you include the practically mandatory stand -- which I'm not happy about --they cost $200 to $400 more than the M2i. Second, the way my living room/family room is shaped, some of a multi-pole speakers' drivers end up firing into a space where no one is sitting and where the nearest wall is fifteen feet away. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: M2i as a surround
#7895 01/11/03 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I recommend you review my reply to KCMike in the recent post "Speaker and receiver selection".
I added several links in that post which you may like to read, especially the post in which i did a personal review of the M22s vs. QS8s as surrounds.

In regards to the issues about 'mandatory' stands for a QSx speaker, i do not use any at all.
My QS8s sit on a shelf and the other on a sidetable. Some others have also done this and to compensate for the downfiring woofer, i bought some one inch plastic 'furniture feet' from Canadian Tire and stuck them on the bottom of the QS8 to lift it a bit off the surface. The sound is just fine.

As for your idea about the multipole speakers firing into an 'empty' area, that IS the point.
The QSx speakers were designed to project sound into various areas and not directly at the sitting/listening position. This is exactly how they disperse sound and make the surround sound effect work. I can just about guarantee you will have alot more placement and tweaking issues by using direct radiating speakers for surrounds as opposed to a design like the QSx.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup